Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River October 15th, 2007  (Read 2669 times)

jazzbass

• smoke'm if ya got'm
Chilliwack River October 15th, 2007
« on: October 15, 2007, 10:22:03 PM »

Went out today Tamahi once again (mon Oct 15) a bit later then I wanted but was fishing by 2:30. The river was up a bit and more colored then I have seen for over a week. Didn't seem to slow things up much though. A few guys around me were catching the odd hatchery coho and some springs were being caught as well but they're a bit tricky to land in that water due to the flow of the water through those rocks. I tried 2 new things today, using a float cut in half and way less lead. I enjoyed that set-up so much more and really got to see every different bit of movement of the float which was a big help. Hooked into and landed a 5 or so lb wild coho pretty much right away and then about 5 minutes later my float went for a dive, I saw a wonderful silver flash in the pool in front of me but it wasn't meant to be. the hook came up empty. Oh well, the good news was that I wasn't snagging up like I was before and had a ball..... Lets hope this rain will bring in a whole new bunch of shiny silver fish!!!! ;D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 10:29:18 PM by Rodney »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Chilliwack River October 15th, 2007
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 12:09:57 PM »

Jazzbass, very nice. The precise float dive is like a drug, it keeps us repeating this strange ritual every October - Getting up two hours before sunrise, racing to the river bank in the dark and staring at a orange/pink/green dot in the mist. That sudden dive and silver flashes directly underneath it can really be explained as a high, which is pretty hard to explain to someone who has never done it before. ;D The fight and catch are also very appealing, but the take would be considered as the highlight of my trip.

The change of float size is a good move. It took me many tries to find the float size, shape that I fish best in a particular location.

We were also out on the flow yesterday. Nick, Chris and I met up at 6:30am at the chosen spot. We joked and got ready in the dark. Chris put four skeins of fresh roe in my cooler, so I would keep coming back for more (see? the source of this addiction). ;D We made our way down to the river, we still had at least 15 minutes of darkness to go. Chum and pink salmon were already splashing around at times.

Once it was light enough, three floats began drifting through the run. The first light was not meant to be, as none of us had a good take in over 30 minutes. Nick began wandering off to a nearby spot. Soon after he left, Chris was into a silver jack chinook salmon. That grabbed Nick's attention, so he made his way back down as the nearby run was no longer good after the river rise. Some surfacings could be seen in our run, it looked like new fish had started to move in. Both Chris and Nick's floats were buried numerous times in the next hour, but they fish were either missed or lost. Meanwhile, after seeing no action, my float finally went for a dive, except I was staring at the two guys. By the time I looked back, the float was completely submerged, but I still wasn't pulling. It still didn't register in my sleepy brain. When it finally did a couple of seconds later, I gave it a good yank but only to see the float flying over my head. ::) Lew showed up soon after. Since we were missing and losing fish, I decided to start filming the video that we were supposed to do. The talk was brief and clear as usual, both Chris and Nick are natural speakers so it usually only requires one take to get everything done. As I was filming Nick tying a new hook, Chris suddenly got himself a nice fish on the line. "A coho!", he said. The camera was now focusing on a new subject. The bright fish leaped several times, indicating that it was indeed a coho salmon. Nick grabbed the catch and release net that I brought along. With one scoop in knee-deep water, our first coho of the day was in the net. It was a beautiful wild fish, around 5 or 6lb. Once we had a good look, Nick let it go, or it let itself go from his hands. ;D

After this brief excitement, we decided it was time to visit Cookies Grill. We got back to our cars, only to find one of my rear tires flat. :( This was the second time I got a flat tire on the Chilliwack River. A nail was firmly embedded in the tire. Chris took out his trusty pump and we had it back up so we could make it to Kal Tires next to diner. The guys at Kal Tire was awesome! The tire was fixed, pressure was checked in the other three, brakes were also checked, and I was told that there was not a charge for it! :o We were ready to go after brunch. :)

