Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lafarge poachers  (Read 10834 times)

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
lafarge poachers
« on: May 21, 2008, 07:28:59 AM »

Unfortunately poachers are at it again! >:( I was talking to a guy who said he saw 2 diff. people killing way to many fish.One person killed 20 the other kept killing 4 leaving and coming back 4 times1 >:(  I told him it was important to call it in when ever he sees it.He told me he did.
fishing is life, the rest is just details.

gheart008

Re: lafarge poachers
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 10:59:34 AM »

Unfortunately poachers are at it again! >:( I was talking to a guy who said he saw 2 diff. people killing way to many fish.One person killed 20 the other kept killing 4 leaving and coming back 4 times1 >:(  I told him it was important to call it in when ever he sees it.He told me he did.

Man... and I actually take the time to revive the fish after playing them out.  Guess that effort is all wasted...

RossP

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 12:30:21 PM »

Unfortunatly that happens alot on the put and take lakes. I have reported similar
happenings on Mill Lake and I never have seen a CO come dow. I guess they
think it is a put and take lake so why bother. I have confronted some of the
people doing this on Mill Liake and have basicly been told to F*** O**. I use
to spend alot of time at Mil as my office was only a block away and I use to go
there for lunch to go for a walk. We need to have more people phoning things
like this in when ever you see them, then maybe something will be done.
I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 01:07:35 PM »

When the lakes are stocked, the hatchery circulates the information to all of its contacts (ministry biologists, hatchery staff, conservation officers, etc) so everyone who works in these fisheries are aware of the stocking and expected increase in fishing pressure and possible poaching.

Conservation officers are always on patrol. When you phone in and report the violations, the dispatcher relays that information to conservation officers who are responsible for the area where the violation is taking place. If one of the conservation is nearby, he or she would attend that violation immediately. Unfortunately, the reality is that there are only a few conservation officers designated in each large area being enforced, so many violations cannot be attended. This should not discourage people from phoning violations in, because if the frequency of reported violation in an area is high, then more attention would be given to that area.

For example, a couple of years ago when multiple dippings of daily quota at Lafarge Lake were reported, conservation officers stood at the lake and caught the same violators doing the exact same thing several days later.

I will relay your comments to the conservation officers responsible to see what improvements could be made.

RossP

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 02:55:12 PM »

I realize that the CO's are overloaded and that we do not have enough of them.
It is just so darn frustrating watching the same group do this day after day. It is
like the parents who take thier kids down to the lake and feed the ducks right
under the sgn that says Do Not feed the ducks. I have also pointed that out to
many in a very polite way and have been told to mind my own buisness in
no uncertain terms. I guess I am just getting old and grumpy.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 03:47:21 PM by RossP »
I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 09:54:21 PM »

Fished out with people double and triple dipping ?

This has to be stopped
whats the point in stocking a lake to encourage inner city fishing when all you get is a bunch of non English speaking(when you try to talk to them) poachers saying no understand
OK some of you might say call the fisheries, Co's what ever but has anyone ever seen them come out following a call(and yes i have called them)

I told one guy to beat it and go home the other week as he had kept 4 and was catching them for other people

As for taking down details ! well when i am in my tube and they are on shore its tough
Plus there was a group of them at one stage so i did not want to confront them all
and i was parked over the other side of where they were fishing so did not want to leave my gear in the car while i went over to them
I rarely fish it more than once a week but each time i am there the same guys are there taking more than there fare share
and i don't fish the same days each time so i guess they are there every day

I fished there the other day and if that lake was stocked with 1000 330g fish on the 15th then someone took them all out again
I hooked only a few fish and they were small
any fish i did see caught were also small
don't get me wrong small fish are great to catch but these were not 300g
There were at least 5 guys fly fishing and most of them only got one or two fish

sorry if i ranted on but enough is enough >:(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 12:36:23 AM »

Also keep in mind that heavy angling pressure also results in educated fish, therefore hook-up rate is expected to decline.

fishingnewb

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 08:08:17 AM »

Britguy:

So the English speaking poachers are ok, but not the non-English speaking ones?  I think I missed the small print in the regulations, where it states I need to be fluent in English to fish.  Also, do you really know who's poaching or are you assuming everyone who doesn't speak English must be poaching?  I've been to Lafarge several times and I see a lot of regulars there, but for the most part, I don't see a whole lot of violations...  just a lot of angling pressure on a small pond.

Also, who cares if someone is catching fish for a friend?  If they stay within in their limits...  let them have fun.  Sheeesh, it's Lafarge...  we're not steelheading...  it's a 2 dollar fish in a lake meant for kids, why get so uptight?

Anyhow, all I see in your post is blame (non-English people for that matter) and multiple reasons why you can't help change the situation (language...  too many of them...  too far...  etc).  Also, the one time you said something (and not even for a violation), you told him to "beat it"?  WTH...  maybe the change needs to start with you?

gheart008

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 09:48:05 AM »

What time of day are you guys going?  I've fished Lafarge many times a full week after a fresh stocking and have never had problems landing my limit within an hour.  I go early morning though, on the lake no later than 5:45.  The fishing is hot in the morning, and I definitely notice a slow down by 8:30ish which is when I usually take off.

