Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oct.14/07 A little bit of wandering.....  (Read 4329 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Oct.14/07 A little bit of wandering.....
« on: October 14, 2007, 07:59:36 PM »

Hit the River at around 7 am today, fair amount of people out so Minnie-Me and I did a bit of wandering looking for fishy water away from the usual crowds.  After a cast and walk routine for a while, we came up on nice looking piece of water and 2 casts in Minnie-Me is into his first Coho of the day on a blade.  Really nice hatchery fish, about 7-8 lbs.  Bonked that one and thought he had it looked after, hung it on a branch that was sticking out of the water, looked real solid.....  Went back to fishing and about 5 min later noticed that his fish wasn't there anymore. ???  Dammit......  Oh well, back to fishing and and it wasn't long before he was into his second.  Landed that one, also a Hatchery.  This time we took the proper precautions and this fish was safe. ;D
Now it was my turn, wasn't getting anything on roe or blades, so I switched up to a tiny piece of wool and roe scent, first cast, Coho on, landed that one, a nice little hatchery.  Then it got crazy for a bit, between three of in in the run, we were into probably 8 coho in the next 20 min, I lost 2 more bigger Ho's.... ::) ;D Roy hit a dry spell and the other guy fishing roe in the run just below us was into probably 6, landing 3 of them 2 being hatchery and the other a nice wild. 
  Then Minnie-me got his first Chum of the year and I lost another headshaking beast after a couple seconds.  At around noon, the action died right off.  So me moved on to find some more water with a bit better cover.  After some more wandering around, we came up to a nice run that had no one at it, nothing there just yet though, so we wandered up and down river from there for a bit finding nothing.  We decided to head back to where we we first off,  and within a couple casts Minnie Me is into another real nice Coho on the blade again.  This one we get landed, another hatchery of around 10 lbs.  2 casts later as I am tying on a bladed, he is onto another one of about the same size, but losses it only to find out the hook came off the colorado. :P  It slowed a bit after that for a while, we couldn't quite figure out why it had turned off so quick, then we see a bunch of Springs coming and know why.  With no more Coho wanting to play we decide to see if we can play with some Spring, a couple sore arms later, I was able to land and Bonk and nice 23-25 lber and lose 4 others, Minnie Me lost I think 3 or so and we decided to call it a day.  Was a fun day out with some great company, lots of nice fish and some peace and quiet on the river.  It is nice to not have to deal with the gong show every once and a while. ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Guppy

• nothing but steelhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the weekend
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 11:38:06 AM »

Well me and my dad searun camped out this weekend hopingin to get into a couple fish. on saturday we checked out quit a few spots that would possibly good for first light the next morning, we never got a sing fish saturday (fishing mainly lower river). on sunday fly guy met us up there and we fished the lower river till about 11:oo ish and never even got a strike so we moooved on to the upper and the only one to get anything was flyguy but he lost it.
small fish in a big river

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Oct.14/07 A little bit of wandering.....
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 11:41:51 AM »

« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 11:48:57 AM by minnie-me »

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 02:10:12 PM »

You ever do a post and forget to hit the post button and close it instead?
Anyways, I'm surprised you didn't take your hiking boots and hit that spot again, I hit the down low for a couple hours, fished with  M and JJ but they turn into pumkins at noon so had to leave early, left me bored and too windy to play with the fly stuff...lesson learned though..
got this one as I was desperate for the roe...though these springs skeins aren't the best...

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 03:40:12 PM »

Thanks for the report guys! Beautiful fish!
weeeeeeeeeow!

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 03:51:28 PM »

great fish there ty for the report
hardware == fish

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 04:02:05 PM »

Care to mention which section you fished? Are these new fish in lower section?

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 04:09:50 PM »

Was back out this morning, a bit of a late start though.  Made it to the river at about 8:30 and hit my first coho of the day on my second cast and that started off a crazy morning.  During the morning up till about noon I was into 14 Coho landing 8 of them.  Also got my first 2 Coho out of the Vedder on Spoons!!  That was a blast.  Then I lost my Lucky Spoon to a sunken treasure and that was it for the day.  It was a blast plucking Coho out of the canal in between all the long liners and have them saying, " I wish I could catch a Coho, all I am getting are these rotten Chum...."
 ;D  So I showed a couple of them the Croc I was using and hopefully some of them will go get a couple and try it out.    The First 6 landed were on roe, couldn't get them to hit blades out of the first run.  The biggest of the day was about 9 lbs and 6 of the 8 were wilds, both the Coho that hammered the Spoons were wild.  Haven't had a day for Coho like that it a while, only bad part is that I have to wait for the weekend to make it out again. 
Would have had pics, but well....  left the camera in Minnie Me's truck yesterday.  ::) ;D 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 04:14:37 PM by DMW »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 04:14:12 PM »

Care to mention which section you fished? Are these new fish in lower section?
Halve and halve.  We got the first bunch on the lower and the second bunch on the upper. ;)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 06:31:04 PM »

Dave your making me jealous!  ;D 

check ur pms ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 06:32:37 PM »

Dave your making me jealous!  ;D 

check ur pms ;D
Already did.... beek!! :D 

allwaysfishin

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 07:14:13 PM »

Congrats on the fish guys good to see you havin some awesome days  ;) and really good to see that the river continues to fill up with fresh fish. Will probably get one more day fishin in before headin north for few weeks.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
Re: the weekend
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 09:01:57 PM »

Ditto, fished the vedder a couple times in the last day, and have to say that I have never seen so few fish this time of year.  Oh well maybe a warning sign that its time to change the commercial fishing practices on the coast.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 10:26:48 PM »

awesome reports guys! Love the pics...

keep em coming!
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 10:43:45 PM »

Whackem and stackem. ;D
Way to go you guys.Looks like an epic day on the flow. ;)