Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing report 10/18/2007  (Read 3237 times)

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Fishing report 10/18/2007
« on: October 18, 2007, 08:01:18 PM »

The drive this morning to the Vedder River was dry and when we got there, the river was in perfect condition. Two fishermen were fishing with blades and another with wool. Just as day broke, one of the blade guy got a bright coho but it was able to escape.

I decided to move down a bit to the tailend and on my second cast, my float took a dive and I striked but missed. On my third cast, the float went down again and this time I was able to connect with the culprit. It flashes chrome and made a few splashes and I knew it was what I was hunting for. A few minutes later and I can see that it was indeed a hatchery fish. Bonked it. My friend noticed the action and decided to come down to the tailend. Soon he was into another bright fish. It too was a hatchery fish of about 8 lb. For the next hour or so, we were into more cohos and I would say about 70% of them were wild fish.

I did connect with a huge hatchey buck( I tought it was a spring at first ) but the hook came off when I was about to land it. For a moment, I thought I could grab it. You should have seen me- I looked like a rookie fisherman with his first fish ever. ;D

It slowed down a bit every once in awhile but when the rain started, fishing got hot again. What was supposed to be a 4 hour trip turned into a whole day event until our roe ran dry. All the fish we connected with were beautiful bright cohos. We ended the day with 5 hatchery cohos.

What an awesome day of fishing!!!!! Hopefully, the river stays nice for a few more days.

Catch of the day!!!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 09:28:07 PM by CohoMan »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Fishing report 10/18/2007
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »

NICE!!!  Great job guys.  To bad the river may be pooched by the time I can go on the weekend!! ::) ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

gman

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 08:44:56 PM »

Nice fish CohoMan.

I was out for the morning today as well.  Got to my spot and started fishing with blades. 15 minutes in, fish on and its a coho. I get it close to shore and start thinking about Rods last report where he always loses them close to shore. Sure enough I jinxed myself and it popped off as I was just confirming there was no fin.   ::) It took a while and then I hooked into and lost a second coho. Not much more action after that, so I moved to a nearby spot and fished roe.  I then started getting into springs. I bonked one, small but bright. Then released two large jacks. Then I got my first big spring of the year - it must have been a 35 pound doe! First I thought about the roe (mmm), then about the hike out (oh-oh), and then all the white spring meat I didn't need, and so I let her go. I did also hook one more small coho on the roe, but of course I lost that one too. Left around noon - my first trip this year without a coho to shore.

With some upcoming travel plans this was likely my last trip of the year. So looking back that's 5 trips to the Vedder, 6 hatchery coho retained, about 10 wilds landed and released, lots of jacks landed, only 1 big spring landed, no chums, no pinks. Vey different year from the last couple of years.

Good luck to those going out for the rest of the season.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 08:59:32 PM by gman »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 09:02:57 PM »

Well done gman, nice to have some coho action once again. I am around your total with 13 coho landed, 16 chinook jacks, 2 chum, no adult chinooks and a couple of pinks.

I am into my fourth week of fishing the Chilliwack Vedder so I have put a fair amount of time in but I always enjoy getting out for a few hours most mornings. ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 09:08:12 PM »

I get it close to shore and start thinking about Rods last report where he always loses them close to shore. Sure enough I jinxed myself and it popped off as I was just confirming there was no fin.   ::) It took a while and then I hooked into and lost a second coho.I did also hook one more small coho on the roe, but of course I lost that one too.

:D :D :D :D :D

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 10:08:43 PM »

just a question about white spring meat. is it no good or what? never caught one.
always a student

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 10:10:44 PM »

Taste fine to me a bit more oily. Most guys dont like them. I only get mine from the chuck so it may be different.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 10:14:38 PM »

I think its the strong smell that whites tend to release. My friend remove the skin before cooking and apparently, they taste fine.

Don't eat fish so I do not know off hand.

gman

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 10:15:26 PM »

just a question about white spring meat. is it no good or what? never caught one.

Its debateable. I find white spring from the ocean very good. A bright (not a dark booty one) white spring from the Vedder is good smoked, and just ok to eat. I rarely keep Vedder whites as I catch enough other fish. That being said I have served ocean caught coho and spring along with vedder white, and some people actually preferred the white.

mmmroe

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 10:21:44 PM »

Haven't thrown a white on the bbq....but bonked a doe for the roe awhile ago (chrome fish though).... took the skin off.....tempura battered it (two kinds of seasoning lemon pepper and cajun) all i gotta say is DAMN GOOD... I guess anything deep fried is good lol...not that good for u though ;)

OH Good job on the coho!!! i'll be out hunting for the hoes this weekend!

Sabre

• Bite Me
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 10:41:49 PM »

Nice fish :)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 11:47:51 PM »

Looks lieks somebody found them, ncie lookers.
The Bigger The Better!

funruh

• feeeesh
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 12:54:08 AM »

:-[  Wow those pics are killing me.  Not a ton of luck for me on the Vedder this year.  Good for you though. ;D

Keep safe on the river guys. 

CohoOn!

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 02:35:48 AM »

Put a nice bright jack on the barbie the other night and it was awesome. :)
Know a lot of guys slag em but I'd say try a nice nickel jack and you be the judge. My friend's girlfriend that runs a high end Japaneese fish market says they prefer the whites over the reds always. Much moister and tender meat. As the boys say maybe just filet them and remove the skin but personally I have no problem gettin some skin. ;)
Enjoy!
Long May Yer Big Jib Draw!

Rybar

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 03:26:32 PM »

The drive this morning to the Vedder River was dry and when we got there, the river was in perfect condition. Two fishermen were fishing with blades and another with wool. Just as day broke, one of the blade guy got a bright coho but it was able to escape.

I decided to move down a bit to the tailend and on my second cast, my float took a dive and I striked but missed. On my third cast, the float went down again and this time I was able to connect with the culprit. It flashes chrome and made a few splashes and I knew it was what I was hunting for. A few minutes later and I can see that it was indeed a hatchery fish. Bonked it. My friend noticed the action and decided to come down to the tailend. Soon he was into another bright fish. It too was a hatchery fish of about 8 lb. For the next hour or so, we were into more cohos and I would say about 70% of them were wild fish.

I did connect with a huge hatchey buck( I tought it was a spring at first ) but the hook came off when I was about to land it. For a moment, I thought I could grab it. You should have seen me- I looked like a rookie fisherman with his first fish ever. ;D

It slowed down a bit every once in awhile but when the rain started, fishing got hot again. What was supposed to be a 4 hour trip turned into a whole day event until our roe ran dry. All the fish we connected with were beautiful bright cohos. We ended the day with 5 hatchery cohos.

What an awesome day of fishing!!!!! Hopefully, the river stays nice for a few more days.

Catch of the day!!!

Nice fish Cohoman, I was one of the guys who fished above you at that run. You guys and my buddy were nailing them all morning while I got skunked  ???  :D