Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lafarge poachers  (Read 10839 times)

Britguy

• Old Timer
Re: lafarge poachers
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 10:11:51 PM »

ok guys my comments were on what i seen and heard (if i offended anyone i apologize)

The reason i mentioned non English speaking was simply thats what i was up against when i asked the same two guys i seen the week prior how many fish they had ( i watched them bag four each)
When i get a reply of no English no English what else can i say

And the guy i told to beat it could not understand me untill i gave a go away guesture with my hands
And yes there was a violation (he had 4 fish) once you have your limit no more fishing

Maybe its me that is not speaking English (i do have an accent)

We have an age restriction lake near by(Como) we dont need two close by

And fly fishing is fly fishing no matter where you are

Once again i am not trying to offend anyone just commenting on a problem

steeleagle

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 10:15:18 PM »

Well Cody it's a man mad lake for starters, which would not make this a natural or real lake, so that pretty much solves that one right there. That's mot to say all man made lakes are not good, just most. Your right, the only knowledge I have on this lake is what I've read and heard, so if that doesn't count as knowledge guess I'm guilty. I'm sorry but when there's towers around and you can hear the city bus going by, ohh there's goes the firetruck, this is what makes it not even close to any alpine lake, when you scurry to your truck from the lake shore because theres a bear 20 feet from you and she looks angry you know that your a little more in the woods then just lafarge. As for the age restriction it's probably a good idea, I think surrey lake has one or is it green timbers? That's what these lakes should be used for, but if your going to catch those sad looking trout then and EAT them 2, I say Have At HER!! There's two many people going to the hard to get to lakes now anyways so I recommend doing what your doing so there's more lunkers for me to catch and release in those indescribable alpine lakes that I visit on a regular basis.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 10:37:08 PM »

Well Cody it's a man mad lake for starters, which would not make this a natural or real lake, so that pretty much solves that one right there. That's mot to say all man made lakes are not good, just most. Your right, the only knowledge I have on this lake is what I've read and heard, so if that doesn't count as knowledge guess I'm guilty. I'm sorry but when there's towers around and you can hear the city bus going by, ohh there's goes the firetruck, this is what makes it not even close to any alpine lake, when you scurry to your truck from the lake shore because theres a bear 20 feet from you and she looks angry you know that your a little more in the woods then just lafarge. As for the age restriction it's probably a good idea, I think surrey lake has one or is it green timbers? That's what these lakes should be used for, but if your going to catch those sad looking trout then and EAT them 2, I say Have At HER!! There's two many people going to the hard to get to lakes now anyways so I recommend doing what your doing so there's more lunkers for me to catch and release in those indescribable alpine lakes that I visit on a regular basis.

I have seen 3 bears this year right across the road from lafarge.

I live in one of those towers and there is little to no noise heard. Besides, you rarely here the firetrucks anyways because it's Coquitlam and they rarely get calls. The only things you hear are the fish jumping, and the ospreys and bald eagles making noise.

I do not believe there should be an age restriction on any lake as I think it is unfair and discrimentory. I think it is neat when I  get up in the morning, go fish, and see the familys fishing there.

No matter which way you put it, man made or not, it is still a real lake. I think its pretty hard to have a fake lake ;)

Oh, and like Britguy said, "fly fishing is fly fishing, not matter where you are"

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 10:50:23 PM »

I don't have a problem with an age restriction. People over 65 are not as mobile as they once were in their youth.

steeleagle

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 10:54:20 PM »

They get a lot of calls at that Fire department, I know this because I've been dating the fire chiefs daughter for 2 years.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 11:35:41 PM »

And yes there was a violation (he had 4 fish) once you have your limit no more fishing

Actually, it is my understanding that even though you may have caught and retained your limit of trout in that lake, you may continue to fish catch and release.

Although, not all people follow that and end up keeping more than 4, or misshandle those that they "throw" back...
I don't fish Lafarge that often, but when i do i often see people violating the rules, not being respectful and keeping fish that i would consider too small to keep, like a 6" trout (yes i know there is no size restriction in that lake, its just my opinion that it isn't right).

fyrslyer

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2008, 09:28:34 AM »

They get a lot of calls at that Fire department, I know this because I've been dating the fire chiefs daughter for 2 years.

