Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 Vedder River conditions  (Read 59496 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: 2008 Vedder River conditions
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2008, 07:16:39 PM »

Yea was going to go at around 1 o'clock but saw the river was pretty green so decided not to fish, that and also was pissing down rain at the bridge when I got there so decided wasn't worth it..... took another pretty big jump on the graph and forecast is rain overnight (25-30 mm) and rainy and warm for the rest of the week (between 4-7 degrees every day). Hopefully conditions dont get too bad.

hotrod

« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2008, 07:58:59 PM »

Condtions were good at first light but by 1 pm mid river was almost zero vis with heavy rains starting!

Hotrod

tnt

« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2008, 04:17:26 PM »

River was in great shape today... 5 feet or better up a a couple of inches...
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

hotrod

« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2008, 04:57:32 PM »

Wow! That's surprising to me TNT.It looked like it was going to get really ugly yesterday. Good to know!

Hotrod

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2008, 06:02:05 PM »

Today water visibility was about 3 feet at Peach Road. Conditions were miserable, probably some of the worst I've ever had. First were really strong winds so bad that I had my drennan float fly back at my head when I casted, then it shattered on a rock :(... thats the only problem with them. After that again, wind blew my gear back at me but this time got a huge backlash in my line. Then after about 30 mins of crazy winds came the torrential downpour of rain (still with the wind) for about a half hour and then it got somewhat sunny for the last half hour, and the winds dies down a little. Didn't see any fish hooked or any fish caught the 2 and a half hours I was out. Any 1 else have any luck?

nosey

« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2008, 06:34:34 PM »

I fished up around Tamihi around noon, conditions excellent, no wind good water clarity, light rain, absolutely no fish being the only problem.

hotrod

« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2008, 07:56:10 PM »

I went out for the afternoon and the water vis was near zero at ways field around 4 pm. I saw a guy hook one behind me today that was at least 18 lbs of wild buck. I offered to help the older gent as this big bad boy tired him out after 20 mins of fighting. I had the honor of tailing and releasing this beautiful monster for the old guy. He had a grin on from ear to ear and his hands were shaking from the rush. Good for him!

Hotrod

Colorado Grinner

• never enough
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2008, 08:49:06 PM »

I went out for the afternoon and the water vis was near zero at ways field around 4 pm. I saw a guy hook one behind me today that was at least 18 lbs of wild buck. I offered to help the older gent as this big bad boy tired him out after 20 mins of fighting. I had the honor of tailing and releasing this beautiful monster for the old guy. He had a grin on from ear to ear and his hands were shaking from the rush. Good for him!

Hotrod

A story with a happy ending ;D!!Good on you Hot Rod for helping out the old timer!After hooking your fish it can be quit difficult trying to safely tail any fish by yourself never mind an 18lb monster!Coming from a guy who fishes alone alot I find the hardest part is putting my hands on the fish >:(.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2008, 04:11:29 PM »

Conditions were nice in the morning but a little while ago the Lower had coloured up with visibility around a foot. I guess some clay fell in and we had some rain today as well. Where was the sun they said we were to get today?

From the reports I got it was slow today but maybe that was just in the area I was in. Talked to two chaps and one had landed 2 hatchery that he released.

Also apparently another fellow hooked one and handed the rod to his partner who when he got it to the shore he pulled it onto the rocks, then a photo shoot took place before they returned the wild to the water.  ??? ::) Of course this is a no no under any circumstances.

I was told another angler paid them a visit and they got angry when they were reminded this is not the way to handle a fish when you are not retaining it. I guess they did not know any better, good on the angler that brought it to their attention.

Hope the rain holds off tonight and the river clears up for those that wish to fish tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 07:00:42 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2008, 10:13:58 AM »

Water condition were good this morning but anglers everywhere. I did not wet a line as the good old East wind was howling. No reports of fish from a couple of anglers I spoke to.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2008, 10:07:07 PM »

River clear and low, was out today and hooked one, talked to 4 other guys that hadnt seen or hit anything.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2008, 11:02:37 PM »

you can add two to that number. Fished from about 9-6 with nothing seen or heard of other than chris' fish.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2008, 08:40:44 PM »

Conditions are presently quite clear but we have been able to pick up a few fish this week, we have found first light to be the best maybe because we have had some fairly sunny days.

Fish seemed to be in certain parts of the river one day and gone the next including the Canal area which has the no vacancy sign up at the key spots. ;D This fine for me as it leaves places I like to fish mostly devoid of anglers. ;D ;D

If you do not find fish in a certain area I would recommend moving around a bit, I am sure you will find a fish or two, enjoy the weekend.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2008, 09:51:10 AM »

Counted a good 50 people working some of the canal area. Saw 2 fish hooked as I drove along the dyke, one appeared to be foul hooked by the way it was fighting before the hook pulled out.

Found a key chain with some clippers etc. on it so put it by the driver's side of the closest car hoping it was his.

I was disturbed to see so much garbage along this stretch of the canal. Lots of cups etc. that I know some anglers are carelessly just throwing out. :'( I can see in the near future it will be hard to keep this area open and it will go to the way of the Abbotsford side. At this time the area will be closed for driving from May 15 to July 15.

We were lucky at the meeting some of us had with the City of Chilliwack that we were able to keep it open for now, for the rest of the year.

To keep on topic, water condition although low are in top shape.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2008, 10:30:03 AM »

Was out today from 7-10 ish. River is really clear and low by Vedder Crossing and I didn't see any one that hooked anything. Talked to 8 other ppl and no one saw or hooked any so hopefully more fish move into that area, lately, until now it has been a very good spot, but like every 1 is saying, you can catch like 5 fish one spot a day earlier and the next day there is nothing there.....