Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave November 4  (Read 3832 times)

calfisher

Stave November 4
« on: November 04, 2007, 07:00:58 PM »

Went down to get some roe and chum for the smoker.

About 6 years ago I was informed that does will hit black wool.  Using black wool I was able to catch a number of does, each one in the center of the top lip.  I was amazed at the number of spawned out does still in great shape.  When cleaning them made sure to have a ziplock bag positioned to catch the eggs.

I was on the trailer park side for about 1 hour.  I had driven to the main Hydro parking lot.  It was filled and the cars were parked for 1/2 mile on both sides of the road.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Stave November 4
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 07:47:03 PM »

Yes they hit black. Do some reading on color changes in different water conditions, at times everything looks black. Also with in clear water with bright sunlight flat black is the only thing that will work. 
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

steelhead nick

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 10:49:26 PM »

Yeah I went to the Stave River today with two of my friends. We fished the toilet bowl for a bit but all we were catching were black chum. Soon after we moved to a different bar and caught a mix of some clean chum and black. I also noticed during this trip on how many snaggers there are. I saw these guys who were keeping 6 chum and they were only fising in a group of two. They were also snagging all of them by the gills and stuff. I find to so sad on how such a great river is ruined by snaggers!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 10:56:13 PM by steelhead nick »

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 07:30:56 PM »

Get their plate number and call the DFO.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

the giant

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 10:53:57 AM »

exactly, that's when you should make the call and report it,it's just like a women i saw there last week carrying out a bag of chum a couple min. later she was back with a empty bag and guess ? 30 min. or so she went walking back past me carrying out more,and the funny thing was she wasn't even fishing

Piranha

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 09:48:45 PM »

mmm rotten chum soup   :)

She will probably use the fish to fertilize her garden. : /

croc

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 12:26:05 PM »

i went on Saturday and fished the eastside and toilet bowl for most of the day trying to get some clean chum chasing them around with a gold croc. th only decent one i caught that day i caught right below the mouth under the jaw she was bright silver i let her go to make more little chum to fish for in a couple more years. it's sad to see what people will do to fish. everytime i see someone walk out with an old boot i shake my head and say well they will learn better once they have tasted it

good luck fishin:croc

Arnie Salmonegger

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 02:15:49 PM »

exactly, that's when you should make the call and report it,it's just like a women i saw there last week carrying out a bag of chum a couple min. later she was back with a empty bag and guess ? 30 min. or so she went walking back past me carrying out more,and the funny thing was she wasn't even fishing
Probably had them in bags so the flesh wouldn't fall off the bones while she took them back to the car.  Like other members, I often wonder what some of the very dark fish must taste like.  Ugh!

coho_killer

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 04:33:39 PM »

as much as i disagree with all the snagging going on at the stave and it makes my blood boil The save has a huge run of chum so to be honest the chum will always be there! Thats what the river is known for chum! Report all snaggers! Hey has anyone witnessed DFO writing tickets to people at the stave? Now theres a question!

CK
Wild fish don't do drugs!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 04:49:33 PM »

Run into COs at Stave many times before.  They usually stand at the parking lot entrance from the river.  Usually checking for license, hook used and making sure catch is in accordance to regulation.

coho_killer

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 05:55:05 PM »

What i meant to say was...... Has anyone witnessed DFO writing tickets for people catching-snagging chum on the river you know what i mean when they drift and give a huge jerk on the rod on there retrieve? Now i know this is not how to catch chum on the stave!

CK
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 06:00:10 PM by coho_killer »
Wild fish don't do drugs!

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 06:31:20 PM »