Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hardest fighting fish..pound for pound  (Read 36596 times)

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Hardest fighting fish..pound for pound
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2008, 10:28:45 AM »

Marlin definitely is a contender. Although not an exciting fight after the first 10minutes, a 155# marlin took 3 of us a long time to land (over 2hrs), albeit it was me and two fishing noobs playing it. I've had sturgeon of the same weight category landed in under 10minutes

redside1

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2008, 05:23:08 PM »

warm water fish are by far and away tougher to drag in than any cold water species. This thread would have been a little better if it was about BC species not so generalized.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2008, 11:03:03 PM »

Fighting a pink with 2 wt fly rod and 4lb leader can be very challenging.  And fishing for 70lb spring with merling setup can be boring.

Personally I like fishing for carp with hand pole with 3lb leader.  It's fun and challenging.
Or 2 wt fly fishing for kokanees would be fun too.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2008, 09:55:18 PM »

Then again, I have seen footage of African tigerfish On a line - the meanest things I have ever Seen for sure.

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2008, 11:32:18 PM »

Then again, I have seen footage of African tigerfish On a line - the meanest things I have ever Seen for sure.

haha i saw a video of people fighting that fish pretty nasty teeth there
hardware == fish

umpo4

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2008, 11:04:02 AM »

5-6 lb Small mouth will fight you in the boat. Much longer duration of the fight than Lg . mouth. But around here Chum hen about 6-8 lbs is tough

Zpg

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2008, 02:02:12 PM »

I have been lucky enough to fish for many salt and fresh water species and personally I found that the Roosterfish and Yellowfin Tuna are the clear winners. If you are matching gear with species you will have to seriously up the rod and line class for both of these fish. If you were to try to land a 40lb tuna or roosterfish with a salmon set-up you would never get one to the boat unless you had a ton of line and lots of time on your hands.

While in Ixtapa a couple of years ago we hooked into a 250lb blue marlin and with the very same rod an 80lb yellowfin a couple of hours later. The Marlin took 30 minutes to boat and the tuna over an hour. We also went for roosters the next day and a 20lb rooster took over 25 mins using heavy tackle.

my .02
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

monkey balls

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2008, 05:20:36 PM »

i agree with kingpin a properly hooked sockeye are great fighters.one day last year on the vedder i could not keep them off my line,i was even catching them on pro cured roe 8)

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2008, 09:33:26 PM »

i agree with kingpin a properly hooked sockeye are great fighters.one day last year on the vedder i could not keep them off my line,i was even catching them on pro cured roe 8)

I landed 4 sockeye last year on my fly rod using a blue fly for trout.... 2 of them even came up and grabbed it right off the top, I thought sockeye dont bite guys  ;)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2008, 10:05:48 PM »

Yeah ...they can be a pain when your targetting reds on the vedder to!
weeeeeeeeeow!

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2008, 10:10:23 PM »

no its just painful to see you wearing that coon skin hat danny
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2008, 10:13:04 PM »

Why do people say Socks don't bite when people are hooking them on roe and flies? Just another excuse to start bottom bouncing lol  ;)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2008, 10:36:03 PM »

Kamloops trout in the early summer from the lakes around Merritt, when they're out of the water so high you have to look up out of your float tube and shaking so hard they sound like a babies rattle I don't know how you can compare that to any thing else pound for pound.

I agree - for local freshwater fishing, Kamloops trout, pound for pound, are tough to beat!  Ahh - my favorite type of fishing has to be the quality stillwaters of the interior!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2008, 10:38:29 PM »

no its just painful to see you wearing that coon skin hat danny
You still waering that?

Steelhead in my opinion are the hardest fighters, mind you with only getting out once this year, I may have forgotten how they fight. ::)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

standalone

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2008, 11:24:17 AM »

burst:red dot in my tropic hometown.
endurance:maybe chum.