Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Merritt June 7 - 9  (Read 1491 times)

SNapz

Merritt June 7 - 9
« on: June 09, 2008, 10:56:54 PM »

Well it was the first trout trip of the year and it turned out to be pretty good. Drove up on Friday night and arrived at Mamit Lake around 9PM. Got the boat in the water and ready for Saturday morning. Was up bright and early but the fishing didn't start to get good until around 11 or 12. Started out trolling red and black leech patterns and they worked very well. In our group of 2 boats we must have had on about 50 - 60 fish on both Saturday and Sunday. The other boats anchoring and casting were also doing very well. The wind wasn't cooperating too much but and throughout the day it was quite choppy. The largest fish was probably about 3 lbs with quite a few in the 1lb range but they were very scrappy fish.

We loaded the boats up on Sunday night and headed over to Nicola Lake to fish it today. Again the fishing was good but for some reason all the fish we were getting were in the 6 - 10 inch range. I remember we had tried it last year and the fish were also small. The year before though we caught some good sized fish in there. Until about 11 or 12 today the water was flat calm and then a huge wind hit with some good sized white caps.

Driving back into Vancouver tonight was a bit of an adventure just after hope as the rain was coming down extremely bad making large pools of water on the road. At one point thee was a tree blocking 1 lane on the highway and numerous branches all over the place.

It was a good first trip to the season and I am looking forward to heading back up on Friday night.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Merritt June 7 - 9
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 12:31:57 AM »

Well it was the first trout trip of the year and it turned out to be pretty good. Drove up on Friday night and arrived at Mamit Lake around 9PM. Got the boat in the water and ready for Saturday morning. Was up bright and early but the fishing didn't start to get good until around 11 or 12. Started out trolling red and black leech patterns and they worked very well. In our group of 2 boats we must have had on about 50 - 60 fish on both Saturday and Sunday. The other boats anchoring and casting were also doing very well. The wind wasn't cooperating too much but and throughout the day it was quite choppy. The largest fish was probably about 3 lbs with quite a few in the 1lb range but they were very scrappy fish.

We loaded the boats up on Sunday night and headed over to Nicola Lake to fish it today. Again the fishing was good but for some reason all the fish we were getting were in the 6 - 10 inch range. I remember we had tried it last year and the fish were also small. The year before though we caught some good sized fish in there. Until about 11 or 12 today the water was flat calm and then a huge wind hit with some good sized white caps.

Driving back into Vancouver tonight was a bit of an adventure just after hope as the rain was coming down extremely bad making large pools of water on the road. At one point thee was a tree blocking 1 lane on the highway and numerous branches all over the place.

It was a good first trip to the season and I am looking forward to heading back up on Friday night.
Well done but you owe Rodney, Nick and I a coffee for giving you the tip where to go. ;D ;D ;D

SNapz

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 08:02:28 PM »

Definitely a good tip.  :) I've actually been going to Mamit Lake at least once the past 4 - 5 years. They sure fight good for their size and there's always the chance to hook into a good sized fish there.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 11:10:03 PM »

Definitely a good tip.  :) I've actually been going to Mamit Lake at least once the past 4 - 5 years. They sure fight good for their size and there's always the chance to hook into a good sized fish there.
Darn, I was hoping for a coffee. :(

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 11:42:48 PM »

I was up at mamit today. Weather definetely did not cooperate. Rained the whole time and got pretty windy!! Managed a few fish though....nothing hatching and hardly any jumpers!
weeeeeeeeeow!