Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kawkawa Lake March 22nd, 2008  (Read 3372 times)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Kawkawa Lake March 22nd, 2008
« on: March 22, 2008, 08:17:42 PM »

Well seing today was suppose to be a nice day decided to make the trip to kawkawa lake in search of some tasty kokanee. My father and uncle decided to join me also. Awoke to an excellent day with no clouds in sight. Made it to the lake around 9:45 and was suprised to see only a few boats on the water. I believe Golfman and Trophy Hunter were there also however rick had a leak in his float tube. :-\ I baiting the rods with some pro-cured krill and sent them down to the bottom. 20 minutes into the day I had my first bite however came up empty handed. It was another little while until I had another one...however capitalized on that one and boated a nice kokanee. After that action was fast and furious for the next hour. Hooking into over a dozen fish however only landing 6. The sun was then fully shineing and fishing died down. A few more bites here and there however none landed. Spent the last 30 minutes or so anchored near rodney talking and watching my rod not move :'( Called it a day around 2:45 and headed home. Thought I saw lucky out there also. All in all an excellent day and could not ask for any better weather!

Cheers,  RK
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 08:20:12 PM by THE_ROE_KID »
weeeeeeeeeow!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Kawkawa March 22nd
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 08:27:51 PM »

You left too early. ;D

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 08:36:03 PM »

Didn't know you were out there today Rod, I was in CEJ's big boat with his kids. Had a Japanese exchange student catch his first couple fish in Canada.  Once we got on top of them and the bite turned on it was great fun, too bad we had to leave just after 3 cause I'm sure it got even better.  Very nice day to get the kids hooked...
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 08:38:03 PM »

Oh that was you guys... The first two hours I was too stubborn to be using bait and kept tossing these flies out seeing they were rising around us, then I kept hearing "fish on!" from the boats around me, including yours I think... :P Then bait came out two hours later, the rest of the story was pretty obvious. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 08:39:27 PM »

Oh that was you guys... The first two hours I was too stubborn to be using bait and kept tossing these flies out seeing they were rising around us, then I kept hearing "fish on!" from the boats around me, including yours I think... :P Then bait came out two hours later, the rest of the story was pretty obvious. ;D
You should move to Hope. ;D ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 08:41:25 PM »

I know. ::)

This is DEFINITELY the last trip of March to Kawkawa. The boat is coming down and out comes the river gear next week. :)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 09:15:01 PM »

Didn't know you were out there today Rod, I was in CEJ's big boat with his kids. Had a Japanese exchange student catch his first couple fish in Canada.  Once we got on top of them and the bite turned on it was great fun, too bad we had to leave just after 3 cause I'm sure it got even better.  Very nice day to get the kids hooked...

Oo ..I think i know which boat you were then! ...you guys did well by the sounds of it ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Kawkawa Lake March 22nd, 2008
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 09:16:11 PM »

Some photos to share. :)

One couldn't ask for a better day than today, Many of us took advantage of it before the next rainstorm arrives tomorrow. Lucky and his girlfriend trolled by this very picture-worthy background.

Fish on! I'll let him tell you who caught the most fish in that boat today. ;D

Awaiting for the light taps on my spinning rod.

This loon popped up ten feet in front of me suddenly and completely caught me by surprise. :o

Uh oh! Rick came out in the afternoon with his leaky Fish Cat. He fished, kicked, pumped as his buddy Xgolfman fished comfortably in the background. ;D It was a full-body workout.

Nevertheless, his spirit was high, or perhaps simply in denial that he was in fact gradually sinking. ;)

It definitely took a bit more patience to catch some fish today compared to last week. Bites were not as often and were lighter too, so I was having plenty of missed hook-set as usual. ::) Lots of boats were out enjoying the day and no drama on the water, so a good day for all. :)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Kawkawa Lake March 22nd, 2008
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 10:41:13 PM »

You guys are making me jealous.

I spent the last two days teaching my youngest and her friend to catch Crappies on Whonnock. Two days of hearing "shoot, stupid fish, this is making me mad," and "how do you do that Dad", while gritting my teeth in the cold wind. Would you believe it snowed on us yesterday.

The chironomids hatch was thick enough that we were eating them and the sparrows over the lake were amazing, almost as thick as the hatch.

Anyway some good things happened; my youngest isn't scarred of boats anymore, her friend isn't scarred of insects anymore, I finally used the boat my wife bought me 8 years ago (canoe addict), and we caught enough Crappies for one dinner.

Hey! Good for all of you who made the bite at Kawkawa!
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 11:04:58 PM »

There sure were alot of blue skies and bent rods out there today, we couldnt have asked for a better day weather wise.

My fishing partner Mary was having a great day, out of the ten fish brought to our boat nine of them were caught by her :-\ in my defence as captain I have less time to actually fish as I am always keeping lines untangled and positioning the boat over fish and other stuff ;D

That was our last trip out there this year, it sure has been a fun month, March 1st has been marked on the calender for next year.

Great job with the pics Rod

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 11:37:25 PM »

Glad you guys did well..I got skunked...lots of hard taps but nothing to show for it...but was fun trying out the 2wt and waiting for Rick to sink...I found out why Rodney does so well...He chums...there was krill all over the water by his boat!!! I was having a nice cigar and watching all the chironomids hatch and then...GOOD GOD...there's a krill hatch happening!!  ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 12:00:22 AM »

I found out why Rodney does so well...He chums...there was krill all over the water by his boat!!! I was having a nice cigar and watching all the chironomids hatch and then...GOOD GOD...there's a krill hatch happening!!  ;)

:-X

Desperate times needs desperate measures. Those kids on bederko's boat were catching them left and right 100ft from me, I had to somehow bring the action over. ;D

yamadirt 426

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 05:03:06 PM »

I got out there too. I got skunked while my wife got one on the dryfly. great weather

yamadirt 426

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 05:12:33 PM »

You guys are making me jealous.

I spent the last two days teaching my youngest and her friend to catch Crappies on Whonnock. Two days of hearing "shoot, stupid fish, this is making me mad," and "how do you do that Dad", while gritting my teeth in the cold wind. Would you believe it snowed on us yesterday.

The chironomids hatch was thick enough that we were eating them and the sparrows over the lake were amazing, almost as thick as the hatch.

Anyway some good things happened; my youngest isn't scarred of boats anymore, her friend isn't scarred of insects anymore, I finally used the boat my wife bought me 8 years ago (canoe addict), and we caught enough Crappies for one dinner.

Hey! Good for all of you who made the bite at Kawkawa!

just wondering what you were using on those crappies newsman. I would like to try that one day.    Mike

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 09:10:03 PM »

Crappies will hit almost anything
you can use a bobber and a small fly
once you catch one stay there as they tend to school
They like the weeds for cover
I got one a couple of years ago 14 inch plus
Hardly fit in my landing net :o