Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 Vedder River conditions  (Read 59429 times)

mr.p

Re: 2008 Vedder River conditions
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2008, 07:10:54 PM »

Fished the upper from first light till 4 pm.
Water was up about a foot since Thursday but visibility was decent at about 3-4 feet.
Went for lunch at noon, visibility was 2 feet.
Came back from lunch, visibility was 6 inches.
Left at 4 pm, things were starting to clear up just a little.

Surprisingly, I had more action in the poorer water clarity. Short floating 3-4 feet of water just off
shore.  Ended the day with this hatch doe.  Looks like shes had quite the journey judging by the
scars on her. Quick photo and back on her way she went

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2008, 09:39:11 PM »

wow nice bright fish!

Those look like seal bites, both fish we caught last weekend had the same markings behind the dorsal... Looks like the seals are hanging out somewhere, I wonder where?

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2008, 11:04:24 PM »

Pissing rain as of 11:03 , the river will most likely be blown in the morning. 
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2008, 09:47:54 AM »

As Kingpin reported it rained overnight but when I did a drive by of the Lower Vedder this morning it was in fishable condition at this time with lots of anglers out enjoying what looks to be a sunny day in Chilliwack. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2008, 05:44:16 PM »

Conditions were still good at dark. I talked to a couple of board members and it appeared things may have been a bit slow, in the Lower anyway.

I heard a DNE float went down and rewarded the owner with a fish. ;D ;D ;D

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2008, 07:31:38 PM »

Hooked one in mid river early morning and then landed one chrome hatchery doe ~9lbs around 2pm (Right after I spoke to Nicole), it was released which in hindsight was a poor decision. I need the roe. Pink worms took both fish. There seemed to be a FlyBC fish out just above the train bridge. I saw Jetboat Jim, Xgolfman, and Fishin'Bum and a few others I couldn't ID.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2008, 08:24:01 PM »

Kush,ralfish,shrek, golfman,jetboat,fishing bum.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2008, 11:55:43 AM »

Conditions were good earlier this morning when I visited it, even though we had heavy rain last night. It is still raining. I saw one fish landed and shortly after while talking to The Master he was into a fish as well and he landed a nice bright hatchery doe. ;D ;D

We then went to Cookies for breakfast where Nick told me a fellow reported to him that the upper section of the river was on the way out so conditions below may now be out as well. I will try to give an update later in the day if I get out for a look.

I was not fishing due to the cold I am having trouble getting rid of. :'(

allwaysfishin

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2008, 12:33:08 PM »

just got in the door from my 3rd day in a row. The river is indeed gettin murky up top. Slesse was starting to colour it up and below the prison she was picking up a bit more colour..... My last cast of the day this morning was at 9:25 a.m. I'll say... prison camp-ish area, hittin pockets with blades on a short leader. Hooked and lost 2, braking off 12# leaders in the fast water..... Last leader held as fish number 3 barely came to hand, a bar chrome 10 or so lbs hatchery doe. Thanx to Dennis from kamloops for helpin me out, never met the guy before, he is down for a few days fishin...... i told him about the forum here so maybe we will see a new member soon. Gonna take a day or two off from fishing to work a couple days  ;D , then it's back at it thurs /fri

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2008, 05:01:45 PM »

Checked it at 4:30 and visibility was now about 10 inches in the Lower, I thought it would have been worse with all the rain we have been having here in Chilliwack today. We also have seen the wind pickup as well, making for a stormy evening, no wonder I saw no anglers in the area I checked out.

Tomorrow???? :-\

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2008, 05:31:03 PM »

I was not fishing due to the cold I am having trouble getting rid of. :'(

You should be home resting instead of spreading your cold virus at Cookies! I don't want catch it when I walk in there a couple of weeks from now and miss the peak portion of the steelhead season. ;D

hotrod

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2008, 08:32:43 PM »

I fished the the Big V today! Started at lickman first light and saw 5 caught and one lost. A couple of big ones too. One was at least 15 lbs for sure. Nadda for me so to the upper for some exploring and was rewarded with an 7 lb hatch buck! My first vedder steel this season. Conditions were getting worse when I left around 2 pm. Chalk grey at the crossing and looked like zero vis and the same for Tamahi!

Hotrod

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2008, 06:10:10 PM »

Arrived at the river about 10 and found conditions favorable and just in time to see The Master land his second of the day. ::)

I fished for 5 hours but my float would not dip the whole time. Other action I saw was a fish hit the beach when I was about 500 yards from him. I think it must be a hatchery but no, back in the water it goes, I heard later it was indeed a wild fish. :o ::)

On the way back to the truck around 3 o'clock another fish on, bonk, a few minutes later same run another on. Splash quickly to see if a wild for the tube as today was the first day of brood capture.

I get to the scene and yes a nice wild doe 12 to 13 pounds, tube flipped off back ready to tube. Another fellow willing to help, fish tired and near the shore but one more run, snap goes the leader with steelhead leaving the scene with a rubber worm in her mouth, hence no fish for the brood stock program.

Leave the river a bit disappointed and go out for the evening flight, better success there as 3 mallards come to hand out of 7 shots.

Tomorrow I hope for 3 more, steelhead that is. ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 10:28:34 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2008, 09:35:36 AM »

Just got a report river conditions good again today but cool out there, that is why I am waiting, until it warms up some. ;D ;D

Taboo

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2008, 07:04:52 AM »

I am just out the door here on my way to the river...  ;D  It's a chilly one in Richmond, can only imagine how cool it'll be river side.