Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 Vedder River conditions  (Read 59533 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: 2008 Vedder River conditions
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2008, 11:26:22 PM »

Water was good today.... didn't see any fish hooked but saw 2 jump on my way out from the river at dark. Any 1 else see/catch anything?

island boy

« Reply #136 on: March 04, 2008, 03:35:42 PM »

all the times i've been steelheading i've never seen one jump. are they knowen jumpers?
you kill it, you clean it.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #137 on: March 04, 2008, 04:14:22 PM »

Most steelhead don't jump they roll. You will see their head and back come out of the water.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #138 on: March 04, 2008, 05:32:44 PM »

On two separate occasions I have seen steelhead do the 'chum jump' where they jump 5 or 6 times in a row while traveling in the same direction  :o
Actions speak louder than words.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #139 on: March 04, 2008, 08:57:04 PM »

Conditions were nice near dark, did not fish today. Saw my first of the year roll yesterday but would not bite or maybe it was passing through.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #140 on: March 04, 2008, 09:07:37 PM »

Yea the 2 fish I saw last night were doing the "chum jump" thing. The splashing got my attention and they weren't very far apart (Maybe they were jumping since the water was only like around a foot deep trying to get up). there must have been two there traveling together. Conditions were great at 3:30 and only got clearer/better towards the end of the day when we left at 6:20ish. Any 1 else beside britguy hook anything?

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #141 on: March 05, 2008, 04:26:34 PM »

waters almost to clear again... Did my marathon river walk yesterday. Parked across from the paintball field, and ended my day at lickman. I always look forward to the wader walk back ( hour & ten mine);) but i guess it wasn't to bad since I got my hand around 2 square tails.  ;D
The Bigger The Better!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #142 on: March 05, 2008, 10:18:57 PM »

Thats a long ways to walk, same distance as the day I caught my fish as I walked..... only difference is all I had to do was phone my dad and tell him I had a fish and he came to pick me up ^^. Must have been a great day. Were both the fish wild or hatch? (Guessing wild)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2008, 12:39:31 PM »

Conditions were great today when I had a look this morning after the overnight rain but there were anglers everywhere, in the Lower anyway.

A number of campers setup as well and when I stopped to talk to one group to make sure they make a concentrated effort to clean up any garbarge that could result of the camps I found out it was a River Rats weekend derby, I believe I got the name correct. I told them about the CVRCC Adopt a River program we have on the Chilliwack Vedder River as we try to keep it as clean as we can but of course that can be challenge at times.

They assured me they would and said they had done a cleanup before they setup. Good show fellows. ;D ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #144 on: March 09, 2008, 08:24:37 PM »

Water is way dpwn again and super clear. Walked from the Vedder Crossing Bridge all the way to Wilson Road on the back side of the river and crossed by Wilson to get back to the proper side. Talked to quite a few other people out there and no one had anything to report including me. Any one have any luck today?

steeleagle

« Reply #145 on: March 09, 2008, 10:02:46 PM »

Lost a 8-10lb doe up top, and a couple of hits but that's it, when it's low go for big pockets and pools it's the only hiding spot for the shy little buggers.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #146 on: March 10, 2008, 01:30:10 AM »

Lost a 8-10lb doe up top, and a couple of hits but that's it, when it's low go for big pockets and pools it's the only hiding spot for the shy little buggers.

Yes the big pockets and pools are a good spot to hide but you dont need to look there to find fish either.  Friday I walked into a shallow choppy run of about 2 feet deep and third cast fish on, after a good headshake it was gone... If you come across a piece of water that is not flowing to fast, and has some chop/ ripple to it, it will hold a fish at times, even if It looks to low throw a cast in.
The Bigger The Better!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #147 on: March 10, 2008, 04:14:27 PM »

I think I might go take a walk down to the river and fish a few hours right now.... water gauge for river showing a small jump which might add some color... maybe I can find a fish where I caught my last one ^^.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #148 on: March 10, 2008, 09:42:07 PM »

Did anyone get a fish today? Water was perfect at 7 with good colour around 3 feet.
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #149 on: March 11, 2008, 01:16:32 PM »

Visibility under a foot now and up a fair amount when I looked at it at noon.