Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Canal - Sept 23rd  (Read 2799 times)

Taboo

Vedder Canal - Sept 23rd
« on: September 23, 2007, 07:03:06 PM »

Hit the Vedder Canal today, downstream of the Keith Wilson Bridge Gong Show.  Unfortunately, it was pretty much packed from the KWB to about 1 KM North...granted I was very lazy and didn't show up until around 10:00 AM. 

Anyways, I walked the length and found a few open spots and made a go of it.  The fish were fairly fickle.  Had 3 or 4 Pinks landed but none very clean or without that ever present hump.  2 or 3 foul hooks too...reeling in I "bumped" into them... >:( 

Saw one Spring on (but never landed - the guy snagged him in the back with a big fricken blade of some kind)...there was another guy who fought and lost a fish that he swore up and down was a Chum....

Outside of that, there were two father's fishing with a gaggle of kid's and they were keeping EVERYTHING they hit....whether hooked in the back end, the fin, didn't matter - if it was landed it was kept.  And some of the "keepers" were UG-LEEE!!  The poor kid's tortured them too.

Towards the end of my day, I found a hole about 300 feet down from the bridge that had 4 guys on the West shore (on the dyke) nailing fish like crazy.  I guess being above the water with polarized lenses helps...  In their defense, they were actually pretty good at releasing foul hooked fish even though a few of their keepers were deemed by them as "is it in the head at least?"...

Oh one other note, the river section directly under the bridge has a huge snag of logs wrapped around it.  This kept most guys away from it although I did talk to one European fella who planted himself upstream and was casting into the stream and givin' his line the huge yank each cast....said he saw some Coho's taken at first light...  Yeah.....read into that as you may...    ::)

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder Canal - Sept 23rd
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 07:16:10 PM »

Its a sad affair that river. I don't understand why people even use floats, when their weight is 8ft from the float and the water is 3-4ft deep. ??? Although it was fun hammering springs in front of a guy bottom bouncing yesterday while he caught nothing.

And btw, fishing was good for me yesterday. Lots of clean springs out there waiting to bite.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 07:16:47 PM »

if you see some wrong doing then report it(if you have a cell)
if we all do our bit to help the co's and the dfo then they can spend more time catching these idiots
I will be on the river in the morning and if i see any thing going on i will be hitting speed dial and calling and calling till someone comes down to take a look
and i will have the camera with me ;D

Taboo

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 07:42:38 PM »

Being relatively new to fishing, I still feel like I am missing the finer points of "the take"....like I am probably missing a lot of fish as a result of my inexperience.  Still though, I guess it's better to be the guy drifting and recasting instead of the guys who gives her the almighty tug like he thinks he needs to set his hook through 3 cow skin hides and ends up hooking into a fish every second cast in anywhere but the mouth!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 07:51:08 PM »

Dion, are you now working for Pacific Angler ?

Now back to regular programming.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 08:17:03 PM »

Violation report hotline: 1-800-465-4336

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 08:39:02 PM »

I'm disheartened when I read about the men teaching their kids the wrong way.  It's too bad fishing licenses aren't given out the same way drivers licenses are.  You have to take a class/test or other in order to be issued a license to fish.  We need to remember it is a great "privilege", not a "right" to harvest fish anymore.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 08:41:43 PM by bentrod »

David_R

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 09:18:35 PM »

I didn't catch anything at all, started at peach road in the morning but it soon got quite hot out and we both had only seen two fish dart upstream so we moved on. Checked out lickman road and there was a few fisherman there but we decided to go further downstream because there wasn't an easy way for my fishing partner to get down to the river.

Eventually we ended up near yale rd west between the highway and the railbridge, started out slow because we were just hitting the afternoon, the guy beside us caught a crawfish and we had a good laugh about that. As the tide started to change we began to see more fish coming up the river. The guy that caught the crawfish got a good hit on his rod and played and landed a 9.5lb hatchery coho, and from there the fishing in the area got pretty good, people in the boats caught a few more and then it started to die off around 6:30pm so we decided to pack it up.

All I caught was leaves and twigs, but it was still a fun day for me, being the first time out on the vedder. Looking forward to fishing there again in the near future.

Bit of scale loss by the rough landing he used on the fish, should have used a landing night but he put it up on the beach. Lucky for him it was a retainable fish.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 10:14:04 PM »

Dion, are you now working for Pacific Angler ?

Now back to regular programming.

Sure am. I'll be in there Sundays and alternating tuesday/thursday if my school schedule allows.

dan

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 12:26:49 PM »

Why the change of stores ???

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 12:40:18 PM »

I'm living at UBC, and it's a little far to drive all the way to PoCo for a few hours of work. If i move back to Coquitlam for the summer i will most likely work at Riverside again.

dan

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 12:49:57 PM »

oh