6000 calls a year in coquitlam probably 2000 of them from that station

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2008, 11:00:15 AM »

When to Lafarge this morning and once again no bites .There were 4 float tubers on the lake and didn't see any of them catch anything . I was there at 6:15 and tried everything in the tackle box . Ussualy after a stoking there would be lots of raisers ,not today . My question is where have all the fish gone ? On the bright side a beautiful otter surfaced within 5 feet from me .

Hook Set

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2008, 11:51:27 AM »

Why not go fish a real lake in the mountains, and not some little fish pond in the city. That's what the whole experience of fly fishing is about "Solitude". That lake should be made into a under 12 lake for kids to fish not grown men who abuse it.
That's my two cents

The problem I see with that comment is that not everyone can just "go fish a real lake in the mountains." Many people cannot get time off work or get away from their families or other things. So to say it should be turned into a 12 and under lake just because of stories you've heard without any real knowledge is wrong. This lake is the only place many people can get to on any kind of a regular basis. The nice alpine lakes are a long way for some people and thats why they turn to lakes like these.  And like someone else has mentioned there is already a lake with an age restriction in Coquitlam (Como Lake) so to put 2 age restriction lakes in the same town would just be too much.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2008, 02:53:24 PM »

Here are some clarifications and commentaries before other participants wade into the discussion, which often heats up as expected when the racial/cultural factor is included.

Daily quota
The daily quota of trout in Region 2 Lakes, unless otherwise stated, is four. The four fish you keep can be of any size, regardless of wild or hatchery fish, and only one maybe over 50cm long. Unlike the steelhead fishery, once you have caught your limit of four fish, you can continue fishing as long as all fish are released. What Britguy was referring to is that people continue to keep fish for other people after keeping four fish for him or herself. Even though he or she maybe catching other anglers' quotas, or giving fish to unlicensed by-standers, this is considered as poaching.

Age restriction/put and take lakes
Lower Mainland lakes are primarily not productive so there are no viable resident trout population in most of them. If they do, most of the fish are small. Fishing pressure is directly correlated to population. The closer a system is to an urbanized area, the more heavily it is fished. Urbanized area also has the largest non-fishing populations. The objectives of put and take lakes are to increase angling participation, create viable fishing opportunities for those who are unable to travel due to budget constraint. Not all anglers are fortunate enough to spend several hundred dollars per weekend on travel and accommodation to remote lakes for better trout fishing, not to mention the initial purchase a boat and its accessories. Depending on the skill level, anglers find different enjoyment when it comes to fishing. Some only finds enjoyment when solitude is achieved, while others are satified enough to connect with small rainbow trout as long as success rate is high. Many anglers progress as their angling experience increases, moving from put and take lakes to trophy lakes. Some choose to fish at put and take lakes for the rest of their lives, but that would be their choices, not for you to judge whether they should be doing so or not.

Age restriction may not necessarily prevent poaching, as it is often observed at Como Lake too. Those who oppose of age restriction do not want their angling opportunities taken away, which is understandable because the location of many put and take lakes makes them fantastic get-aways after work on weekdays. What might be more sounding changes are perhaps a reduction of daily quota, or granting of trout retention exclusively to anglers under the age of 16.

Significance of poaching at put and take lakes
Poaching at either a put and take lake, at a wild steelhead stream, or a trophy interior lake all fall into one category. Regulations are being broken and should be reported. Some see poaching at put and take lakes as a victimless crime, because they are simply stocked fish and no endangered species are being threatened. What people should be aware of that each fish illegally taken out equates to your license money being stolen. The Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC operates five trout hatcheries across this province. Money used to raise these trout come from your license money, therefore poachers are indirectly stealing from you. As mentioned in an earlier post, violations that are regularly reported will generate attention from enforcement. Poachers may temporarily gain, but in the long run they are caught if actions continue.

Non-English speaking anglers
Like some of the previous posts on fishing forums, Britguy's reference of non-English speaking poachers unintentionally generalizes all anglers in ethnic minorities as poachers. It may not have been intended, but that is usually how it is interpreted. As an individual coming from an Asian background, it does not offend me for two reasons. I've seen the same innocent remark too many times when monitoring the forum and Britguy's comment does hold some truth. I think some may have interpreted the non-English speaking poacher remark as an unwillingness to share Canada's natural resource with other ethnic groups, which I don't think (or at least hope not) it was meant that way.

Since I am still quite connected with my Asian background, I can relate to Britguy's frustration. The social stigma of poaching mostly does not exist in the Asian community. It simply isn't identified as a crime. How this comes about can be traced back to how the government operates in most Asian countries, which is a whole other in-depth discussion.

