Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hardest fighting fish..pound for pound  (Read 36577 times)

Duffs

Re: Hardest fighting fish..pound for pound
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 11:45:47 AM »

My goldfish.  23 grams of ferocity.  His name is Otis and he rises to a Royal Wulff like no other fish.  He broke my 10 wt Sage one day while I was swinging Intruders for him in my bathtub.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 12:08:27 PM »

My goldfish.  23 grams of ferocity.  His name is Otis and he rises to a Royal Wulff like no other fish.  He broke my 10 wt Sage one day while I was swinging Intruders for him in my bathtub.

We're talking pound for pound here buddy, not kilo for kilo. Get with the system! LOL

tnt

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 12:11:27 PM »

in Freshwater I would say carp... hands down... 5 Lb carp will spool you if given the opportunity
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 03:10:58 PM »

I love the sea run cutties on the dry fly. For the size of them they put up a good fight and carp are pretty good fighters too :)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Flish-Flon

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 03:46:17 PM »

Pound fer pound I got to say Bone fish, you think your fighting a 5lb fish that turns out to be under 2, great fun on light tackle balls deep in the sunny salt... :D

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 05:38:17 PM »

Fresh Chum
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 05:43:01 PM »

in Freshwater I would say carp... hands down... 5 Lb carp will spool you if given the opportunity

unno about that, i caught one a in the 7-8 lb range on a 6 weight fly rod and after its second run, it was like reeling in a log ;D ;D ....oh ya i forgot to say which fish....that would be the chum for me, they're powerful and don't give up easily.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 05:45:09 PM by Michaelt »

ratfish

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 06:27:03 PM »

I would say chum in the saltwater. And wild steelhead up north in the fresh. But the most fun for me is coho in both freshwater and salt. Those jumps and rolls they do get my heart going. I wonder what fish is the most fun for you to catch though?

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 06:45:33 PM »

In term of salmon I think it all depends on the size of the water you hook them in.  I've caught 25 lb. springs in little systems thinking you'd never be able to hold them in the pool but that wasn't the case at all.  Catch that same fish in the Skeena, Fraser, or the Thompson and the fight is HUGE!

If I were to compare the fight of a 10 lb. fish of all 6 salmon species, all in the same condition, and caught them on the exact same gear, in the same river this is the order I'd place them in :

1. Chum
2. Spring
3. Steelhead (due to colder water temp.)
4. Pink and coho tied (that's if the coho didn't roll up my leader)
5. Sockeye

If the water temp was the same for the comparison I'd bump steelhead up a spot or two...the colder the water the more lethargic steelies get... that's why summers fight so much better than winter run fish.  Also, I think a 10 lb. resident rainbow would give any of the salmon a run for their money as well.

Sinaran

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 07:02:20 PM »

pound for pound i would say Chum too.  I lost count of how often they broke my leaders up at the Squamish back in 06....

i remember back in Malaysia, there's a tropical fish called "Toman" , or "snakehead" in north america. Those r really terrifying fish to fight with.... not only they r strong and acrobatic, they have sharp teeth that will break your leader easily too.
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

4x4

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 07:35:17 PM »

That was great.

Warm salt water fish are incredible fighters. Kingfish and Cuda's on light gear are a rush. Dorado, Tarpon,Tuna, Bones...................

I'm assuming that you mean BC.

Green QC salmon are wicked according to my bro who guided up there for 10 yrs.

It's to hard of a question to answer. It depends on the gear you are using (a 5 lb trout feels a lot stronger on a 4wt than a 6wt) and the water you are fishing. A Harrison Sockeye (which are unreal fighters. Throw away the meat sticks and use a fly rod for these fish) don't feel as strong as Fraser River Sockeye. The current adds to the fight.

I've caught 3 lb Bows in the mountains in PR that put most Interior 5 lb to shame.I've had a few trout spool me on one interio rlake in the 80's. That has never happened since.
Then there is the mighty Steelhead. One day I caught 2. One after another on my 4 wt in a tube while fishing for Cutthroat in a Fraser backwater. Holy crap what a fight.

I caught a large double digit Coho in the Vedder in Sept that went ballistic. Haven't had a strong Coho for awhile like that one. Springs are brutes. Certain strains of Rainbows are great fighters.

Pound for pound the best fighting fish for me usually means the last big one I caught.

A hot, chrome Squamish Chum on a fly rod is really hard to beat though. ;)

hotrod

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 08:46:49 PM »

I would have to say that Squamish Chum are in a catagory allon their own. They can be totally insane with acrobats and brute strength!

Hotrod

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 09:17:38 PM »

In term of salmon I think it all depends on the size of the water you hook them in.  I've caught 25 lb. springs in little systems thinking you'd never be able to hold them in the pool but that wasn't the case at all.  Catch that same fish in the Skeena, Fraser, or the Thompson and the fight is HUGE!

If I were to compare the fight of a 10 lb. fish of all 6 salmon species, all in the same condition, and caught them on the exact same gear, in the same river this is the order I'd place them in :

1. Chum
2. Spring
3. Steelhead (due to colder water temp.)
4. Pink and coho tied (that's if the coho didn't roll up my leader)
5. Sockeye

If the water temp was the same for the comparison I'd bump steelhead up a spot or two...the colder the water the more lethargic steelies get... that's why summers fight so much better than winter run fish.  Also, I think a 10 lb. resident rainbow would give any of the salmon a run for their money as well.

sockeye last? are u out of your mind? im not talking about a 10lb flossed sockeye from the fraser. a 10lb sockeye on the vedder will outfight any other fish you can hook including coho and steelhead
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2008, 09:23:12 PM »

are you guys serious? has anybody in here other than me caught a largemouth bass over 10-12 lbs??? or a striper??? and remember he said pound for pound
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 09:35:52 PM »

Say no more...one of these puppies will tear your beer hand/casting arm off :o

though they taste like something the neighbors pooch left on the lawn
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?