Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: VEdder Oct 11  (Read 4600 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
VEdder Oct 11
« on: October 11, 2007, 03:52:50 PM »

One simple word sums it up: disapointing.  2 of us fish from sun up to 1230 and all I could manage is 2 big springs that snapped off.  lower river was dirty (IMO)...maybe 12-18 inches vis when we started so we booted up above all the slides to find some clean water.  that we did but I think things were pounded pretty hard and there was nt much activity outside of flossers and snaggers doing there thing.  Saw a guy at the slab run try to keep a coho snagged in the back.  I shouted at him, jestured that it was snagged and I think he eventually released it...friggin clown.  I really hate how the vedder river is being raped by these clowns. 

Anyhow we fished 4 or 5 runs and really didnt see anthing exciting, all the holes that produced over the past 2 weeks were dry.  I did see 3 guys fishing an island in the lower river and if I am nt mistaken, CG lost a nice coho right at his feet there otherwise the river seemed very quiet to me.

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
Re: VEdder Oct 11
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 06:14:18 PM »

I second that notion Gooey. There from 7 to 12:30, 4 different locations, great water, no fish. VERY slow.
You don't make friends with salad.

James

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 06:26:31 PM »

yep , I fished the mid / upper river from 1230 till 4 , and only saw a handfull of coho's landed , and fewer that were actually caught not snagged . I lost 3 fish , didn't even get to see what they were first  :'( ... oh well try again next week .

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 07:49:06 PM »

I was told that the river is cookin and it is not very wadeable right now.  Is this true? 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 07:50:35 PM »

Well The Master landed 5 fish all in the afternoon, 2 hatchery coho, 1 wild coho and 2 chinook jacks all in the Lower. I guess some of you fellows went home 2 early today but then we are all just plain mortals compared too him. ;D ;D

At least I got some great video of the action. ;D

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 10:34:32 PM »

I've heard good reports

gman

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 10:53:17 PM »

I was out this afternoon/evening and though the fishing was ok, though not as good as last week. I managed one hatchery coho and a couple of jacks.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 10:55:18 PM by gman »

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 10:58:58 PM »

Gee Chris, I guess it is time to get the ripper back down! Coming soon to a spot near u! ;) :D

like_to_fish

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 06:07:20 AM »

I think I should attach a tracking device in Chris's leaf mobile ;D and follow him to his spots  ;)....I was at the river whole day...starting out at mid river then to the lower....saw mainly casting practices ...it was dead slowwwww  >:(.

Well The Master landed 5 fish all in the afternoon, 2 hatchery coho, 1 wild coho and 2 chinook jacks all in the Lower. I guess some of you fellows went home 2 early today but then we are all just plain mortals compared too him. ;D ;D

At least I got some great video of the action. ;D

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 09:00:28 AM »

I've heard good reports

I believe NOTHING unless I see it first hand.  Even pictures can lie.  PURELY AS AN EXAMPLE...Bwi Bwi's photo of 4 beauty coho...if they were flossed and didn't bite...I would consider that a "good report"...there are always going to be someone hooking fish, so one or two guys that hit a pocket of active fish doesnt mean a thing unless you are fishing the exact same spot as them and at the same time (when those fish happen to be on).  And certainly a guy who flossed a whack of fish, his report don't count for S**T in my books.

I saw guys with hug smiles on their faces as the flossed and snagged fish after fish...many of them colored up jacks...whiiiiipy do!!!  Seriously, when I snag a fish I feel bad!  These beaks were loving it  ???

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 12:38:25 PM »

Are you gonna post any of the video footage Chris?
If I every figured out how to do it. Maybe I should sell copies of the video I shot with The Master yesterday but then FA would be reporting me. ;D ;D

Actually I should shoot one and have The Master explain how to fish for coho properly and explain short floating. The way many are working the water these days there should be lots of customers.  ::)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 12:40:42 PM »

Gee Chris, I guess it is time to get the ripper back down! Coming soon to a spot near u! ;) :D
Send him to Tamahi Rapids. ;D ;D

jazzbass

• smoke'm if ya got'm
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 01:32:36 PM »

Fished for 3 days at the kayak markers, Tamahi(sp?) wed thurs and fri.. I think that I'll avoid the week-end convention at the Chillwack river and go back on Monday and Tuesday once the rain returns. Yesterday I saw 2 guys limit out each with 4 hatchery cohos. They were both using floats, 12 to 16 inch leaders and their floats were set at about 16 inches. Were THEY flossing?? If so then since I was fishing in the same manner then I was flossing too. Something tells me that someone bottom bouncing with a 16 foot leader in the Vedder IS intentionally flossing but not ALL of us are practicing that method. We saw many many cohos caught in those three days that I have to slightly disagree that the river is slow right now. So many coho were coming through that I found the whole three days to be very exciting!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 05:47:53 PM »

Fished for 3 days at the kayak markers, Tamahi(sp?) wed thurs and fri.. I think that I'll avoid the week-end convention at the Chillwack river and go back on Monday and Tuesday once the rain returns. Yesterday I saw 2 guys limit out each with 4 hatchery cohos. They were both using floats, 12 to 16 inch leaders and their floats were set at about 16 inches. Were THEY flossing?? If so then since I was fishing in the same manner then I was flossing too. Something tells me that someone bottom bouncing with a 16 foot leader in the Vedder IS intentionally flossing but not ALL of us are practicing that method. We saw many many cohos caught in those three days that I have to slightly disagree that the river is slow right now. So many coho were coming through that I found the whole three days to be very exciting!
If you are wondering if you or others are flossing fish just check the location of the hook placement. As well I observe ones that fish in areas like Tamahi Rapids use only wool and a lot of the fish they hook into are snagged in all parts of their body. A chap was evening using a fly rod today in the rapids. ???

If you are short floating with roe you will foul hook very few fish and will catch lots of coho salmon. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 06:03:34 PM »

Further to what has been stated before your float should be sitting straight up as it drifts down river. All this will be explained when we get the video with The Master completed. ;D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 06:11:47 PM by chris gadsden »