Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Info on the Squam/Maq/Chek?  (Read 4864 times)

Yopesco

Info on the Squam/Maq/Chek?
« on: October 04, 2007, 05:01:32 PM »

Does anybody know whether they were blown or fishable today?

Yopesco

bateman

• paintings of fish and nature
Re: Info on the Squam/Maq/Chek?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 07:01:43 PM »

i fished the cheakamus and mamquam last november and caught a couple of chrome female chums. lots of roe. however , i smoked them and the meat was somewhat chalky in texture. has anyone else encountered this problem? is the spill still a problem for these fish?
paintings of fish and nature:
http://www.folkart-levin.com

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 08:45:21 PM »

the chromers I got last year were some of the best yet in terms of taste. Chalky can be a female fish issue I think. Did you brine your smoked fish? A dry brine of 25% salt, 75% brown sugar can firm the flesh up a lot.
You don't make friends with salad.

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 08:45:45 PM »

More importantly, when do the chum start showing?

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 09:21:15 PM »

there should be some in now but with all the rain the river was unfishable pretty much a few days ago. havent been in three days though so im not sure...i should have a report after the weekend.
always a student

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 09:23:09 PM »

aquaboy i encountered the "chalky isuue last year as well. what is your method of smoking the fish with a dry brine? sorry rod this might be a question for another section.?
always a student

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 10:46:54 PM »

Hey Dereke...I fillet the fish..place one fillet down flesh up on a baking tray...pack it with a thin layer of course salt....then add twice as much sugar. Then I pack another fillet with salt, add a bit more sugar to the first fillet, then place the second fillet flesh down on the first. Then cover with seran,, and put some weight on it (mason jars filled with water etc.

Fridge it over night - the solids will turn to liquid. Take it out....rinse it off gently..pat it dry..let it sit for about an hour...then into the smoker.
Now..here is where I do one of two thing. I either do a single smoke...and remove it right away (1 hour with 1 load of chips and then out.). The fish is totally raw, but has a nice cmokey flavor. Then I peel the skin off and pressure can it. AWESOME.

Or, I double smoke it (two loads of chips), and leave it in the smoker over night (I shoud say that method one - canning - I cut the fillets into can size hunks, whereas method two, I cut the fillets into thin strips of an equal size).  smoke chum until there is onylt he slightest moisture i the fillet....it will be chalky unless you get it to a "jerky" like consistency.

I would have to say this is a main difference I have noticed between chum and pink..pink you can leave nice and moist, and it holds up well, but chum needs to be dryer - I find.

You take one of my canned chum cans, mix it one for one with some cream cheese and some chives..and LOOK OUT. Oh yeah, beer helps too.
:)
happy smoking

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 11:41:07 PM »

Do you plug in the smoker overnight ?

hickman

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 08:18:07 AM »

Mamquam and Cheakamus are going to be perfect today. Checked out both rivers last night - I prefer the Cheakamus, fewer people, nicer river....
I did not see or catch anything in the Mamquam (from the mouth up to the railway bridge). Got to the Cheakamus pretty late just to check it out - good size jumpers both Chum & Coho. 2 followers - no catch.
I am going in the afternoon...
hickman 8)

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 02:14:04 PM »

hickman ill be out on monday if you are around...must go to bed im working graveyard tonight...

let me know how it went

derek
always a student

wading2fish

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 11:32:12 PM »

I flyfished & tossed Colorados on Cheak on Wednesday only catching a trout.  I only saw a dirty Spring jump.  Water was high, but OK vis.  Heard some scuttlebutt FN had nets across the Squamish r..  I left message w/ DFO to ask if that was true was it legal--no reply yet.

hotrod

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 11:46:01 PM »

I flyfished & tossed Colorados on Cheak on Wednesday only catching a trout.  I only saw a dirty Spring jump.  Water was high, but OK vis.  Heard some scuttlebutt FN had nets across the Squamish r..  I left message w/ DFO to ask if that was true was it legal--no reply yet.

Completely legal net fishery. They are limited to how many fathom the nets can be .Dfo closely monitors the whole thing and there are no nets that cross the whole river.

Hotrod

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 11:58:50 AM »

The Native Food fishery on the Squamish go's from noon Wednesday to noon Sunday. Not many guys netting and they never drift net or hang nets across the river ( the Squamish is to big). The effort is generally a bit higher now and will drop off once the chum show up in mass. Was at the net sites yesterday and taked to the boys. Not many fish yet and  very few chum.

wading2fish

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 11:25:38 AM »

thanks much ;)

wading2fish

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 11:29:36 AM »

Looking forward to catching big ho's & doggies on the fly!  (insert joke here)