Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cheakamus Sept. 19  (Read 4202 times)

hickman

Cheakamus Sept. 19
« on: September 20, 2007, 08:24:54 AM »

Got out to the Cheakamus on a nice warm and sunny late afternoon to look for coho.
Fished a nice pool with a friend who used flies. I tried casting and had 2 bites on a Coho lure, caught one nice big dolly.
Still lots of pinks around and certainly a few cohos that we saw jumping, but no takers, neither on the fly nor spin casting.
Will try a float setup next time...

Good to see that there are quite a few fish in the Cheakamus again...
hickman 8)

Taboo

Re: Cheakamus Sept. 19
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 09:15:32 AM »

Any word on when they may open 'er up for retention? 

Guess a bit early for the Chum's still......

hickman

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 09:20:20 AM »

According to the current posting on the DFO website you are allowed to keep 1 hatchery Coho and 2 Chum per day after Sept. 15. No fishing for Chinooks!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 11:45:43 AM »

Salmon regulations for the Squamish River and its tributaries can be found at:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Freshwater/region2_e.htm

Bookmark it for future reference.

Blackrt03

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 07:17:44 PM »

Thought the regs allowed 2 springs under 55cm.Anybody been there lately.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 07:29:50 PM »

any signs of the Chumin the Squish yet ???

hickman

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 06:22:27 AM »

Thx Rodney.
Also look at the in-season changes - Cheakamus is ZERO Chinook retention but Squish and Mamquam are open in certain areas.
I heard of Chum but have not seen any myself. I have seen Coho. Will report  back on this...  ;D
hickman 8)

hotrod

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 06:34:12 AM »

No chums yet Britguy.   Maybe see you on my rock soon!!

Hotrod

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 11:06:59 AM »

Something I just noticed after hickman's post. Although there is a non-retention for chinook salmon in the Cheakamus River stated by the latest fishery notice, the daily quota still states 2 under Cheakamus River in the freshwater salmon supplement.

Someone needs to update the existing regs whenever a fishery notice comes out and affects the daily quotas. Time to email someone.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 08:39:42 PM »

Hotrod just give me the nod and i will be there with the trusty short float method ;)
Last year i out fished a guy about 10 to 1 with 99% of mine hooked in the mouth
he kept looking at my gear to see what i was using
we both had a float, lead and red wool
he did not realise that the only difference was  i was short floating and he was well === bottom bouncing with a strike indecator :o
and only snagging fish >:(
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 08:48:14 PM by Britguy »

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 09:08:57 PM »

heres a few tips on float fishing
Set the Depth of Your Float – You want your hook to travel approximately one foot or more off of the bottom. If the water you are fishing is four feet deep, set your float 3 feet above your hook. Remember, fish cannot see down as well as they can see up, so you want your offering to drift above the fish. They will rise to grab your hook, even during cold water conditions. As you begin to fish the run if you notice that your float is catching/jerking backward, your hook is probably hitting bottom so you will want to shorten the float’s position. Similarly, if you make several passes along a run and don’t catch a fish, try going a little deeper.

Keeping a close eye on your float will tell you a lot about the position of your hook. It should always precede your float down river. The ideal situation is to have your float standing straight up and down or slightly tilting up stream. If the top of your float is leaning down river, this means that your hook is dragging behind and to correct this situation you'll need to reel in your slack and pull back on the float.

If your float is tiling back a lot, your hook is probably traveling too high off the bottom. Try a heavier lead.
just some tips i read ;D

hickman

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 10:23:11 AM »

yet another update...
Rodney, thanks for pointing out the discrepancy between the regs and the in-season changes - that is why I pointed the in-season changes! Everyone should check before heading out! Sometimes it is really confusing.
Anyway, fished the same spot on the Cheakamus this morning @ 6.30 to 8.00. No takers, much less action. No signs of Coho, tried pink wool gooeys, and lures - nothing.... still a bunch of pinks around. It was still nice to get out, see the fog lift and the sun break through...
hickman 8)

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 07:11:43 PM »

im going bright and early monday morning....
always a student

hickman

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 08:52:19 AM »

@ Dereke... let me know how it goes....
I went out to the Cheakaums again last night with a couple of buddies - a couple of big chromers jumping but we didn't get any - tried lures, spoons, spinners, wool etc.
If you head out to the Cheakamus pay attention to where you are allowed to fish - the right side of the lower river is mostly Native reserve land.
I might try the mouth of the Cheakamus in the next few days.
hickman 8)

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 01:25:24 PM »

went out to today for a bit. saw some rolling and porposing fish on the Cheak early this morning. chucking chartruse and purple the whole way without a sniff.  went over to the mouth of the mamquam, walked and casted all the way down to the end of the bar... no hook ups but had a couple of schools of silver fish pass me by. nothing is holding yet that is for sure. they are moving quickly when you see them... beauty of a morning. maybe another week if we get some rain we will see some larger schools on a more consistent basis. saw both chum and coho this morning but it seems like most of the movement stopped as soon as the sun was up.

tight lines
derek
always a student