Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jacks Galore, Sept. 24, The Vedder  (Read 5418 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Jacks Galore, Sept. 24, The Vedder
« on: September 24, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »

No Journal today as I did not catch a coho as I thought I would. ;D

I arrive in the Hydro Bridge area of the Vedder, a little after first light. Even then I was a little late even though  I got up at 4 to do some work in preparation for the CVRCC BC Rivers' Day event. The first thing of the day is to place an order at Tims. When I arrive at Tims the sign on the door, closed from 10pm to 5 am, I thought they never closed. ??? I order a double double  as soon as the doors swing open and write out the order of 13 dozen donuts 7 doz. muffins, a few boxes of Timbits, cookies and two vats of Coffee. got to keep the volunteers happy.

Back home for a few more e-mails to send out and get the gear ready, finally off to the flow. What a nice fall morning, not shirt sleeve but still comfortable.
As I settle into my chosen run I notice very few anglers about, lots of room. ;D

As I put on the first piece of roe and are adjusting the Maple Leaf Thompson River Balsa Wood float to a depth which I guess to be about 4 feet off the bottom a fly guy is into a nice bright pink. The sight of a fish  makes me ready for action too.

It takes only a couple of drifts and the float dips a bit, then plunges from view, I am on too long a drift I am too late on the strike as well and I come up empty. ::) A new bait sees the same action and the same results, a bit rusty or what. :-\

A few cast later the float's red top is once again gone I strike firmly, solid, the line peels from the nearly 40 year old Avon, her clicker is off but the spinning action of the reel against ones palm is pleasure enough. ;D ;D

I see a sliver flash, coho maybe, no, its fighting like a chinook jack which after a couple of minutes as it shows its head I know it is just that. It is bright, a fresh fish, not long from the ocean so I retain it.
Then I get thinking, its over 50 cm, is the regulation now up to 62 cm I wonder as I start fishing again.
Darn I think, I saw it on the web site this morning but did not read Rodney's post properly, what a beak I am today. As I ponder and fish I am into another jack this one is not over 50, it joins the other on the shore, its fresh too.

What should I do, better mark it just in case, no a cell phone sits in my pocket, phone calls are made, no one answers on the first couple of tries, to early maybe, even no answer from "The Master", Rodney will be in bed  ;D no use phoning there. Finally I reach Terry who goes to the post and I am relieved, its is one over 62 cm so no need to mark the fish in one of the two spaces I have left on the license.

During all the phone calls the bite has seemed to have ended so I bundle up my catch back to the Leaf Mobile.

On the way out I stop to clean the two jacks, the run across the bar looks inviting, time for a couple of casts, whats the hurry, I am retired. I take the fish with me and set them on the bar.

A fresh bait is again attached and after maybe 6 or so casts the red top is gone again and another fish is fighting like the first two, as I beach it I see its size to be between the first two but bright as a newly minted dollar, it suffers the same fate as his brothers did.

I decide to quit, three fish are enough. On cleaning my catch of the day I see two are white, the middle fish is red.

I visit the local FOC office to see if they can come to the BC Rivers' Day event and then off to The Blue Cup for a look, to see what action is happening there.

I see a pink coming ashore as I scramble down the bank. On my arrival I see two chaps short floating roe. I watch for a while, not much happening but pinks are breaking water.

The two short floaters come over for a chat, they are vistors to FWR, nice guys. They have done well with some nice jacks as well an a nice hatchery coho, lucky guys. No not lucky, just good anglers.

