Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Oct/14  (Read 2503 times)

charles

Vedder Oct/14
« on: October 14, 2007, 08:08:33 PM »

After last sat. 6 landed 8 hooked with many hits (kept only 2) success with jack springs and springs, we thought we would go back to the same place today. 

We hit the parking lot at 6:15am and to our surprise, we were the only car there.   On a Sunday?  And a sunny Sunday?  Well, for sure we will get our little pool all to ourselves.

So we started fishing at first light.  My friend right away hooked a fish on fly.  What a good start.  As he bought it closer, we soon notice that can't be a salmon...  Here is a picture of what it is :)  Fish not pretty but I love the background. 

Anyway, it was no springs, no jack springs.  I guess people fished them out on Sat..  But we found Coho.  The pool has a decent number of Coho in it.  I landed 3 wild 1 hatchery (lost the hatchery while before I bonk it).  Friend on fly hook a nice chrome coho and lost another one but with many hits through the morning.  Another friend hooked and landed 2, both hatchery (lucky guy).  He also got in with a pretty large spring (only one of the day) and line snapped after 10 minutes of fight...  This happened all before 11am.  After that, everything is quiet.  And see a couple large chum went by... (already colored).  Everyone of Coho we landed were beautifully chrome.  Not a hint of color in them.  All wild coho were released underwater; only 1 was taken out briefly for a photo moment.

The coho were hitting everything we throw at them... except wool...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 08:10:45 PM by charles »

charles

Re: Vedder Oct/14
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 08:12:39 PM »

the pool is not a secret...  I don't bother about blanking out the background...  no one fish there anyway...  Everyone else is in the meat hole :)

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 11:14:42 PM »

awesome report charles!!

flatlander

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 12:29:01 AM »

Great report and pics!

I hit the Vedder Saturday morning myself.  Fished mid-river at first light.  Was good there about a week ago but slow on Saturday morning.  I managed to lose one (maybe a coho) landed a 12lb Chum and lost another chum before leaving at 9am.

CohoOn!

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 01:18:18 AM »

Blan
the pool is not a secret...  I don't bother about blanking out the background...  no one fish there anyway...  Everyone else is in the meat hole :)

Not sure what "blanking out" you're referring to? :-\
Great report Charles and nice photos as well. Amazing how agressive the coho still are and what great shape they're still in. I've gotta take up the fly rod one of these years.
Enjoy the season while it lasts!
Cheers!
Long May Yer Big Jib Draw!

charles

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 08:17:23 AM »

I am not sure about last season cause I did not fish for coho.  Does the coho always look this good?  Everyone of them (hook and landed - 8 or so fish) are all chrome.  I also saw everyone else pictures too with nice chrome fish...  I mean when I look at pink, spring, chum, they color up real quick but coho is still nice...

They are very aggressive.  I use small roe, no taker.  I put a big chunk of roe there, they hammar it.  They also hammar the blade too.  I am glad the other fellow show me how to make the blade last week where we fished together.  He hammar the coho while I was taking the jacks...

"blanking out" - Some people told me I should erase the background so no one knows where the fishing pool is... 

I was kind of hoping to catch more springs and jack springs, the non-stop action was just un-real...  But I guess landed 4 coho and lost a couple was still a good day...  (I don't care for the meat since I don't eat fish)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 12:13:42 PM »

This year it's better than last.  Last year many coho my fishing buddy and I got, were showing abit of red tint.

charles

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 02:11:16 PM »

I also found that the wild one are relatively larger than the hatchery.  Is that always the case in general?

claudiobig

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 02:55:23 PM »

HI,
I am a new fly fisher, where on the Vedder do I fish, I don't know the area. Thanks Claudio

charles

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 03:06:52 PM »

really, any pool will hold fish right now.  There were so many coho and some chum moving around, you can find a spot if you don't mind walking around in both water and gravels...

I don't use fly so I don't know where actually is good for a fly fisherman.