Without moderating anyone's post, I wish to see people focusing on the problem instead of creating a racial boundary based on how they interpreted one remark.

Ideas, solutions, changes for the better
The problem is identified here and you have the opportunities to create solutions because it is not going away. The Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC is not only creating angling opportunities and increasing angling participation, but it is constantly working on developing a positive future in this community. New ideas are always wanted so all options are put on the table. The benefit of an internet discussion forum is that brainstorming can easily be done since everyone has an opinion. Unfortunately, at this point the negativity outweighs this benefit. Individuals can contribute by being critical and constructive. When opinions turn from critical to negative, the discussion sidetracks and eventually loses its momentum, as we are seeing here. Good ideas suggested on the discussion forum are also lost in the archive most of the time. This can easily be reversed since I have the contacts to get the wheels turning.

There are several young participants who regularly fishes Lafarge Lake in this discussion. This is your fishery to improve if you wish to, so start putting forward ideas on what you would like to see. Perhaps more signages in different languages are needed. Perhaps pamphlets for new anglers can be distributed via the shop where Cody works. Perhaps in addition to reporting the violation, people can post it in this thread so over time there is a number that we can refer to. Perhaps everyone should be carrying a small notebook so violations are written down and compared with others so regular violators are identified.

This is your lake to enjoy. Make a difference.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2008, 02:57:10 PM »

My mom does all the recruitments for the city of coquitlam firefighters, as well as my dad is a firefighter.

steeleagle

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2008, 03:11:06 PM »

Well I guess my girls dad is your dads boss then... :P

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2008, 04:24:10 PM »

my dad works for vancouver

salmon river

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 05:09:32 PM »

I think these urban Ponds/Lakes are great.

I remember in my youth 14-22 before I got my first car I used to pack my pack sack with lunch and gear on the weekends take my rod and hop on the bus and go to Deer lake in Burnaby, trout in Vancouver, and Lafarge. (plus the brunette, serpentine and Nicomekl  rivers)

I used to get my maps out and transit map out and plan how I would get to a certain lake, it was like an 'adventure' every weekend and something to look forward to. Of course back then before skytrain and improved transit it used to take 90-120 minutes depending on bus connections to get to lafarge from Surrey, but I did not care i just wanted to fish.  :) Hell I even bussed it to Debouville slough once and then walked to where it hit the Pitt and fished there. man that was a long day but I enjoyed it.

I did go to Brownsville on my bike a fair bit even after school but going to try these Urban ponds on the weekends was great. It sure beat playing video games.

Back then Lafarge was still the 'sticks' and not much past Coquitlam centre and no development at the time but it was recently made and I used to have a great time. Many people can not afford cars either.

I know some people look down on these urban lakes but when you love fishing you are just happy to be out doing it. I had a great time at these lakes and met many nice people. But if some 'elitist' does not think they are worthy of fishing, that is fine by me as less pressure on them etc

As for age restriction, even though it does not effect me at the moment as I am on disability and have the disability license so I am allowed to fish them I do not think anymore are needed. As I said not everyone can afford cars to go to the Valley or towards Squamish etc  Plus nowadays compared to the early 80's transit is better and getting to these urban lakes are easier.

Hopefully within a year I can get back to work but I will still be bussing it and will still be able to enjoy these local urban lakes.

Now that I am bussing it again it is great there are lakes like Lafarge, Como, Trout, sloughs in Ladner etc i can get to via transit and I am sure others feel the same.  I just wish there were a couple more Urban ponds/lakes around.  ;)

Not to mention for people that have cars or live close to them it is great to go out for a couple hours after work or on the weekend if you do not want to travel, especially with rising gas prices.

Fishing is fishing.

As for poaching it happens everywhere some places more than others. I remember 7 or 8 years ago ice fishing at Walloper lake some guy was poaching and keeping even 6" fish and he must of caught 30 +, a couple of us phoned in the info and vehicle description but I never heard back so i dunno if anything was done. (Yes there were 'millions of 8"-10" trout in there but still does not make it right)

The thing is there are limits for a reason and poaching is poaching whether it is the Fraser river or in an Urban put and take lake like Lafarge lake.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 05:21:47 PM by salmon river »

fossil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2008, 06:33:30 PM »

for some English speakers: All non-English speakers looks like a same guy... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D