I'll probably go again this weekend, and I highly doubt that it's all fished out already since it's only been a week since the last stocking.

And Britguy:  I too agree that your comment about the people along the shore line all being non english speakers was uncalled for... 

Just a question: Do you actually keep an eye on the guys from shore while you're in your tube?  I can never do that since I'm always concentrated on the fishing and I hardly notice the guys on the shore unless a commotion is made when they hook into a fish, but that itself doesn't happen that much from what I can see.  From experience, casting from shore just doesn't produce as much as being on the lake itself so I'm not sure you can blame the people from the shore for fishing out the lake since that would take a really long time.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 09:53:28 AM by gheart008 »

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 04:59:25 PM »

And Britguy:  I too agree that your comment about the people along the shore line all being non english speakers was uncalled for... 

Just a question: Do you actually keep an eye on the guys from shore while you're in your tube?  I can never do that since I'm always concentrated on the fishing and I hardly notice the guys on the shore unless a commotion is made when they hook into a fish, but that itself doesn't happen that much from what I can see.  From experience, casting from shore just doesn't produce as much as being on the lake itself so I'm not sure you can blame the people from the shore for fishing out the lake since that would take a really long time.

I dont see anything really wrong with britguy's comment because its true. theres nothing false about it. its not like he said non-english fisherman, he said non-english "poachers".

it's not very hard to notice people fishing with 2 rods, or double and triple dipping from a tube.

I usually just cast a fly from shore so I can watch these poachers and confront them. besides, fly fishing from shore is way better than going in a tube anyday on that lake.

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 05:50:49 PM »

Fished out with people double and triple dipping ?

This has to be stopped
whats the point in stocking a lake to encourage inner city fishing when all you get is a bunch of non English speaking(when you try to talk to them) poachers saying no understand
OK some of you might say call the fisheries, Co's what ever but has anyone ever seen them come out following a call(and yes i have called them)

Its poacher but english speaking people also do poach

so yeah when you make comments think first since you are old enough

but yeah the poaching should be stopped
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 05:52:22 PM by testo84 »
hardware == fish

steeleagle

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 06:54:22 PM »

Why not go fish a real lake in the mountains, and not some little fish pond in the city. That's what the whole experience of fly fishing is about "Solitude". That lake should be made into a under 12 lake for kids to fish not grown men who abuse it.
That's my two cents

fintail1

• got milt?
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 08:02:15 PM »

I'd agree with steeleagle's two cents there, Fly fishing is about going to a place you wouldn't usually go and get AWAY from the city and your job etc. and just relax and breath some fresh air. who cares if poachers are basically stealing ffsbc's fish which they raised and put so much time into making the fishery happen, they dont seem to care about people wasting there time by stealing fish that shiould be being aught by kids andpeople who should be learning how to fish/ flyfish
Fishing is one jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 09:49:29 PM »

Why not go fish a real lake in the mountains, and not some little fish pond in the city. That's what the whole experience of fly fishing is about "Solitude". That lake should be made into a under 12 lake for kids to fish not grown men who abuse it.
That's my two cents

WHAT!!! LAFARGE LAKE ISNT REAL??!?!?! What is it? Plastic???

I think you guys should stop saying these stupid remarks on saying what real fishing is. Oh, its in coquitlam, its not a real lake. Steeleagle, define a "REAL" lake for me. Fishing is fishing. No matter who, what, where, when, and why, fishing is fishing.

It's funny, because I bet you have just about 0 knowledge of the lake whatsoever. I fish the lake just about every day, because I live less then a minutes walk away. I slip on my waders, grab the fly rod, and hit the lake. I find it relaxing, enjoying, and there is just as much solitude as an alpine lake on most days. There are fish, and nice fish too. By nice fish, I dont mean big fat ugly broods, but the blackwaters they put it make it even more enjoyable.

Personally, I think an age restriction on any body of water is just ludacris, because it doesnt let people enjoy new experiences.

No matter what you say, poaching could go on at any lake, river, ocean, or stream, and we will not even realize it. I have been in some very prestine wilderness in the middle of nowhere and seen poaching going on. It can happen anywhere.

CC

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 09:57:02 PM »

I don't think they fly poach as much as power-bait poach. Here in Surrey at Green Timbers you have six-pack Willy the unofficial guardian. Who hones in with drunken verbal abuse on anyone with an accent as he slowly cleans out the fish from the lake. I guess if calling a CO isn't good enough go somewhere else less frustrating or get yours before someone else does. I fished Lafarge gravel pit way back and things haven't changed there since they started stocking it. There was always someone there for the long hall catching those tiny bland fish. I guess they should have a catch and release period so that others can get to catch some before they all get taken. Your looking at meat fishers not anglers so don't be surprised. I really don't see anything wrong with taking your limit. Thats why they stock the lake.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?