Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lafarge Lake - May long weekend May 17 & 18  (Read 1444 times)

gheart008

Lafarge Lake - May long weekend May 17 & 18
« on: May 20, 2008, 12:06:04 AM »

I guess it's good that some of you went away this weekend since Lafarge wasn't that packed as usual right after a fresh stocking.  Both days I had my u-boat on the water by 5:45 and fished 3 hours each day. 

Landed 15 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday, largest being a girthy 13.5 incher.  On Sunday I landed the smallest trout ever, only measuring 7 inches.  Not even sure if it was supposed to be there being that small?

Was trolling two rods, one with floating with sink tip with an olive leech pattern, and the other having a full sinking line with a bead head brown leech pattern.  Saturday was non stop action on the olive leech, and exact opposite on Sunday, having most of the action on the brown.

I like hanging around the beach side of the lake now since not as many shore casters around.

Was chatting it up with a man who brought out his son, which looked around five to six in age, in their car topper boat, and seeing the kid catch fish was just priceless since he got so excited every time he had a fish on.

Was a great weekend.  Gas costs are killing me though...  :'(

Funeral Of Hearts

Re: Lafarge Lake - May long weekend May 17 & 18
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 10:53:35 AM »

Sounds like you did well.

I went to lafarge on the 18th, and had reasonable success. I was casting a fly from my float tube in the south west corner of the lake for a couple hours and caught and released six. I was using a type 2 sink tip with a red doc spratley.

Lots of fun.

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 11:30:36 AM »

I was casting blue foxes over the other shore and did not get any bites .Over the past several weeks the bites from shore has decreased , even the regulars have not been showing up .If they have been stocking the lake on regular bases there should be more bites from shore .

gheart008

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 11:46:46 AM »

I was casting blue foxes over the other shore and did not get any bites .Over the past several weeks the bites from shore has decreased , even the regulars have not been showing up .If they have been stocking the lake on regular bases there should be more bites from shore .

The lake was just stocked on the 16th, the Friday right before the weekend.  I saw tons of regulars along the shore lines and the shore lines were packed actually.

There was once during the day on Sunday actually when the action was so good, I landed one on the olive leech, unhooked the fish, let the hook go so the hook was in the water right in front of me, was in the process of reviving the fish when all of a suddenly another trout took the exact same leech I just let go.  So I'm sitting there with a fish in my left hand in the water while trying to hold onto the rod with my right.  Luckily the fish in the left soon took off so I could regain control of the rod, and ended up landing another one.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 11:51:00 AM by gheart008 »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 10:23:14 PM »

Are these mostly the 300 gm fish or some left over from the 500 gm fish they stocked in April?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 10:53:34 PM »

Are these mostly the 300 gm fish or some left over from the 500 gm fish they stocked in April?

If you race over there this week you might get some of the 500gm ones left. If not the mall food court aint bad. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

gheart008

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 11:03:30 AM »

Na they were all from the 300 gram stocking.  It would be rare to hook a 500 gram fish as of right now.  Those ones were anywhere from 15-16 inches.  Largest one for me for the two days was 13.5.