Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Freshwater angling license available online  (Read 5585 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Freshwater angling license available online
« on: October 24, 2007, 09:34:55 PM »

Freshwater angling license can now be purchased online at:

http://www.fishing.gov.bc.ca/

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
Re: Freshwater angling license available online
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 09:47:14 PM »

Get them at the retailer, then you have a reason to look at all the new goodies.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 10:09:56 PM »

Thanks for the info Rod.

Do you know if you can buy a conservation stamp if you have an existing license that was purchased through the retailer?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 08:02:46 AM »

everything comes on 8.5x11 sheet of paper. So if you just purchase your license and purchase your stamps later you will get three sheets of paper to carry around ( at least this is what I have herd). Also with this online purchase what is going to stop people from making copies of their license. I also herd that eventually you will not be able to buy a license from your tackle shop unless they have a computer set up. Can anyone clarify this. Rod could you maybe contact Brian Chan and ask. Thank you.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 08:31:30 AM »

I bought mine online... pretty simple process.  I think what would prevent people from making copies is just plain honesty...  I wouldn't cheat on the old system so why would I cheat on the new one?

There is a rather complex bar code on the paper, and if that gets destroyed then that permit is invalid... so keep a backup file just in case (PDF).

Also, the conservation surcharges and classified water charges can be added to the permit, so you can get everything online.

Hope this has been enlightening  ;)

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 11:31:03 AM »

I bought my saltwater licence this way, and it was dead easy... You can buy the tag at the same time, or buy it later (allthough I bought it right away)

The main problem I see with this is that anyone who does not have a computer or credit card soon will not be able to have access to licencing...

I hope there are many tackle shops that offer the option, however most vendors would have a hard time recouping the costs of the hardware required.

All of a sudden there is no incentive to offer them at all, if an existing POS system (computer) and a net connection is not available.

Then you'll find all the poor people, and the luddites simply fishing without a licence, it will be worse than it is now, unless the government pays for the infrastructure.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 08:43:33 PM »

I agree with what you are saying Nicole,from what i have heard (if it is all factual) the on line licensing concept while it may be easier i don't think it has been well thought out to this point.From some of the conversations i have had with local tackle shop  owners it so far has not been looked on in a positive light,while selling licenses at a tackle shop may be a bit of a hassle for them ,it still brings customers into the store and makes it readily available to everyone,if the shops do choose to setup the computers for their  customers ,with all the initial costs and upkeep it is highly unlikely the shops will break even with the $1.00 per license that they make,i think there has to be a higher incentive for these shops to go on line.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 09:08:56 PM »

Well here is my two cents
I think you should be able to buy a fishing license at any store that sells enough fishing gear to get you started
ie:- rods, reels, line, hooks, lead, and bait (only thing missing License)

but they should be available on line too

I had a situation where my Brother-in-law(who doesn't fish much) and i went over to the Sunshine coast to fish
we were staying at a friends house(he has the boat)  we arrived in the evening and were setting up some gear for an early start in the morning
Then my Brother-in-law says sh#$ i forgot to get my license :-\
not to worry my friend replied you can get one from the gas station they open real early
but on arrival they informed us that they had ran out >:(
and the only other place we could get one was not open till 10am >:(
Then i remembered that you could get one online ;D
So back to my friends place and sorted were were out on the water just after daylight 8)

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 09:50:52 PM »

Good points Britguy,i think being able to buy them on line as well as at the shops in the current method would be allright ,but from what i am hearing is that all the licenses will be available only on line in an effort to eliminate the cost en cured for the current form of  license.i have been told that Brian Chan is heading up the changes with the licenses in an effort to increase the sales and lower the manufacturing cost ,this should be implemented within the next year or so and all money from license sales will be directed to the non profit society that Brian Chan has been named director of.All of this money is to be used for our fisheries,hatcheries etc, in BC.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 12:06:46 PM »

Do you know if you can buy a conservation stamp if you have an existing license that was purchased through the retailer?

http://www.fishing.gov.bc.ca/docs/tutorial_for_anglers.pdf

If you already have a paper Basic Licence for the fishing season, you cannot add Conservation Species Licences or Classified Waters Licences online.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 12:55:19 PM »

The main problem I see with this is that anyone who does not have a computer or credit card soon will not be able to have access to licencing...

I don't think you have to worry about that Nicole, store licensing is not going anywhere anytime.

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 04:07:29 PM »

Its always good being able to purchase online because when you lose your license you do not need to re-buy it

I lost my license once and i had to pay $70 for all the tags and the duplicate license

:D
hardware == fish

gheart008

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 09:14:03 AM »

It's about time.  Some of my friends who aren't hardcore into fishing only get a 24 hour license whenever we decided to hang out by the docks, and they're always people who wait till the last minute before doing anything so they always forget to get their license beforehand.  They've been getting their salt water ones on line for the past while now, but great to see they can be even more lazy and get the freshwater ones too now.

Piranha

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2007, 09:23:39 PM »

I was going to buy a steelhead stamp but my information isn't entered in their data base.  ??? I would have to register and buy my basic license  >:(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 12:25:25 AM »

http://www.fishing.gov.bc.ca/docs/tutorial_for_anglers.pdf

If you already have a paper Basic Licence for the fishing season, you cannot add Conservation Species Licences or Classified Waters Licences online.