Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How are you supposed to hold your rod when a fish jumps?  (Read 3486 times)

norm_2

How are you supposed to hold your rod when a fish jumps?
« on: April 21, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »

I lost at least a couple fish when they jumped.  I didn't really do anything with the rod.  What do you do that is successful?  Helpful comments would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: How are you supposed to hold your rod when a fish jumps?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 09:36:02 PM »

Keep a tight line and "bow" to the fish.

steeleagle

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 10:42:43 PM »

You point the rod towards the water, or lower your tip, or else if there's to much tension on the line it will snap. ALL ways bow the rod to the fish when it jump, this will help gurrenteed

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 12:02:17 AM »

when the fish jumps...you jump.  It keeps everything at an even keel. ;D J.K.  Just like everyone said...apply tension to the line and when the fish jumps bow the rod down to help cushion the impact.

doja

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 09:28:54 AM »

I hold my rod tip in the air like everyone else BUT a properly matched rod to the fish you are fishing will not lose many fish (if any). I have never lost a fish due to jumping because my rod (8-15# line suggestion) will always be loaded on the lower side (IE 10#)  so the line will stretch enough not to let the slack happen. And the rod WILL be properly matched to the size of fish to absorb the head shakes while in or out of the water. I've also found better to go with a lighter rod then risk going too heavy as many fish will be lost.

Many fish are lost due to a poorly matched rod/line/size of fish ;)

This can be very expensive with all the differerent species but well worth it.

Going with lighter line will help somewhat on a unmatched rod.

Doja
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 09:33:34 AM by doja »

Teal

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 11:02:41 AM »

Remember this is fishing and fish no matter what you do will come off when they jump. Softer rods are more forgiving when fish jump. When flyfishing I have lowered the rod especially when using light leaders and find that picking up the slack after the jump is important and helps set the hook before the next leap.

umpo4

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 01:41:16 PM »

I even use lighter rods 6-10 lb 10' 6" with soft tip but solid butt section. Never have a problem with jumping fish. As everyone says you must keep your rod loaded ( tension on) but not to pull them sideways. I Always use 12-15 lb line which holds up better allowing very little chaffing from all the rocks.  No matter what people say " fish especially, steelhead, ARE NOT LINE SHY " .  The last couple of weeks I've found the fish are VERY hot / active providing many jumps because of the warmer water. Some just come off no matter how you handle them.................