Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River October 25th, 2007: Lost a fish while the "Master" is watching  (Read 6382 times)

fishiotherapist

• Haneyphysiotherapyclinic

Finally met the "Master" while fishing eventhough I lost the fish- it took my spoon ( my favorite and only spoon) :D :D :D
Thanks for the advice Rod- I'll try that spot next time ;D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 03:24:04 PM by Rodney »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Lost a fish while the "Master" is watching
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 07:33:38 PM »

"Master" I am not, since I only had one snagged chum salmon to show today. :-[ :'( ;D Nice meeting you today fishiotherapist. Like I said, this was my first time fishing the Stave River in over two years. We usually avoid fishing it because of the crowd, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it very tolerable today. :) Lots of chum salmon rolling, found a few spots that look promising for coho salmon later on this season too. ;) Today was Iwan's last outing before his flight back to UK on Saturday, and he sure finished it off with a bang by landing the only coho salmon of our group. Luke lost one coho, and landed a chum salmon. I, after 14 trips this month, finally haven't hooked a coho during an outing for once. ;D :P

Iwan's fish, a hatchery buck around 10lb. :) In total we fished three days during his stay, he spent just under 100 dollars on fishing licenses and the salmon stamp, and it has been his best experience out of all the fishing trips here so far, according to him.

While wandering around, I came across this note on a tree. I assume this was posted by a local resident. Lets respect their request by keeping the area clean. Luke and I picked up a disgusting amount of fishing line in the marsh this afternoon. It just never ended. The more we picked up, the more we found.

The weather also couldn't be any better, for a late October day.

Good luck fishing this weekend. :)

purplehelmet

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 09:16:45 PM »

Nice meeting you today, as well, Rod.  After you left I moved upstream a bit & wrestled a lot of Chummers on the flyrod, some pretty clean.  I lost a few spunky fish, too...  Coho, perhaps?  I'll never know.  I did pull-out the hardware for a while, but only caught Chum.  In any case, a good day on the Stave & didn't see too many atrocities where I was. 

Tight loops/lines

Shane
It's NOT good for the smoker!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 12:37:42 AM »

Very nice looking coho! I will be there tomorrow!
weeeeeeeeeow!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 12:09:13 PM »

Good chatting with you too purplehelmet. That particular area of the Stave River is quite lovely and I should fish it more often. The system seems to have gotten a bad reputation over the year when it comes to crowding and disorderly conduct, but I found it very civilized yesterday. That undercut bank on the far side looks good. ;) I don't see why coho salmon wouldn't sit in that whole section in a few weeks from now. ;D

fishiotherapist

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 05:47:14 PM »

Decided to go fishing today from first light to 10:00 am where I met the "Master". Instead of using spoons I pretied some wool patterns with float.
After several casts with no takers with a line depth of ~3 ft, I decided to lenghten it to ~5-6 ft.- and the result was fabulous. Had 5 very serious takers-4 lost and 1 landed, a robust and fiesty Chum ( ~20-25 lbs). This is actually my biggest landed type of Salmon so far and the trip-the best ever yet:) :)

Fishiotherapist

fishiotherapist

Landed today @ noon time.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 05:11:15 PM by fishiotherapist »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

Was there this morning but my fishing was interupted by inch creek hatchery. So decided to take a walk and find some other areas for chucking flies. Lost two coho landed a few nice chum(bucks) all released. Back at it tomorrow as I have the day off. Maybe halloween will be nice to me.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

fishiotherapist

Another fiesty one landed today on outgoing tide ;D  :D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 05:42:24 PM by fishiotherapist »

Sinaran

nice and fresh looking chum~
since the squamish's return is low this year, Stave is an idea place for some chum fishing .. if u could stay away from the beaks.   ;)
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

fishiotherapist

Re: Stave River October 25th, 2007: Lost a fish while the "Master" is watching
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 04:02:39 PM »

Thanks Sinaran.
The Stave is only 10 minutes away from work so I go there for lunch almost everyday ;) ;) ;)

Sinaran

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 04:06:03 PM »

Thanks Sinaran.
The Stave is only 10 minutes away from work so I go there for lunch almost everyday ;) ;) ;)
wow nice.. it's like almost 45 minutes drive for me from home. it's nice that u can go there for lunch every day and catch your "dinner" at the same time. :)
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

fishiotherapist

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 04:18:46 PM »

Actually I'm starting to fillet better (faster and more efficient) now with all the fish that I'm catching :) :)

fishiotherapist

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 04:22:12 PM »

Another doe chum ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 05:51:34 PM by fishiotherapist »

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 06:56:03 PM »

Another doe chum ;D ;D

hey a question