Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder - Nov.4  (Read 6392 times)

charles

Vedder - Nov.4
« on: November 05, 2007, 09:36:35 AM »

Arrived at the river just about first light.  The place we fish had no one insight.  Must have been the 1 hour time adjustment confused some people...  Well, more space for us :)

The water went up like 12"+.  It was high.  The island my friends went fishing on Nov.3 were all under water.  The river was running dirty and fast.  The water kept raising till like 10-ish am and we noticed the water went down slowly when we decided to leave...

Anyway, I guess I have been used to a few coho landed and many more lost during a day of fishing so yesterday wasn't that good.  I landed 1 wild and had 2 lost.  The wild wasn't that big, must be only around 5-6 lbs.  My friend had 2-3 losted.  By the end of the day though, he landed a 12-14 lbs hatchery male coho (but it was red so back to the river it went).  And chums.  They were everywhere.  By the end of the day, every few cast will produce a chum.  Some of them still have lots of energy and will jump a few times before released.  If anyone found a chum with a size 5 french blade on it, please contact me.  I have 3 fish with spinner on them.

Side stories...
Nevertheless, still a fun day.  I caught someone's lose line in the water, as I tried to hand line the lose line so I can pocket it and later trash it, I realized there was a fish on the other end.  As I slowly pull the line, the line broke and so goes the fish...  A couple hours later, a rather large fish (never seen it) took my spinner and downstreamed it until my line was broke cause it almost spooled me.  And soon after that, my friend snaged the same line I broke and the fish actually went back to the hole where we fished and just was holding there.  I was so happy that I can finally see what it is.  With the experience of the last time I hand lined, I thought this time, I should be able to slowly bring it in.  But the same curse happened and all I had left was about 50 meters of my brand new line in my pocket :(

Someone also broke a nice float on a chum.  The fish carried the float thinking it was still hooked and jumped and jumped in front of us and disappeared downstream after 4-5 jumps.  And a few minutes later, we saw the same float swimming back to the hole we were fishing.  Then the float got lose and downstream it went.  Same goes with one of my cheap foam float I found by the shore.  I tied it on my line thinking I am not going to lose any more DNE cause of the chum.  2 cast later with my spinner, chum on, line broke, and fish with float on again.  Same story, fish went downstream when my line snapped.  A few minutes later, we saw the float "swimming" back up stream and holding at the hole...

gman

Re: Vedder - Nov.4
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 12:17:54 PM »

Thanks for the report.

If you use a leader with lighter line than your mainline, then if a fish breaks off it shoudl usually break your leader, and not have a float attached to it. 

charles

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 12:45:50 PM »

Thanks...  But this line I am using just part too easily... :)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 04:42:26 PM »

I would suggest you use stronger mainline and leaders and stop leaving your gear in the fish!!! how'd you like to walk around with some unwanted piercings?

charles

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 04:47:06 PM »

Do you think I do that on purpose?  Did I ever say I leave things on any fish before?  This is the first time I left spinners on fish.  so 12lb mainline is not strong enough.  Perhaps I should just go 50lb braid and do what everyone does and horse the fish in... 

Seriously, how many of you can say you have never have anything broke off?  I bought 3 off in 1 day out of all this time I am fishing this year and I got barked at... 

« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 05:03:19 PM by charles »

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 04:57:37 PM »

I would suggest you use stronger mainline and leaders and stop leaving your gear in the fish!!! how'd you like to walk around with some unwanted piercings?

fish piercing is nice :D
hardware == fish

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 05:23:27 PM »

so 12lb mainline is not strong enough.  Perhaps I should just go 50lb braid and do what everyone does and horse the fish in... 
12lb is ok for coho but not strong enough for chum or mature spring salmon. Most people use at least 15lb test on the Vedder. Another consideration is, how old is the line? Mono, after a few years becomes brittle from UV exposure and is prone to breaking. If you fish a lot it is a good idea to change your mono out every year or every few years if you don't fish that often.

charles

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 05:33:08 PM »

Thanks Fishon...

I change my line quite often.  This line I am using is brand new.  My friend bought it for me as a gift and I am trying it the first time.  Name = Sunline and it is f.carbon.  Even with my older line, I Change them quite often.  The last Ande line I used was only 1.5 months old usage and I changed to the new Sunline. 

I fish only with spinner so I am not trying to target chum.  And I fish a hole that is at least 4+ foot deep and only 12" leader.

CohoOn!

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 05:36:26 PM »

In my opinion the sooner a snagged fish gets busted off the better. The hook will do far less damage than those guys horsing them in. >:(
If indeed a chum is hooked properly in the mouth your ability to direct the fish upstream and gradually to shore is quite possible  with 15lb mainline and 12lb leader that's caught in slow to moderate flow of water. Fishin the white water forget it! :-\

Long May Yer Big Jib Draw!

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 07:56:13 PM »

A good option for new line is to go to a tackle store and buy some bulk from their big spools - just get Maxima or something which is very strong.

charles

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 08:28:41 PM »

Sunline 12lb Fluorocarbon is certainly weaker than my older 12lb Ande line.  I can put more pleasure on the Ande and it won't break as easy...  However, there is not a one side story though.  The fluorocarbon has little, very little memory and it is very very low stretch.  And it is protected against UV better than Mono.

I think my next outing would be putting back on my 12lb Ande main line and use the 12lb fluorocarbon as my leader.  The break point on the Ande is higher than the Sunline.  Well, I let you know how that goes.

I buy bulk from the state.  It is far less expensive than getting it bulk from local stores. 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 01:10:03 AM »

I use 10 lb. leader for steelheads, chums and chinooks and I do just fine

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 03:15:27 PM »

Andre and floura are both relatively weak lines compared to maxima or izzorline...I have landed 30lb springs on 15lb izzorline with 12lb maxima leader...I have landed 15lb wild steelhead on 12lb izzorline...Low memory etc is fine if your fishing flies or small jigs etc. not on our flows out here!!!

When you ask if I think you do it on purpose? my reply would be if you knew this

"Thanks...  But this line I am using just part too easily... "

And you keep fishing it anyways, then "Yes" I do think your doing it on purpose!!!

charles

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 03:50:23 PM »

I guess whenever I wrote something, I should write them as detail as possible...

The line parted on the later of the day.  And it happened once with the float, and a couple times with only the spinners.

Some reasons, you like to pick on my post.  I don't see you saying the same when someone else lost a float by a fish or have a spinner or spoon stuck with a fish somewhere.  I am sure they are around... 

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 03:50:43 PM »

I agree with charles 100%, 12lb line is not strong enough.
It may be strong enough if you are fishing in slack water but I had a 2 hour fight with a ~20 lb chum a month ago that was on the brink of breaking the line 5-6 times. This doe took off down stream into the rapids and there was not a darn thing I could do to stop her. And she wasn't coming up at all.
Took me on a merry chase for 2 hrs. I did finaly land the fish and I managed to save my lure but on another day I had 3 lures taken by chums. I tried to get it off but I could not.
After I landed her the line was so stretched it was unusable.
If I had all the spinners I lost at the Vedder this year, I'd be a rich man!
Then I put a 15lb test and that gave me some confidence that I could use some muscle without losing my lures.
15lb test seems to work quite nicely.