We decided to give a spot in mid river where we had some good luck two weeks ago. Lew apparently had a coho salmon on the line after one cast, but it was lost. We worked through the run for at least one hour before Nick was into a couple of jack chinooks, followed by two very fresh wild coho salmon. He continued to land a couple more jack chinooks. I managed to land a wild coho salmon as well. It seemed all the hatchery coho salmon have been picked off from the lower river. :P ;D With a few more fish hooked and lost, the three guys left while I decided to fish alone until dark. The last hour saw a few more bright coho salmon surfacing at times, but I only had one chum salmon to show. :(

Water clarity was fantastic at first light, but it degraded to 1ft after lunch, but improved again by sun down. The river should be fishable today if no further landslides occured overnight. Water level was also very good. If this condition is maintained, then the rest of this coho salmon season should still be good.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 02:13:04 PM »

I prefer feeling a coho hammer a stripped fly...

I love that sensation, and you can be looking wherever you want... no need to stare at a float.

Nice pic rod! A real beauty :)

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

jazzbass

• smoke'm if ya got'm
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 02:35:59 PM »

I have fly fished for years and have to agree with Nichole about the sensation that a tug on a fly line will give you. For years I felt that fly fishing was the only "decent" way to go after fish but all it took was a few visits to water that simply wasn't fishable with a fly. Now don't get me wrong, I still love fishing with my fly gear and will always do it whenever possible, but I've found that using any kind of equipment when targeting salmon gives me a thrill. So today is a day for curing roe and tomorrow I'll be up before Tim's opens and if the river is in good shape I'll be having fun again. I love this site and am grateful for getting the opportunity to read about people's adventures on the water.

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 05:08:18 PM »

For me, its the tug back that gives me the "high". The image of the float going under helps me sleep everynight!!!!!

I think I remember every locations that I caught a steelhead and sometimes, I re-live that moment by closing my eyes and thinking of the moment the drennan dips.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 07:56:09 PM »

I have to agree with Nicole and jazzbass.  In fact, I first learned to catch salmon/steelhead with the fly first - back in '99.  It was only a few years ago that I tried out the drift rod set-up.  But hey - nothing wrong with hooking coho either way!   :D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 10:06:20 PM »

I have no doubt that I would enjoy a coho take on a stripped fly just as much. Earlier this year I did quite a bit of that in lakes and I like to mix it up with indicator fishing so things are much more interesting. This year on the Vedder I have actually fished less with float/roe and spent more time on casting spoon. The same idea really, you can look anywhere you want and when that hit happens, the reflex does the job and it is rarely missed.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 10:50:23 PM »

I have fly fished for years and have to agree with Nichole about the sensation that a tug on a fly line will give you. For years I felt that fly fishing was the only "decent" way to go after fish but all it took was a few visits to water that simply wasn't fishable with a fly. Now don't get me wrong, I still love fishing with my fly gear and will always do it whenever possible, but I've found that using any kind of equipment when targeting salmon gives me a thrill. So today is a day for curing roe and tomorrow I'll be up before Tim's opens and if the river is in good shape I'll be having fun again. I love this site and am grateful for getting the opportunity to read about people's adventures on the water.
A fly fished properly on the Vedder in proper fly water is an exciting way to take a fish I am sure even though I have not tried it. However a lot of people using it these days are not fishing the correct type of water to actually take a biting fish. The Master and I talked about it over breakfast this morning. I even saw a fellow throwing a fly line in Tamahi Rapids the other day. :o

Over the years when I examine where at fly caught fish is taken on the Vedder or the Chehalis many have not bitten the offering. ::) :o

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 10:52:56 PM »

For me, its the tug back that gives me the "high". The image of the float going under helps me sleep everynight!!!!!

I think I remember every locations that I caught a steelhead and sometimes, I re-live that moment by closing my eyes and thinking of the moment the drennan dips.

I agree. Sometimes I count each steelhead during the season and where I caught it, sure helps one get to sleep, better than counting sheep. ;D