Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser's Rarest catch of all September 17th, 2007  (Read 3734 times)

Obi Wan

• Fins & Skins... Ya Baby!
Fraser's Rarest catch of all September 17th, 2007
« on: September 17, 2007, 02:38:30 PM »

My bud, Shane just started to hunt for Pinks a couple of days ago. He persevered all day long Saturday. Didn't go without catching anything though.
CLAM ON!!! He caught a clam! Yes, a 1/2" clam closed it's 1/2" shell on his 1" hook.  ;D 
10 more of these, & he'll have a cup of clam chowder, 15 more & he'll have a bowl. But in the spirit of conservation, he practiced catch & release & the clam was release without incident.

Rod, do we need a clam tag?

Rod, let me know how to upload the pictures. This one's for the ages.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 06:31:31 PM by Rodney »
May the fish be with you!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Fraser's Rarest catch of all
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 02:39:56 PM »

Nice one. I've done crayfish, never a clam here. ;)

Photo posting:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=12876.0

Just do the photobucket.com sign-up, upload photo there and paste in the codes here.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 02:50:20 PM »

It's illegal to fish for clams using spinners and spoons. ;D

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 03:04:12 PM »

I think a salt water (tidal) licence is actually required for all shellfish.....don't need a tag though  :D

BTW, was there any aerial action during the fight?

David_R

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 04:35:35 PM »

Hah, still doesn't beat the time I caught a rock with a cluster of mussels on it!

(See you can also tell your friend, in fishing there is always someone around who will try to one up your achievement, the next guy in this thread will say he caught a can of campbells soup, and the guy after will tell us he caught the same can but it came cooked with warm bread to dip into it)

Arnie Salmonegger

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 04:40:20 PM »

Shane must have been using a heavy leader.  I've heard clam teeth will slice through a light leader faster than a ling cod's. ;D

JL

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 05:14:43 PM »

But David. Did the mussels bite? Seems the clam did

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Tidal Fraser River September 17th, 2007
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 11:08:40 PM »

The clam-man was still going at it when I drove by this afternoon. Somehow, he managed to catch another one! :o Two clams in one day on the Fraser River, that takes skill for sure.

I decided to fish from 6:00pm until dark and attempt to intercept a fish or two during tonight's weak incoming tide. Surface activities were rare. Once awhile a few fins stuck out in front of me, indicating small schools of fish passing by.

At around 7:00pm, I had my first hit. It was a light one, so I left the rod alone and slowed down the retrieve slightly. The spoon was already fairly close to shore. I could see it in front of me soon after the initial hit. I then spotted a small pink salmon following right behind it, then took another bite at it. At this point I set the hook, it gave it a few shakes and popped off. The spoon flew over the head.

The following cast, I was surprised by yet another tap. This time it was quite distinct so my reflex set the hook. I could feel that it wasn't hooked firmly. Another silver doe rolled and circled around, took a long fast run along the edge of the shoreline. It too popped off just when I thought it would be netted. This fish actually felt more like a coho salmon. I guess I will never know.

As the sun went down, rollers started to show up. Before my retrieves, I twitched the spoon several times. Somehow I believe this triggers turbulence in the water and alerts the surrounding fish. It works for me quite often, and did again tonight. After the twitches, I had a huge hit just when I started turning the reel handle. A big buck surfaced in front of me after a minute or so with the entire spoon swallowed! This fish wasn't going anywhere. It beached itself and hopped into the net after a good fight.

Didn't see any other fish landed. The peak run maybe over, there are still fish around. Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 11:15:05 PM by Rodney »

gheart008

Re: Tidal Fraser River September 17th, 2007
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 09:30:11 AM »

The clam-man was still going at it when I drove by this afternoon. Somehow, he managed to catch another one! :o Two clams in one day on the Fraser River, that takes skill for sure.

I decided to fish from 6:00pm until dark and attempt to intercept a fish or two during tonight's weak incoming tide. Surface activities were rare. Once awhile a few fins stuck out in front of me, indicating small schools of fish passing by.

At around 7:00pm, I had my first hit. It was a light one, so I left the rod alone and slowed down the retrieve slightly. The spoon was already fairly close to shore. I could see it in front of me soon after the initial hit. I then spotted a small pink salmon following right behind it, then took another bite at it. At this point I set the hook, it gave it a few shakes and popped off. The spoon flew over the head.

The following cast, I was surprised by yet another tap. This time it was quite distinct so my reflex set the hook. I could feel that it wasn't hooked firmly. Another silver doe rolled and circled around, took a long fast run along the edge of the shoreline. It too popped off just when I thought it would be netted. This fish actually felt more like a coho salmon. I guess I will never know.

As the sun went down, rollers started to show up. Before my retrieves, I twitched the spoon several times. Somehow I believe this triggers turbulence in the water and alerts the surrounding fish. It works for me quite often, and did again tonight. After the twitches, I had a huge hit just when I started turning the reel handle. A big buck surfaced in front of me after a minute or so with the entire spoon swallowed! This fish wasn't going anywhere. It beached itself and hopped into the net after a good fight.

Didn't see any other fish landed. The peak run maybe over, there are still fish around. Good luck.

:'(   I don't get it... I tried every night for the past two weeks and nothing at all....  I guess the spots Rod goes to are just filled with fish while the places I go never have fish...

Good catch Rod.

I did catch a bullhead with one of the pink spoons I got from you... no salmon though...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 01:21:26 PM »

They are indeed harder to catch down here this season, so keep trying. The amount of fish I am seeing coming through everyday is no where close to what we saw two or four years ago. The bites have also been harder to detect, quick and light.

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 08:15:07 PM »

Fished the lower fraser tonite, and fish on the first cast!  When I pulled the fish out of the water I was surprised to catch my first largemouth bass.  However, i don't know if I should be happy about this ???

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 09:07:30 PM »

Sure it's a largemouth bass  ???

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 10:58:26 PM »

Yes, I have pictures on my phone. Caught using pink spoon. :o
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 11:00:29 PM by Will_CARP »

gheart008

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 12:39:13 AM »

Fished the lower fraser tonite, and fish on the first cast!  When I pulled the fish out of the water I was surprised to catch my first largemouth bass.  However, i don't know if I should be happy about this ???

Where exactly was this?  This sounds interesting...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 12:56:35 AM »

Largemouth bass have been caught in the tidal portion of the Fraser River around Richmond before, just rare and will most likely remain so due to the tidal influence.