Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: another lower Vedder - Sept 22  (Read 5689 times)

charles

Re: another lower Vedder - Sept 22
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 05:14:04 PM »

Obvious coho. People REALLY need to learn to id fish. You know sockeye in the vedder are fin clipped too soemtimes right?

i do know sockeye can be clipped as well and if you read the post completely, someone already asked that question...  I was just not sure 100% if it was a coho or jack spring as stated on my orginal post.

I just don't get it sometimes.  I came in and asked a fair enough question and do a report.  And you came along and gave it an attitude "REALLY".  I am sorry that I was not an almighty fish god like yourself can obviously ID a fish and start telling people "REALLY" need to learn.  I just don't have a born knownledge since birth that can ID a fish.  I learnt it along with other kind fisherman that will share information and knownledge with others without thinking that they are almighty.  I am sure you can tell the fish apart that you never have to learn from others and never have raised a question like that before.  I am so sure... 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 05:25:31 PM by charles »

charles

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 05:32:28 PM »

BTW, even the fish counting lady thought it was a jack spring... perhaps she needs a lesson from you too as well.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 09:17:39 PM »

Don't get too upset Charles, Birdman is pretty young and probably didn't mean anything.I don't think that fishes ID is that obvious at all. If you look close there are some spots on the lower tail that have faded since it was killed, and you can't see the gums well.

When I was on the river at my spot a guy came in that bragged alot about his ability and seemed to be a very good flycaster. He hooked a really nice jack and he thought it was a coho. He was about to let it go when I said that it was a spring jack. After we went over all the details that ID'ed it as a spring he finally believed me, but looking like a decent fisher.. I was surprised.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 10:01:08 PM by bug pumper »
Fish on!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 09:20:15 PM »

Yep, what bug pumper said. One needs to look at who the comment is from and the age of the poster before placing emphasis on it.

For clipped Cultus Lake sockeye salmon information, please see:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/070917_1.html

Chinook and coho id differences:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2006/0906_01.html

Nice coho BTW. All these good reports are making work in front of the screen rather difficult. ;)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 10:27:57 PM by Rodney »

charles

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 10:47:59 PM »

lol rodney...  I am counting the days till my next trip...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 11:11:50 PM »

I'm counting the hours. ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 11:40:59 PM »

I'm counting the hours. ;)
less than 7 for me, then a 5 minute drive. ;D ;D ;D

charles

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 07:44:30 AM »

:(  let's see, 4 more days...

charles

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 08:07:18 AM »

"it is not just him" -  are you grouping me with everyone else that ID a pink as spring, and a sockeye for a chum?  Sometimes you should really think before you type.  I came in here and ask a question.  And you came out with your attitude answer instead of informative answer.  If it is that obvious, there won't be a post about telling jack spring and coho apart in the general section.   

I usually don't associate age with know-it-all-type...  in this case, I think I can make an exception...

dspot

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 09:04:32 AM »

Just don't pay attention to him Charles  :) I'm sure there isn't one person on here that can say that they've never had any trouble identifying a fish.

charles

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 04:15:06 PM »

Sorry, it's just that before I went fishing for the very first time my father and I made sure we could actually ID our catches before heading out, to me it just seems common sense and anyones responsibility to know especially if you plan on keeping fish. I sure wasn't great at catching when I started but I sure tried to learn my fish species

look here...  you can read all you want from the DFO about how to ID fish.  Sometimes, jack spring and coho can be confusing at time.  As many here already said, it is not that obvious.  And I wasn't saying what salmon this is.  I stated that rather this is a coho or jack spring.  I know I can keep this fish so it has no point on saying I am not responsiable.  (Did you even read what I type?)  I go so far to say I will release it if the fin is not clipped cause the doubt.

So don't group me in my thread with the people not being able to tell a pink for a spring or a sockeye for a chum. 

This is the attitude we all needed in here....  I wasn't going to post anything in the report cause:
1) can't post picture unless you blank out the background cause it will give hint on where the fish is (people yell at you for that)
2) can't say where cause the same reason...
3) can't ask if a fish is a coho or jack spring, cause the know-it-all will flame you for not knowing...
4) can't report where the fish are biting cause it is a give away gong show the very next day...
and I don't think I am the first person to notice this happen... 

At last, we have to be able to pass a test first to 100% ID even the not so obvious fish before we can all go fishing...  And I am sure fish-god like yourself can 100% ID every single fish you have come across...  including hybird...  I am so very sure.

Drunker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2007, 05:08:19 PM »

stop posting on here charles, everytime you post, you get into so much dispute.  People will say what they want to say.  Remember, some of these people are little kids and they just want to piss you off.  so let it be.  And if they are goin' to say that they are not little kids, well, they sure act like it.  hahaha

charles

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2007, 05:22:39 PM »

true, I asked for opinion - not attitude :)