Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sept 21 2007 - Vedder  (Read 6033 times)

Lex2000

Re: Sept 21 2007 - Vedder
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 11:55:33 PM »

Excellent report C-Pin.

Did you use JS Special for Coho as well?

c-pin

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 01:14:39 AM »

Hey Lex 2000.

My Dad got the Coho on the Wool Tie (JS Special), not the roe. Go figure !! ???
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

Lex2000

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 07:48:54 PM »

C-Pin

You said to use 2 of the similar colour coordination of wool? ie.. orange/peach

when are you heading up to Vedder again?

Lex2000

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 08:55:37 PM »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 09:21:12 PM »

Great report. Thanks. It is always nice to hear some one offering help to greenies by sharing your knowledge and skill. Only confident fishermen will be doing this. Good job and salute.  :)

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 09:47:49 PM »

yofishon

heres a few tips on float fishing
Set the Depth of Your Float – You want your hook to travel approximately one foot or more off of the bottom. If the water you are fishing is four feet deep, set your float 3 feet above your lead. Remember, fish cannot see down as well as they can see up, so you want your offering to drift above the fish. They will rise to grab your hook, even during cold water conditions. As you begin to fish the run if you notice that your float is catching/jerking backward, your lead is probably hitting bottom so you will want to shorten the float’s position. Similarly, if you make several passes along a run and don’t catch a fish, try going a little deeper.

Keeping a close eye on your float will tell you a lot about the position of your hook. It should always precede your float down river. The ideal situation is to have your float standing straight up and down or slightly tilting up stream. If the top of your float is leaning down river, this means that your hook is dragging behind and to correct this situation you'll need to reel in your slack and pull back on the float.

If your float is tiling back a lot, your hook is probably traveling too high off the bottom. Try a heavier lead.
just some tips i read

Yofishon

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2007, 10:11:59 PM »

Britguy

Beauty ! Thanks for the outline , + rig details. It makes perfect sense.Can't wait til the fall . Is it common to have the weight right on the hook  ?
Leave the area as clean , or cleaner than you found it !

c-pin

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 09:13:53 AM »

Hey Lex2000,

When I say "Use 2 shades of the same colour", what I mean is: use colour that is similar. The peach / orange combo works well for Coho. I also use 2 different shades of red (blood red / flame red), 2 different shades of Pink (cerise / bubblegym) etc......, so you get the idea.

I don't use a big profile of wool, even in coloured up water. I put the wool on the bait loop, and I will trim it down to about the size of a pea. Look at the various sizes of "Jensen Eggs". That will give you an idea of the size I trim it to.

Read what "Britguy" wrote on shortfloating ..... I can't add anymore to it, as he knows his stuff. So Britguy, what part of the old country are you from?

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 09:15:22 PM »

Just to add abit of what c-pin  says keep it small (i use tiny piece of pink or red feather) and you dont need a big hook

So Britguy, what part of the old country are you from?

Cleveland, North East Coast
I used to beach fish in the winter at night
sometimes it would be so cold my live bait(Lug\Rag worms) would freeze even though it was wrapped in newspaper

c-pin

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2007, 09:48:59 AM »

Hey Britguy,

That is pretty cool. I was born in Oldham, Lancashire. As a kid, my Dad and I went to Bridlington to ocean fish. We would river fish when we went camping in Wales.

I was 12 when we moved, and of course, fishing quickly became the #1 pastime.

mmmroe

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2007, 11:23:55 AM »

yofishon

heres a few tips on float fishing
Set the Depth of Your Float – You want your hook to travel approximately one foot or more off of the bottom. If the water you are fishing is four feet deep, set your float 3 feet above your lead. Remember, fish cannot see down as well as they can see up, so you want your offering to drift above the fish. They will rise to grab your hook, even during cold water conditions. As you begin to fish the run if you notice that your float is catching/jerking backward, your lead is probably hitting bottom so you will want to shorten the float’s position. Similarly, if you make several passes along a run and don’t catch a fish, try going a little deeper.

Keeping a close eye on your float will tell you a lot about the position of your hook. It should always precede your float down river. The ideal situation is to have your float standing straight up and down or slightly tilting up stream. If the top of your float is leaning down river, this means that your hook is dragging behind and to correct this situation you'll need to reel in your slack and pull back on the float.

If your float is tiling back a lot, your hook is probably traveling too high off the bottom. Try a heavier lead.
just some tips i read

Very good point made ;) i'll add a bit to that to get you setup floating thru the strike zone. You need to control your  drift with some tension. (easier with a pin in my mind)