As we talk a chap tossing a blade beaches a nice clean chum doe, the first I have seen even though I had not been out much. I guess the adult chinooks will not be far behind. :-X

I look at the chum on my way out, it is clean, the fellow does not want the roe, I accept it. ;D

All in all not a bad day, the jacks are there as well as the odd coho and even a chum. Go get them, the season has started for you and me. Gosh maybe this is The Journal after all,a warm welcome to it, on FWR, your top web page for fishing information in the North West.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 06:16:43 PM by chris gadsden »

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
Re: Jacks Galore, Sept. 24, The vedder
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 01:21:33 PM »

Thanks for the report Chris! A pleasure to read as usual!
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 01:31:21 PM »

Whatever became of the Maple Leaf drennan ? ;D BTW what the heck is a double double ?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 01:46:45 PM »

Whatever became of the Maple Leaf drennan ? ;D BTW what the heck is a double double ?
Resting. ;D Extra large Tims.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 02:15:21 PM »

Thanks for the report chris!!! Any pics??
weeeeeeeeeow!

charles

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 03:17:39 PM »

I also have a question about min. max. size of spring salmon... 

Someone told me that 30cm is the min. size and only one can be longer than 62cm...  Can someone verify that?

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 04:32:25 PM »

Hey Charles, here ya go:

This applies for the whole of area 2 (most of the Fraser valley, and lower mainland):

All retained coho must measure 25 cm or more from tip of nose to tail fork, and all retained chinook, chum, pink and sockeye must measure 30 cm or more from tip of nose to tail fork.

And from the individual river's regulations:

Chinook Jul 01-Mar 31 4 per day, only 1 can be over 62cm.

This is all from the government website:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Freshwater/region2_e.htm#Chilliwack/Vedder

In short, all that this all means is that you are allowed to keep 4 chinook per day, all of them must be over 30 cm in length, but only one of them may be over 62 cm in length.

make sense ?
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

charles

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 05:12:19 PM »

yes... thank you...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 06:35:36 PM »

Thanks for the report chris!!! Any pics??
Yes I will send to you later and you can share them here if you wish as it takes me too long to do it but when you see the Maple Leaf Thompson River Balsam Float with the TML logo on it beside the jacks you may not wish too. ;D

I know, I am a beak with this new technology. ;D ;D :-[

PistolPete

Re: Jacks Galore, Sept. 24, The Vedder
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 06:55:24 PM »

Chris the master is at Sheridan (back Sat) I am going up on Sunday hopefully he can tune me in..........

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 06:56:24 PM »

Hey Charles, here ya go:

This applies for the whole of area 2 (most of the Fraser valley, and lower mainland):

All retained coho must measure 25 cm or more from tip of nose to tail fork, and all retained chinook, chum, pink and sockeye must measure 30 cm or more from tip of nose to tail fork.

And from the individual river's regulations:

Chinook Jul 01-Mar 31 4 per day, only 1 can be over 62cm.

This is all from the government website:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Freshwater/region2_e.htm#Chilliwack/Vedder

In short, all that this all means is that you are allowed to keep 4 chinook per day, all of them must be over 30 cm in length, but only one of them may be over 62 cm in length.

make sense ?
I have never seen a jack chinook that small (under 30 cm) in the Vedder as the Fall run are nice good sized chunky fish, smelly but fun to catch. Of course any time you see your float go down it is exciting, you never know what is at the other end.

Prepared properly or smoked these chinook jacks are good table fare.

Another item re the size of jacks I have caught them as small as 8 inches on the Fraser and the Thompson River systems. One on the Fraser grabbed a #2 spinning glow. ???

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 06:57:10 PM »

Chris the master is at Sheridan (back Sat) I am going up on Sunday hopefully he can tune me in..........
The beak, slipping away when my back is turned. ;D ;D ;D

Have a good trip.

ea187

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 06:57:32 PM »

what are the actual regulations on keeping jacks, springs and coho?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 06:59:41 PM »

what are the actual regulations on keeping jacks, springs and coho?
Lots of info posted here on several posts and topics.

Also one can go to the FOC web page, lots of info there for you to wade through. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 07:01:55 PM »

To get back on topic less than 12 hours for more chinnok jack action. ;D ;D

Apologies to those that have to work tomorrow. ::) ???