Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Trips  (Read 1501 times)

Big Rob

Fishing Trips
« on: November 08, 2007, 10:32:32 PM »

Fishing has been my main sport now for about 50 years. I love the thrill of my float being buried, the shadow of a fish pursuing  a spoon,or watching a dry fly disappearing from the surface film. Fish On !  I also love the taste of fish cooked  just about anyway. One thing that also keeps me going back to the flow are the memories  of the many adventures that a day out fishing turn into. We all have had them.  Some trips are just your lucky day.  In the 70's  a friend who had never fished for steelhead wanted to fish the Upper Pitt with me. He had his own small motor bike so we loaded the two bikes into my boat and off we went. The upper Pitt had a major rain storm in January that year , Our trip was in February. Between the first and second canyon one of the bridges over a creek had partialy collapsed, we were able to get our bikes over damaged bridge and off we rode to my favorite  piece of water above the second canyon. About three oclock we headed home. As we came  around the corner to the partially collapsed bridge, it was no longer there. B.C.F.P. the logging company on the upper Pitt at that time had brought up their big Hoe and totaly cleaned out the damaged bridge, planning on rebuilding in the near future. The men were just climbing into their trucks, ready to head back to camp when we pulled up. After lots of friendly banter they fired up the highhoe and lifted one bike and fishermen over at a time. In the 70's another fisherman was a rarity, it would of been a long walk. Timing is every thing !!! Also on this trip I tolded my buddy , don't worry about tackle and a rod I will bring extra. Arriving at the second canyon , a 12 mile bike ride I had left the tip of his rod in the boat. So much for his day of fishing. I found a small slot of water that held a steelhead , it chased my bait once, when it was close I pulled my hook away from him , My partner was close by so  I tossed out my  line gave him the rod and he hooked and landed his first and last steelhead. We still bring up that trip in conversation. I've had so many  days  out fishing turn into  adventures both good and bad that you  are always looking forward to the next time you load up your gear for another day on the water. Have you had such a day??