Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hardest fighting fish..pound for pound  (Read 36561 times)

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: Hardest fighting fish..pound for pound
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2008, 02:40:45 PM »

that little tuna turned a baitcaster into a nuckle buster? holly crum, imagine what a 1000lb bluefin would be like? Freshwater i'm gonna put down, sturgeon or chum. Saltwater i'll take the black marlin hands down and then bluefin tuna
Fish killer 101

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2008, 03:09:57 PM »

And people say fishing isnt a sport  ???  ::).........  Did you see the guy at the end of the movie wipe sweat off of his forehead, I bet half those people that say that fishing isnt a sport would be in for a real surprise when they couldn't finish reeling a fish like that in  :o

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2008, 07:08:44 PM »

I don't know what that guy was expecting, horsing in a fish like that within 7 minutes on that gear.. 

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2008, 08:17:27 PM »

Yeah OK that was quite a performance.  Not sure why the reel was turning into a knuckle buster like that - pretty hairy with one of those on the end I think   :o.  Somehow I don't believe it would be manageable on a fly rod and reel.

..but I don't know the tigerfish just looks so much meaner and it was smaller too :)

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2008, 10:56:45 AM »

Yeah OK that was quite a performance.  Not sure why the reel was turning into a knuckle buster like that - pretty hairy with one of those on the end I think   :o.  Somehow I don't believe it would be manageable on a fly rod and reel.

..but I don't know the tigerfish just looks so much meaner and it was smaller too :)

You better have a massive arbor on your reel, lets say 500 yards of line or more  ::). I guess you never know until you try it though  ;D

kato

« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2008, 12:08:59 PM »

From my experience, not only does species matter, but also location. For example, any of the anadromous species from the upper Fraser would have great fighting abilities since through genetics they have the ability to make it over significant distances through some treacherous water.

I believe that the July red springs on the Vedder are an upper Fraser strain (I could be wrong on this). What I do know is that they put up an absolutely incredible fight, particularly if they are on the move upriver when caught. My landed to hooked ration on these fish is about 10:1. Also, I see mention of the sockeye on the Vedder. I wonder if those are native to the system or transplanted from elsewhere - the upper Fraser perhaps?

The same could be said about the legendary Thompson River Steelhead. Incredible stamina and blistering speed.

I've hooked a few of the mammoth Steelhead on the Kispiox, and whilst they fought well, they were just that, mammoth. So they don't get my vote on a pound for pound basis.

With regard to the Squamish Chum, they do fight very hard if you get them fresh out of the ocean. In terms of numbers, this has to be the species which I've caught the most (never kept one mind you). However, on a pound for pound basis, my vote goes to the Vedder red Springs.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2008, 10:52:19 PM »

Vedder River sockeye are not transplanted into the Vedder river. They are originals from Cultus and Chilliwack Lake. The hatchery refuses to raise them because they can get a disease in captivity which would mean killing every smolt the hatchery has at the time and a full sterilization which would not go over well. As far as Vedder Reds go, yes the fight like crazy... Ive only ever hooked around 15 and only landed 4, but from what I got they are a ton of fun, although a few of the ones Ive hooked have just sat in one spot and used a lot of their weight against the current, a few have gone crazy on me. Reds also are the best tasting fish  ;)  Good (tasting) fish + Good fight = Lets go fishing !!! Only 10 more days to wait  :)

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2008, 11:26:14 PM »

...My landed to hooked ration on these fish is about 10:1. Also, I see mention of the sockeye on the Vedder. I wonder if those are native to the system or transplanted from elsewhere - the upper Fraser perhaps?

10:1 LANDED to hooked ratio??? Now thats impressive. How do you land 10 fish for every one you hook? LOL

Too funny.. I think you meant to say 10:1 HOOKED to Landed ratio. ;)

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2008, 11:36:55 PM »

Buntzen lake Northern pike minnow.

Enough Said!

;)
I like ROE

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2008, 11:55:42 PM »

Freshwater i'm gonna put down, sturgeon

this coming from a kid who wanted to go sturgeon fishing so bad the other day with me because he had never hooked one.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2008, 11:56:48 PM »

Buntzen lake Northern pike minnow.

Enough Said!

;)

im gonna have to disagree with you on that one peter. the tidal fraser pike minnows i find fight much harder than the ones at buntzen, hands down.

Sinaran

« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2008, 04:45:50 AM »

Freshwater i'm gonna put down, sturgeon

this coming from a kid who wanted to go sturgeon fishing so bad the other day with me because he had never hooked one.
:o :o :o
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2008, 08:56:41 AM »

North Central Harrison River Stickleback between April 3 at 12:01PM and April 4 at 1:14 AM will tear anyone up. 

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2008, 04:23:53 PM »

oh my gosh, CARP ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2008, 09:58:26 PM »

North Central Harrison River Stickleback between April 3 at 12:01PM and April 4 at 1:14 AM will tear anyone up. 

O man I gotta wait till next year now lol  ;)  How do you find them in the pitch black like that?