Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rice Lake - June 15, 2008  (Read 1045 times)

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
Rice Lake - June 15, 2008
« on: June 15, 2008, 10:13:16 PM »

I went to Rice Lake today and I arrive at the Lake at about 1:30 pm. There was a huge crowd of people because of the BC Family Fishing Weekend.  When I arrive at the lake, I started my fishing adventure at the dock and I casted my orange/chartruese Gibbs Silvex size #0 spinner and after about 30 min. I had no luck. It attracted no fish and I believe I just had a very light bite. Then I went into my tackle box and I changed my lure to a Blue Fox Super Vibrax spinner #2 in Sliver. After about several cast, a trout was following my lure. After a few more cast, I had a bite, but it didn't hook up.  About 40 more cast with the Vibrax, I only made 2 hookups, but I didn't land any fish.

I changed my lure to a size #1 Blue Fox Minnow Spin in copper. I changed locations and I started fishing in the floating dock section, but this time I casted towards shore. After my second cast, I saw a few trout following my lure. After my 5th cast, I had a hook up but the trout spat it out.  In my mind, I just wished I sharpened my hooks for my lures. My hook sharpener was at home.  After about 1 hour fishing the area with the minnow spin, I had countless hook ups, but the trout just spat out my lure. 

I truly believe things would have worked out better if I had even smaller lures, much lighter line 2-4 lb test. I was using 6 lb test and much sharper hooks! Also, I need a newer and better reel. I wasn't using my anti-reverse when I was reeling my lures because the crappy Zebco spinning reel makes a click click click sound when you reel it in with anti-reverse on. I think that's another reason why I lost all those fish during hookup. I never had a opportunity to set the hook properly.

On a another note, some kid hooked my pants. Luckily, it was my pants and not my ears, head, or face. 

All in all, it was a tough day fishing for most people. I saw only two people land fish and I believe they used bait.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 10:28:57 PM by Long_Cast »