Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fishing stories good and bad  (Read 4631 times)

charles

fishing stories good and bad
« on: September 11, 2007, 02:29:28 PM »

Well, I was fishing for pinks during the weekend at the richmond famous spots...  I do early in the morning 6ish to 8ish only.

During the time I was there and fishing and catching fish, I did came across some fish stories.  I thought I would share with you.

1)  I hit a pink where I cast my lure.  It was way out there.  Most people caught them 10 feet or closer from shore so this one was a bit odd.  It fought real hard and after 5 minutes or so, I realized it was a foul hook.  The lure was clearly showed on the dorsal fin.  After I brought the fish in close to the rocks, I went down wet my foot and unhook the fish.  Then I gently rock the fish by the tail back and forth till it gains its strength to swim away.  In the mean time, I was told way up by the road that I have to release the fish.  And I told the guy I don't keep any and I know foul hook fish has to be released unharm.  It was nice to see people still care.

2) 3 gentlemen were fishing some distance away from me.  They caught a nice fighting-leap-a-lot fish.  It turn out to be a nice coho.  They did a picture and release it in the water.

3) Although I saw a lot of fish bonking moment, there were a few practice catch and release, thank you... 

4) A father bonked a foul hooked fish in front of his son while people were saying you have to release the fish.  Then he took the fish and drove off right away.

5) Trash belongs to the trash can.  There are people throwing emptied cig. boxes, cans of beer and soda, plastic bags all along the shores.  Please, if you are one of the people read here and do that, bring a bag and just put your own trash away.  You don't have to pick up other people's trash.  Just don't litter along the river.

6) A guy cleaning his fish right after catching one did not mean he was not going to fish anymore.  Please don't run and take his spot.  Not just 1 guy, 2 went over and cast where he caught his pink.  And they were not friends...

dspot

Re: fishing stories good and bad
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 02:50:10 PM »

I think that was me that told you that the fish has to be released (near 3 road docks)... in no way did I mean to offend you, or did I think that you were going to keep the fish, I just know that there are a lot of beginners in the area (not you necessarily) who may not know that you cannot keep foul hooked fish. I heard from a few people that they saw someone keeping snagged fish a few days before that, so I just thought I'd let you know in case you didn't.

How did you do that morning anyways? That area seemed to be slow, so I went up the river and managed to hook 6 fish between 9:30 and 10:30 that morning, but only 1 nice female that was worth keeping ;D

Maybe I'll see you around this weekend.

charles

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 04:13:47 PM »

No offend taken at all...  In fact, it is nice to know someone actually would say something to educate others...

I did ok.  I manage to have a 6 hook up and landed 3...  Kept one only though.

I dont know what time you get there but it was not slow in the morning.  The fellows on your left actually hook up quite a few in the early morning hours...

Well, i should be there Friday morning and sunday morning. 

Nice to meet you...

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 05:11:47 PM »

Hey charles were you fishing the lower fraser on the weekend? i think you were the guy that said " back for more" to me. It funny how the father kinda jumped into the water to get the fish as it almost got away... :-[

charles

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 05:16:38 PM »

Oh hi :)  Nice to see you too... 

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 05:37:25 PM »

Not a bad weekend...got a spring and buddy got a coho on top of a dozen or so  pinks.

charles

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 05:42:39 PM »

Your friend is pretty lucky that morning...  he came, first cast, a fish :)

When is the next time you be out? 

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 06:33:16 PM »

prolly this weekend, then after that to another system for awhile.  :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 07:28:48 PM »

Good stories Charles. pink salmon is the best salmon species for entry-level anglers because they are plentiful, they are eager to bite, they are not too big for anyone to handle, not too small to disappoint anyone, and they taste good when eaten fresh. Due to these reasons, I have no problem promoting it as much as possible and sharing most of my successes with those who wish to learn. I rather have people doing this than racing to the Fraser Valley for the other troubled fishery.

Yes, there are many people doing it in this area, but crowding is not a big issue. Because river current is absent or moderate, tangles don't take place very often as long as everyone casts straight. It's a social fishery, which many of us take part and enjoy doing so together as a group.

It attracts a lot of newcomers, because the fishing locations are so close to urbanized areas. New users are sometimes disconnected from the river/nature. Garbage can be a problem, fishing without a license can be a problem, foul hooking fish can be a problem, misidentification of fish can be a problem, releasing fish without care can be a problem. Sometimes when seeing so many fish in the water for the first time, some people get overwhelmed and think they are in a supermarket where everything is free. Some can only be satisfied if they catch their quota everyday, but the reality is that no one needs to eat that much fish. It's all part of the progression of a salmon angler.

It's up to us who have been doing this for awhile, to provide information to those who need it or wish to learn. It's also up to us to work with the enforcement agency to single out those who wish to ruin it for the rest of us.

Enjoy the rest of the season. There are a couple more weeks left before other systems start to pick up.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 10:10:01 PM »

Regarding licences... I'm amazed at how many people are surprised when fishing the lower Fraser that their fresh water licence does not suffice for that part of the river and that they need a tidal licence.

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 10:50:42 PM »

Good read Rod.....

I have not been out too much because of work and people not showing up to work. Tried the Vedder a couple of times but its still quite slow. Hopefully it picks up this weekend.

charles

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 10:32:33 AM »

Regarding licences... I'm amazed at how many people are surprised when fishing the lower Fraser that their fresh water licence does not suffice for that part of the river and that they need a tidal licence.

I have talked with a couple people and they were surprised that they NEED a license to fish the river by the shore...

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 10:55:27 PM »

I have talked with a couple people and they were surprised that they NEED a license to fish the river by the shore...

I'm surprised more people aren't getting nailed for trying to fish with the wrong licence or innthe case up above...no licence at all.  Obviously a CO shortage down this way.

Piranha

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 06:14:36 PM »

I was fishing a river and tried to cross to the other side. The water level was about 1 inch from the top of my waders when water started filling in down my back.  >:( lol  That got me upset so i quicly got out onto the shore. Went back to my camp site walking along the river and climbing and jumping rocks when my footing slipped and i fell in up to my neck. The pool must of been at least 10' deep. I was there hanging on to a rock while trying to kick my legs as hard as i could to get myself back out onto the rock.

I had my $600 camera in the bag which got wet and damaged. :(      What a bad day. grrrr

Yesterday i went to capilano river to catch some little cutthroats and almost crawled out of my skin/ripped out all my hair out. I must of spent over an hour trying to tie an improved clinch knot. It was getting dark and when i finaly got it i cut off the excess and to my suprise it was the main line.  ???  I cursed, packed up and left.
Never had such a difficult day trying to tie an improved clinch not. I said to myself 'wtf'.

charles

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 07:46:41 PM »

I'm surprised more people aren't getting nailed for trying to fish with the wrong licence or innthe case up above...no licence at all.  Obviously a CO shortage down this way.

I think they are more concern about the illegal sturgeon fishing / keeping there than a few pink salmon...