Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hardest fighting fish..pound for pound  (Read 36574 times)

Jona

Re: Hardest fighting fish..pound for pound
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2008, 12:32:31 PM »

In my opinion, a Thompson River Steelie puts up the best fight!

steelhead

« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2008, 07:54:45 PM »

Hot female Chum in this area is still the toughest. Small mout are a close 2nd

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2008, 10:15:53 PM »

BS or DWM
Where the hell have you been?  ;) One of our most contributing members disappears and randomly shows back up? I thought you would have been slaying them that whole time... but you only got out once?  ;D  ???
The Bigger The Better!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2008, 10:18:32 PM »

BS or DWM
Where the hell have you been?  ;) One of our most contributing members disappears and randomly shows back up? I thought you would have been slaying them that whole time... but you only got out once?  ;D  ???
I've been around, but working so much I haven't even really had time to be a lurker!!  And yeah, I only got out once all year.  But I did get one about 7-8 lbs on that trip, so at least I didn't get skunked for the season. :D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2008, 10:23:08 PM »

Sockeye and although Idont fish much for small lake trout they seem to be very aggressive fighters.
The Bigger The Better!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2008, 10:37:34 PM »

no its just painful to see you wearing that coon skin hat danny
You still waering that?

Steelhead in my opinion are the hardest fighters, mind you with only getting out once this year, I may have forgotten how they fight. ::)

haha Dave!! I thought you took up golf or something ;D  ...I wear it the occasional time  ;) ..were gonna have to go fishing soon!
weeeeeeeeeow!

nvloc

• Undoing wind knots since 1994.
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2008, 05:27:10 PM »

Bella Coola Chums are Bulldogs. They don't give up.

fyrslyer

« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2008, 08:03:03 PM »

rainbow trout

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2008, 07:42:32 PM »

I remembered reading this and I couldn't help thinking about the African Tigerfish.  After a quick search on utube I dug up this link.  (There were a few others but this one was probably the best of them in my opinion).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnBKi9FlDXs

From what I can see they seem to fight a lot like my first chum last year - not breaking the surface a lot just a lot of stamina and power.

When I was a kid in South Africa my parents took me to the Zambezi once.   I remember seeing swirls on the surface and lots of small fish jumping so I threw out a spoon to see what would happen - after the first cast there was a big swirl right behind the lure and a wrenching thump as the thing hit.  Probably exagerating but it felt like my arms had been pulled out of their sockets.  The power of those Tigerfish is really something. Sad to say I did not get that one and I was unable to repeat the attempt but it is not something I have ever forgotten.

If I had the money and the time the Zambezi River would be THE destination for me.

BOWHUNTER

« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2008, 09:41:05 PM »

I would go with Squamish Chum on this one the initial power is insane!!

joshuag232

« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2008, 11:14:15 AM »

pile perch or milkfish

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2008, 11:20:52 AM »

Rainbow Trout... Whether they are in a lake, river, or come from the ocean, they all fight good  ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2008, 11:35:01 AM »

In term of salmon I think it all depends on the size of the water you hook them in.  I've caught 25 lb. springs in little systems thinking you'd never be able to hold them in the pool but that wasn't the case at all.  Catch that same fish in the Skeena, Fraser, or the Thompson and the fight is HUGE!

If I were to compare the fight of a 10 lb. fish of all 6 salmon species, all in the same condition, and caught them on the exact same gear, in the same river this is the order I'd place them in :

1. Chum
2. Spring
3. Steelhead (due to colder water temp.)
4. Pink and coho tied (that's if the coho didn't roll up my leader)
5. Sockeye

If the water temp was the same for the comparison I'd bump steelhead up a spot or two...the colder the water the more lethargic steelies get... that's why summers fight so much better than winter run fish.  Also, I think a 10 lb. resident rainbow would give any of the salmon a run for their money as well.

sockeye last? are u out of your mind? im not talking about a 10lb flossed sockeye from the fraser. a 10lb sockeye on the vedder will outfight any other fish you can hook including coho and steelhead

Over the last couple of decades I've hooked several very large Adams R. socks while fishing for springs on the Thompson...they weren't anything special....Also Birkenhead R. fish and they can be in that 10 lb. range...once again no big deal.  What makes the vedder fish so much stronger??

not sure.. were the fish you hooked chromers? the ones out of the vedder were ocean fresh.. and they were crazy.

I hate having to insert these long quotes... I agree with Kingpin. I accidentally hooked 4 last year on a blue fly that were ocean fresh chromers and those things go ballistic. One of them even snapped the hook on my fly in half, Sockeye are a close second to rainbows still though.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 11:40:12 AM by Every Day »

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2008, 01:20:08 PM »

I must admit, Chum do seem to be pretty impressive.

Thanks to some good advice on this forum I got my first one, actually my one and only, Chum salmon on a fly last year and it was murder getting it in - not even a fresh Chrome one either.   The fight went a lot like that tiger fight I posted - below the surface all the time and lots of power.

It was about 12 lbs so it's hard to compare with the smaller fish I normally catch - there was also a pretty strong current to contend with.  I would say a carp of the same size with the right temperature conditions could be just as impressive but I have never caught a carp that size or under strong current conditions.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2008, 02:13:03 PM »

nothing touches tuna (bluefin)..:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ttSzJYFALE&NR=1