Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: which blank for a pin?  (Read 1725 times)

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
which blank for a pin?
« on: February 14, 2008, 12:57:42 PM »

Hello all you fishing people out there!  I have just acquired a new reel, and was thinking about what I would put it on... so I need suggestions for a new rod.  I have never fished with a CP before, but I was thinking that I would use it primarily on big rivers (skeena, T, fraser ect) and hopefully for big fish.

Anyone have some suggestion about what blank is a good starting point, spacing, and how much cork etc?  Price limit on a blank is 300$ and I was hoping to build a long rod as I like them better.

If you have info, letter rip.

Jon

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: which blank for a pin?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »

I learned to cast a CP on a sage 3113 and now have a wide variety of CPs...somethings I think I have noticed since my CP collection has grown: longer rods are easier to cast and rods that are really fast or really slow are a little harder to learn on too.  Example...I have a 9 foot 9 weight and that takes sooo long to load that its trickier to cast.   As well, I have a MH blank with a realitively quick tip and that emparts a lot of snap, quickly to the spool when casting.  This can create some backlashing issues if you don't "check" the reel heavily when casting. 

The 3113 is a really nice rod to learn on, lots of length to manage the cast, nice soft tip which takes the "snap" outta your cast, good back bone to punch it out once the reel is up to speed...but its probably a little light for the river syou mentioned.  I REEEEEALY like my lamiglas's GSH 1382MH.  I like it so much I built 3 up.  Its an older blank that I think stacks up to the sage 4120 quite nicely except its way cheaper and quite a bit softer.  At 11'5 feet and rate in the neighborhood of 25-30lb max line rating, I think it would be great.  I was on a buddies boat hucking 4 oz betties and his 4120 was way snappier and a little beefier but my lami was certainly capable of casting that same 4 oz weight just as far and it certainly had the same fish handling capacity.

If this is going to be a big river rod then a spey blank may be a great option too.  In terms of cork and guide numbers and spacing...its kinda hard to say without a specific blank in mind...rod length will be the determining factor for # of  guides etc.

Good luck.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »

Thanks for the great feedback... I was thinking of a spey or switch blank to get it going...  I will keep you posted if I ever get time to build it.  :P

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 03:17:30 PM »

what reel is it?