Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sept 21 2007 - Vedder  (Read 6031 times)

c-pin

Sept 21 2007 - Vedder
« on: September 22, 2007, 09:22:34 AM »

Fished the Vedder today from the Alison Pool to the Canal (KWB).

Choice of Terminal Tackle? ROE!!

I got a beautiful chrome jack spring in the upper. Stopping at Freds, I asked what the conditions were like in the lower river. "Kieth Wilson Bridge" was the reply. As I was fishing with my Dad, I thought it would be a good idea. He has had a Cardiac condition, and his equilibrium is off due to his medications; he gets dizzy quite easily, and tires quickly. I must admit, I know I may sound like a snob, but I have turned my nose up at KWB suggestion before. Today was not about me though; it was a day out for my Dad. Let me say 3 words about the fishing KWB; "Oh my God". There were waves of pinks surging up river. Many of them not a rods length from shore. The fishing was fast and furious during this time.

It was not long before we were into Pinks. I noticed Dad changing up his roe every 3rd cast or so. So I went over and tied a "JS Special" wool tie for my Dad. The next cast - COHO. He was almost in tears as he has not had such a fish in about a decade. He hasn't lost his touch though. With firm but steady rod pressure, he allowed the fish to run when he needed it to, but in short time he eased the fish to the beach.

I met Chris Gadsen face to face. It was a pleasure to meet you. Your work for the resource is very much appreciated. I also met "Birdman" (I can't remember your name), but in no time, he was showing my Dad and I what a great angler he is.

There were some not so pleasant incidents at the river. We got "corked" by a couple of Bottom Bouncers. I knew we were going to have trouble when I saw the bouncing betty at the tip of the rod, and he was holding on to the leader by the reel. The hook was trailing about 4 feet behind him. He stepped in front of my Dad, right on top of his roe tub. Of course my Dad being the outspoken type, called him on it. Words were exchanged. I guess he figured, "He's just an old man", and got a little lippy with him. Unfortunately for him, I was about 50 feet away from my Dad; lets just say my bite is very much worse than my bark; and my bark can be fierce. So, for some reason, the bottom bouncer skulked away.

When they left, three new fishermen came by. They were fishing with a float, a long leader with a Krocodile and 3 jensen eggs on the hook. I went to them and asked how long they had been fishing. "This is our first year", they said in very thick Indo Canadian accents. I asked if they wouldn't mind me showing them how to rig up for the river? "Please do", was the reply. So 3 more "JS Special" wool ties were rigged up. I showed them that the leader only needed to be no more than 2 feet, and how to short float. My Dad and I left very shortly after setting them up. The smiles were very broad as they too were into fish as we were leaving. So the balance of life seemed to equalize.

In short, we left the river with one Jack Spring, one Coho, and 2 silver Pinks.
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

Plum Smugglah

Re: Sept 21 2007 - Vedder
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 09:35:43 AM »

Sounds like a great day.  Good report as well, thanks.  Where is the KWB? is it east off Vedder road?

JackFunk

• Miskatonic U. Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »

Great Report C-pin,

Nice to hear your dad broke his decade drought, and nice of you to help out those beginners, a few kind words and some help, and I am sure those guys will go home talking about the nice man that helped them.

PS, got any photos of the 'JS Special'? I think I might sneak out of a brunch here and head out.

c-pin

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 10:55:51 AM »

Hey Guys!

The "JS Special"?? I don't know guys !! ;) Are you part of the "Secret Handshake / Centrepin Enthusiast / Cigar Loving Club" ?? You are ?? Good.

No pics required. It's easy. Use only 1/4 to 1/3 strand of wool about 1 inch long (small profile). Use 2 shades of the same colour. (Hot pink / Baby Pink or Peach / Orange or Red / Flame Red). Also put a little (key word - little) "Angel Hair" in it for some sparkle. "Angel Hair" is bought in the fly making section of the tackle shops. That's it. I'm sure other people use this, but my Dad dubbed it the "JS Special" as it was the hot ticket yesterday. The "JS" are my initials BTW.

Good Luck.

BTW - we were short floating (about 24 inches), with about a 18 - 24 inch leader.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 11:33:41 AM »

Kudos to you for showing a couple of beginners the proper technique. Two thumbs up.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 12:16:12 PM »

Sounds like an excellent day!  Good to hear you  and  your dad got into fish.  I'm thinking of  heading up tomorrow?You in?  Call me later if you are.  ;)
President Club S. C. & P.

c-pin

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 03:12:19 PM »

Hey Merc,

Sorry buddy, but I'm pulling a shift as a Paramedic tonight (Saturday) ... I'm off at 2:00 am, so I will be sleeping in.

I will be going up on Thursday if you want to meet up.

Cheers, John

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 05:11:23 PM »

Can't this Thursday.  I'm committed to delivering training for one of those computer programs we both use for my office.
President Club S. C. & P.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 05:42:32 PM »

I also met "Birdman" (I can't remember your name), but in no time, he was showing my Dad and I what a great angler he is.

what are you on, crack?  :D
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

flatlander

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 05:45:37 PM »

Good Karma for showing the beginners the proper technique.  Good things happen to good people.   :)

Yofishon

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 06:41:48 PM »

Great report ! 

In faster currents or higher water areas , do you use any weight with this short leader  , float technique ?
Leave the area as clean , or cleaner than you found it !

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 06:54:26 PM »

If the runs are short and fast, then use slightly heavier weight and a much shorter leader (1 foot or less). The heavier weight allows the bait to reach the fishing depth right away and the shorter leader prevents the bait from floating up and above the fishing depth.

Yofishon

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 07:10:56 PM »

Thx Rod.

Sounds like that would mean putting the weight right beside the hook ??
Leave the area as clean , or cleaner than you found it !

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 07:21:33 PM »

Nice job J. Meant to go looking for you on thurs. as the old guys didn't show...would have liked to fish with you and english mike again...give me a shout on this thurs.
Paul

c-pin

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 10:38:25 PM »

Hey XG ... I'll call you this week. I will be on the Vedder on Monday with my Dad. Probably either Tuesday or Wednesday with English Michael. On Thursday, it may be just me, or my wife may come along.

Talk to you soon, Paul.

Cheers, John
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 10:40:32 PM by c-pin »