Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cheakamus...  (Read 5116 times)

hickman

Cheakamus...
« on: October 25, 2007, 12:33:43 PM »

Just heard a rumor that DFO has been up in Squish to the check on runs and numbers. Apparently, the numbers have been really low and they are thinking about closing the river(s) up here. Not sure if that is only the Cheakamus ...
hickman 8)

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: Cheakamus...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 04:03:59 PM »

How did they check the numbers dip their heads in the water ???
[

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 05:01:46 PM »

At this point it is just a concern as it pertains to chum salmon or the lack of. Returns to the Squamish system are very low todate with very few fish spawning in the upper Squamish tribs and the groundwater side channels. There should be many, many more fish spawning than what is there todate. The local Sportfish Advisory Board is well aware of this and are very concerned. People are being asked to note what there seeing for fish numbers as well as the professionel people who are experienced with this watershed. The SFAB meeting is on Nov 6th but I expect this to be delt with, one way or another before that date. Lets hope that the fish are just late. Keep your eyes open and truthfully try and guage what you see. What appears to be lots of fish to some may not be that many fish to a person who has experience in stock estimation.

Cheers.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 05:46:39 PM »

Do you think this is because of the chemical spill by CN a couple of years ago?  Is CN getting sued for this disaster?

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 06:01:36 PM »

it is not due to the chemical spill, they are not sure for sure but there was widespread flooding four years ago. i will report however that there were quite a few fish showing today. many more than have been in recent weeks. hopefully this is the start of the run because if not they will shut the whole squamish system down i would imagine :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[. today wasnt my day, probably fifteen fish on and none to the beach. just a bunch of lost flies. at one point i switched to wool because i lost too many flies......

tight lines everyone
derek
always a student

hotrod

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 07:03:28 PM »

The upper Squamish is like a ghost town. It should be crawling with fish but sadly saw only two risers in two hours up there !Last year there were thousands of chum and cohos at this time.
I also heard a rumor that they may close it.The cheak seems to be alright but the numbers are no where near what I'm used to so I feel that system has suffered some as well.

Hotrod

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 08:34:34 PM »

probably fifteen fish on
what were you using dereke 8lb leader
just teasing :D

did anyone else hook into any ???

that must be the start of the run now
maybe there clocks got knocked off a little what with all this strange weather
I sure hope so
if not then they should shut it down

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 09:11:42 PM »

Sorry but you can't blame the lack of chum on the CN Rail spill. Chum were not impacted by that disaster as the adults and the juveniles were not in the river at the time of the spill. Seems that there are lots of places with low chum numbers this year. Stave - 40 000 adults seen on a helicopter flight yesterday ( that's low), Chilliwack - few chum at the hatchery, Puntledge - 10 000 fish in the river, Nitinat - 5 million eggs taken from a target of 40 million. Have heard there are still good numbers in Johnstone Strait so the week or so should tell. Heres hopeing.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 10:21:28 PM »

haha i wish i could say it was 8lb test... was using twelve lb... embarassing day out there for sure. ??? ??? ??? tomorrow will be better. not sure what the hell was going on. a couple took me down river about 75 yards. very big fish in there today...
always a student

hickman

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 08:48:28 AM »

it seems to be picking up - at least yesterday... I heard that lots of chum have been caught in the Cheakamus Thursday afternoon. According to a buddy it would have been the best day so far... I went for Coho but didn't get any - I saw mostly Chum - quite different from last week.
hickman 8)

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 09:46:08 AM »

it seems to be picking up - at least yesterday... I heard that lots of chum have been caught in the Cheakamus Thursday afternoon. According to a buddy it would have been the best day so far... I went for Coho but didn't get any - I saw mostly Chum - quite different from last week.
hickman 8)

might head up on week days hehe
hardware == fish

cohoed

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 10:31:34 AM »

So lets tell the whole world guys.Nice and quiet this week but now i can see alot of bottom bounces there tomorrow. Thanks ???

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 05:07:27 PM »

you cant really be serious cohoed. ??? ??? if you are from around here then you know there is so much water to be fished it wont matter what people report. lots of spots that have better water than the crowded areas...most people just head out to the bar anyway..the fishing today was not as good as it was yesterday as far as hook ups. so relax. no specific spots were given up. i dont know any locals who fish the "gong show" areas after the crowds start to show. alot of runs with no people that are full of fish (hopefully). ;)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 10:51:09 PM by dereke »
always a student

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 06:23:32 PM »

you cant really be serious cohoed. ??? ??? if you are from around here then you know there is so much water to be fished it wont matter what people report. lots of spots that have better water than the crowded areas...most people just head out to the bar anyway..the fishing today was not as good as it was yesterday as far as hook ups anyway. relax

second that. you can hike easy there
hardware == fish

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod