Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hardest fighting fish..pound for pound  (Read 36596 times)

fisherkingnigel

• Fishing is a passion...without it what would i do?
    • Tsurishop Japan-Authentic Japanese Fishing Tackle
Re: Hardest fighting fish..pound for pound
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 06:15:08 AM »

Snakeheads are pretty strong, a fraser sturgeon will pull forever and I have to say tuna are up there too! The fish in my opinion goes to a fish here in Japan called the ISHIDAI. They feed off seaurchin and when you get one on they dive down into the rock buff. Here's a link of what I'm talking about:
ISHIDAI

Nigelman ;)

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 12:40:48 PM »

In term of salmon I think it all depends on the size of the water you hook them in.  I've caught 25 lb. springs in little systems thinking you'd never be able to hold them in the pool but that wasn't the case at all.  Catch that same fish in the Skeena, Fraser, or the Thompson and the fight is HUGE!

If I were to compare the fight of a 10 lb. fish of all 6 salmon species, all in the same condition, and caught them on the exact same gear, in the same river this is the order I'd place them in :

1. Chum
2. Spring
3. Steelhead (due to colder water temp.)
4. Pink and coho tied (that's if the coho didn't roll up my leader)
5. Sockeye

If the water temp was the same for the comparison I'd bump steelhead up a spot or two...the colder the water the more lethargic steelies get... that's why summers fight so much better than winter run fish.  Also, I think a 10 lb. resident rainbow would give any of the salmon a run for their money as well.

sockeye last? are u out of your mind? im not talking about a 10lb flossed sockeye from the fraser. a 10lb sockeye on the vedder will outfight any other fish you can hook including coho and steelhead

Over the last couple of decades I've hooked several very large Adams R. socks while fishing for springs on the Thompson...they weren't anything special....Also Birkenhead R. fish and they can be in that 10 lb. range...once again no big deal.  What makes the vedder fish so much stronger??

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 12:59:19 PM »

the lowly carp

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 02:01:49 PM »

Havent caught a tuna but mackrel for their size outfight salmon.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 04:44:26 PM »

In term of salmon I think it all depends on the size of the water you hook them in.  I've caught 25 lb. springs in little systems thinking you'd never be able to hold them in the pool but that wasn't the case at all.  Catch that same fish in the Skeena, Fraser, or the Thompson and the fight is HUGE!

If I were to compare the fight of a 10 lb. fish of all 6 salmon species, all in the same condition, and caught them on the exact same gear, in the same river this is the order I'd place them in :

1. Chum
2. Spring
3. Steelhead (due to colder water temp.)
4. Pink and coho tied (that's if the coho didn't roll up my leader)
5. Sockeye

If the water temp was the same for the comparison I'd bump steelhead up a spot or two...the colder the water the more lethargic steelies get... that's why summers fight so much better than winter run fish.  Also, I think a 10 lb. resident rainbow would give any of the salmon a run for their money as well.

sockeye last? are u out of your mind? im not talking about a 10lb flossed sockeye from the fraser. a 10lb sockeye on the vedder will outfight any other fish you can hook including coho and steelhead

Over the last couple of decades I've hooked several very large Adams R. socks while fishing for springs on the Thompson...they weren't anything special....Also Birkenhead R. fish and they can be in that 10 lb. range...once again no big deal.  What makes the vedder fish so much stronger??

not sure.. were the fish you hooked chromers? the ones out of the vedder were ocean fresh.. and they were crazy.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2008, 05:35:15 PM »

For our waters,
Chum...On the Squamish, it's the only fish that regularly broke my 15lb leader on the fly...Had to go to twenty finally to land one...

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2008, 05:53:42 PM »

jack springs, try feeder springs in the salt.

but carp will strip ya.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »

Speaking strictly from my own limited experience:
In BC...I'd say fresh chum.
Worldwide...tough call between bluefish and snook (robalo).

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2008, 05:52:36 AM »

Snakeheads are pretty strong, a fraser sturgeon will pull forever and I have to say tuna are up there too! The fish in my opinion goes to a fish here in Japan called the ISHIDAI. They feed off seaurchin and when you get one on they dive down into the rock buff. Here's a link of what I'm talking about:
ISHIDAI

Nigelman ;)

Good to see there is now an active tagging and catch & release program going on for ishidai in Japan. Ishidai's deep dive indeed makes them one of the toughest fish to handle. The ones in the photos are way below average size unfortunately. When we targeted them, fish were weighed in at 5 to 10kg range, sometimes bigger. It's also a fantastic eating fish, therefore releasing them was sadly never an option back then.

My choice of hard fighting fish is the yellowtail kingfish. Nigel would know what I am talking about. Yellowfin and bluefine tuna are up there too. Take a look at these yellowtail kingfish video clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Cp6yFhSrc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=898XbEceUnQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0CTyfjDeGc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1LEXf1oLDE

fisherkingnigel

• Fishing is a passion...without it what would i do?
    • Tsurishop Japan-Authentic Japanese Fishing Tackle
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2008, 08:20:35 AM »

Rodney I totally agree about those yellowtails. My third trip out I got a 10kg one on a jig that was a great fight!! Now comparing that to a V.Island 33lb spring I'd say it all depends on what your tackle is. In Japan I use premium PE line with a 60lb leaders and a short 6 ft jigigng rod. In BC it's knuckle busters with 20lb leaders which makes the fight much more tougher on the angler.

Here's an old video I made for youtube about yellowtail jigging. Sorry about the video quality :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P91fPI_Vmw

But I do have to say a yellowtail will dive deeper and harder compared to salmon but they tire pretty quickly when you put the pressure on. I guess the debate continues....

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2008, 01:27:25 PM »

It's tough to be fair when comparing the fighting quality of these forementioned species of fish.  Water temperature is probably the biggest factor.  Fish hooked in tropical waters have an advantage compared to Northern colder waters.

We have two tanks in my classroom, one's a tropical and the other a salmon incubator.  We took one of the tropical fish, put it in a 1 litre bag of it's tank water (21 degrees) and immersed it in the salmon tank (7 degrees) and let it acclimatize to the same temperature.  The tropical fish moved down to a rock and stayed there the whole time we left it in the tank.  I reversed the process  and in no time at all that tropical fish was zipping around like I would be right now if I was in Hawaii.

Just wondering if anyone has ever hooked a tuna up here in the Pacific northwest when they follow the mackeral up and if the fight is noticeably less due to the colder water conditions.  Of couse the only time they come uphere  is during El Nino which makes the ocean temperature up here warmer anyway so in this case the point might be moot.

Water depth is also a factor....a bone fish has nowhere to go but horizontally whereas a fish hooked in deeper water can sound.  Personally, I like hooking trout and such in shallower water because you tend to have more arials than in deeper water.  And another variable is wether the fish is being played in still waters like lakes or oceans or in a current (rivers).

For me the best part of playing the fish has always been the hook set and feeling those first head shakes especially if it's sight fishing: fishing with an indicator, a float, or a dry fly.... coupled with that first run with my single action reel screaming....that to me is the biggest rush of fishing.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2008, 04:23:01 PM »

albacore tuna are caught 35 miles out on the west coast of vanc island.

Toprod

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2008, 05:56:40 PM »

The hardest fighting local fish i have caught so far are:

1. Chrome Chums

2. Smallmouth Bass

3. Petrale Sole (Brill)

nosey

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2008, 07:44:05 PM »

Kamloops trout in the early summer from the lakes around Merritt, when they're out of the water so high you have to look up out of your float tube and shaking so hard they sound like a babies rattle I don't know how you can compare that to any thing else pound for pound.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2008, 07:27:56 AM »

There's a reason no one fishes tuna, kingfish or permit with a centerpin, they'd never get one in.  BTW, the marlin is the fastest swiming fish.  I also don't believe water depth has anything to do with how hard they fight or if they jump or not.  Marlin and Tarpin go nuts in the air with more than 1000 feet of water below them.