Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Report Oct. 13  (Read 2789 times)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
Vedder Report Oct. 13
« on: October 13, 2007, 06:56:31 PM »

I braved the crowds today, and fished the upper-ish river.  Parked and hiked, and found some mostly open water...  a real nice piece that sat on the far side of some rapids caught my attention, so I geared up and as first light hit I started casting.  It was one of those places that you're just SURE the fish have to stack at before they head through the rapids...  looked perfect... but nothing.  Not a touch.  After about an hour, gave up that spot as some people had begun joining me.

Hiked farther upriver, and met a few nice anglers.  One run in particular looked great, so I chatted with the guy that was fishing there.  He said he'd hit a few jacks, and welcomed me to join him without my even having to ask!  Manners DO still exist on the Vedder.

We fished together and I was shortly into a nice chrome jack.  Knowing that my gf doesn't mind me going fishing quite as much if I bring something home to show for it, I bonked it - good decision, it was a red!

We kept fishing and hooked and played numerous more jacks.  Almost all of them were still chrome.  I kept one more - a whitey in coho-type shape, just beautiful.  The other guy wanted to keep one but couldnt seem to land them.  I guess he could tell I wanted to offer him one of mine, so he pre-emptively declined.  Good sport.  Eventually the sun peeked over the treeptops into our run, and the fishing stopped dead.

We could still see some fish rolling, but no takers.

I thanked the bloke for letting me fish the run with him, and gave him a spinner I'd had good luck with in the past on other rivers.  I walked farther upriver and fished a few nice slots... had a nice sized ho chase my roe on the retrieve right to my feet... couldn't get him to come back, so switched to a spinner. Same thing, again chased but not taken. 

Eventually I worked my way back downriver, talking to the people I'd met on the way up.  No one had done exceptionally well, except one guy who claimed he had conservatively hooked 15 springs in one run.

I joined him, and soon saw why he was hooking so many springs - his leader was as long as my leg, and he was using WAY more float than he needed.  Defintely dragging bottom, I'm sure he lined a number of his fish.  I could be wrong, and if so good for him!  I couldn't persuade any chinook to take my short-leadered offerings fishing alongside him.

After that, I packed up my two jacks and drove home.  Came back to my apartment with dinner for the week, and a nice tan.

Great day on the water - I can't wait for Thursday... I've scheduled the day off work and will be heading back. 

Anyone want to join me?
:)
Tex

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
Re: Vedder Report Oct. 13
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 07:39:14 PM »

fish were everywhere today for me, I started downriver within site of the usual flossers. I was joined by a FWR poster hookaduck I think is his name. Hookaduck was teaching some newbies how to properly shortfloat and the guys across from us were fishing properly as well. There were a lot of coho hooked by our group. after starting with roe and loseing two springs on my 10lb flouro I switched to a blade under the float. Almost right away i hooked and lost a coho, then lost another#!!*#. Then I hooked a chrome jack that of course I landed, why not the coho -sheesh. After this everyone switched to blades and coho were being caught every few minutes, some beauties too.

I never landed any of my coho today-FRAK! I left when it slowed down at noon and headed mid river. Got a spring there that I gave to a nice lady who was trying hard to get her first fish, I kept the roe tho, heh. Walking and casting down river I got three more jacks, all a little colored so they were released.

Thanks to hookaduck for lending me a colorado this morning, great day and nice weather.
Fish on!

CohoOn!

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 02:36:49 AM »

Glad to see people also having great luck with the blades.  :)
Was up both Friday afternoon and Saturday afternoon from 3:30pm on and played with five coho each day. Both days was into one first cast and actually was a double header on Friday with my buddy who was on his second cast! ;D
Both using the larger #5 & #6 Blue Foxes silver or gold letting them flutter down current slightly then gentle retrieve just along the line between faster water and back eddies. Took Brad's advice and replaced the stock hooks with Gammis and added the swivel between the lure and the hook. Seemed to have helped as I managed to only lose one on Saturday instead of three on Friday. Have always found that you get one, maybe two cracks at them and then the hole shuts down and you might as well move on right away. Also catch almost all fish within first dozen casts. If no takers then move on.
Fish are still in incredible shape and bigger than any years in the past but river is getting real low now which I suppose is great for the crowds looking to force feed stacked up fish.
Once again no foul hooked fish using blades and no pinks or chums either.
The rains are a comin and things will get blown out so tomorrow is worth getting out for.
Tight lines! :)

Long May Yer Big Jib Draw!

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 07:48:29 AM »

*sigh*

Apparenly I'm coho-tarded.  C'mon, you guys are deflating what was a great day for me with your better-day stories!
lol
Just kidding... what made it a great day wasn't the fish, it was the good ethics and friendlyness I experienced from other fishers there for once.

Anyone wanna show me how to catch a coho on Thursday?  I'm getting to the river first light, and I'm not leaving until it's dark. 

hotrod

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 07:56:09 AM »

*sigh*

Apparenly I'm coho-tarded.  C'mon, you guys are deflating what was a great day for me with your better-day stories!
lol
Just kidding... what made it a great day wasn't the fish, it was the good ethics and friendlyness I experienced from other fishers there for once.

Anyone wanna show me how to catch a coho on Thursday?  I'm getting to the river first light, and I'm not leaving until it's dark. 

I like your style Tex!

Hotrod

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 08:30:10 AM »

Thanks, hotrod!

Fisherama

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 01:09:54 PM »

Tex, I'm not sure if you're one of the guys that I met on Saturday, but thanks for paying it forward by letting my buddy and I join you in your spot.
By the way, I was the one catching and "releafing" ;)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 01:15:58 PM »

Hahahah!  Ya, right on!  It was nice to have you guys join me.  Any luck after I left?  I hope you tied into a fish or two. :)

Catch and releaf.  Hahhaha... that was random.  :)

Fisherama

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 08:27:02 PM »

I managed to hook up with 2 jacks after you left, but couldn't bring either of them to shore...making my total for the day zero.  It's quite a shock making a fish jump after about 300 casts of nothing.  Hope to see you out on the flow in the future, it's good to fish around people that do it the right way.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 08:52:44 PM »

Definitely...  I'll keep an eye out for ya in the future.  I'm going this Thursday... thinking about next weekend too.  Let me know if you're going at all!