Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Neoprene or Breathable Waders  (Read 6443 times)

flatlander

Neoprene or Breathable Waders
« on: September 17, 2007, 02:03:46 PM »

Any opinions as to what type/brand waders I should go with?  I've been thinking about the Bare Sport 3's with some Sedge Boots.

Thanks

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
Re: Neoprene or Breathable Waders
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 02:08:20 PM »

bare black water have some good ratings...thinking of getting a pair tomorrow.

Sandhead

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 02:12:09 PM »

I have a set of Bare neoprene and they have lasted reasonable well, I've had them for almost 5 years. They do a great job when the weather is cold and the prices today are fairly reasonable. The downside is if you need to use them during the summer. They are way too hot to be comfortable.

I also have a set of Patagonia Watermaster waders and they are the bullet proof. Since i picked them up I havent used the neoprene's. I am way more comfortable during the day.

It really depends on what your going to use them for and when. Float tubing a lake i'd probably suggest neoprene's however if you fishing during the summer and don't want to wet wade then the breathables are your best choice. Patagonia is an amazing company with a similar enviro ethic as my own and they really stand behind there products. They have the best warranty in the business, only downside is you get what you pay for so they tend to be more expensive then the Bare's.

I have the hodgeman's boots :) Planning on replacing them with the Patagonia riverwalker's if they ever wear out on  me
Ain't no HO like a COHO

flatlander

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 02:26:51 PM »

Thanks Ivan/Sandhead, I've had a pair of Dan Bailey breathables suggested.  Wasn't sure if the extra money was worth it.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 04:34:43 PM »

Simms G3.  Best waders out there.  The only question is what wader is 2nd best.  Probably the Simms G 4, but at $700 US, it probably isn't the biggest bang for the buck. 

Arnie Salmonegger

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 05:08:05 PM »

bare black water have some good ratings...thinking of getting a pair tomorrow.
I agree with Ivan, unless you want high end waders (Simms, Patagonia) which are top quality but also top price.  The first Bare Blackwaters had problems with leaks in the crotch area but it seems Bare has fixed this.  Bare has a good warranty, plus it's a local company (I think).

The Simms G4 model is the new one with the waterproof zipper, which sells for about $500 more than the Bare Blackwater and about $300 more than the Simms G3.  Seems a lot of money to pay for convenience (especially for the ladies! ;D).

JL

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 05:26:35 PM »

I recently purchased a pair of g3s...was sick being covered in sweat with my neoprenes after a days fishing. Have yet to try them on the river but they sure feel a lot better just trying them on at home.

Blackrt03

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 05:28:55 PM »

I have the simms L2 and they are worth the money.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 06:22:32 PM »

I've also had a pair of the Simms Lightweights and have been using them for the last 4 years.  The only leaks I've had to fix on them has been on the butt from sliding down the steep Thompson trails on my keester when they're so icy and snowy that you can't help but go for a ride.

I also have a pair of the G3's.  They're an awesome wader....the only downside is the stocking foot if you're on the bottom end of their sizing.  The medium foot of the G3 fits considerably different than the medium bootie of the older Lightweights.  Simms now make sthe medium foot a size 9-11 so if you're a legitimate size 9 like myself there is too much extra room that you have to contend with.  You'd think for the amount you have to pay for them there would be more than 3 foot sizes to choose from.  Oh well, such is life.  Thy're still a great wader!

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 08:33:17 AM »

Im very happy with the Wright and Mcgill breathables I bought. Bought them big enough that when fishing in the winter I can layer up underneath. but them being breathable they are nice and cool in the summertime. Had some neoprenes before and found them too hot in the summertime....

cheers
always a student

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 11:11:54 AM »

I bought the new simms L2 this summer and the are definatly nice. 5 layers from just above the knee down. I would of bought the Bare blackwaters but their sizing sucks for us slim challenged people. The bar warranty is really good. Lifetime on the seams and the factory is in Langley so it is nice and close. I have a pair of Bare neos that I have had for the last 3 years and they are still in good shape(will only use these now in the winter).

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Lumps

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 12:01:35 PM »

I have the G3 from Simms, I liked em so much I have continued to purchase just about all the Simms gear they have for the river or lake. The best functional gear out there.
Best 4 wheel drive I ever had was a company 2 wheel drive.

flatlander

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 07:09:59 PM »

Thanks everyone for the great feedback.  Just one other question.  Are Neoprene waders safer in the river than breathables?  If you take a tumble in the water are the breathables more prone to filling with water?  Whereas the neo's are a tighter fit.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 07:22:38 PM »

They are about the same flatlander. The bare black water, there is draw string you can tighten it with. Also with waders you should ALWAYS wear a wading belt.

Pat AV

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 12:52:44 PM »

I only use neopreans for float tubing (hike in lakes) breatables with fleece and polypro layers are good enough for any walk and wade situation

Pantagonia and Simms both are great waders.

I just wore out a pair of bare cutthroats it took me almost 2 years (that is good when you put in 200 days a year of hard fishing) they were just over 150$ can't go wrong for the price.

How many day a year do you put in? If you are a weekend warrior than bare or low end simms like the Freestones should be plenty.
If you are nuts like me than maybe go a bit more pricey, although I never do. I am wearing freestones right now and am happy so far. Depends on what you need and how much of an addict you are.

As far as safty if you fall in the drink, I would say that Neo's are alot safer since they are highly boyant but as was stated even with neo's a belt is wise.
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav