Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Chilliwack Vedder Update  (Read 28285 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: New Chilliwack Vedder Update
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2008, 10:42:16 PM »

on a side note, I have bottom bounced as you say for certain types of fish, and I see no negativity in it as long as it is done properly. Other places in the world call that method "drifting' if i'm not mistaken. 3 foot leaders I assume is okay depending on depth of water and clarity etc. Now I'm certainly not preaching what we do on the fraser is acceptable (10 feet leaders) on a river such as the vedder, but if done correctly can and is very effective. Just my two sense, not trying to start or imply anything  :) Will hit the river tomorrow and give you an update. Cheers to all

This is true, they do alot of "bottom bouncing" or "drifting" (as the call it down in the US) for Steelhead in many of the rivers that are in the states. There is nothing wrong with it as long as you keep your leader short (1-3 feet max). This can be an effective strategy and I have been told its good for Red springs on the Vedder too when they are down in the deep holes, as its hard to get a float-fishing setup down that deep. I do agree however that if you run into a good hole, dont post (at least the area anyways), just tell a few friend you know won't screw you over.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2008, 07:47:30 AM »

the people im talking about are well known to the majority of good ettiquette fishers on here,    when the fish(springs) get holed up can be some of the BEST fishing of the year , then these idiots come out and well.....   youll see at the limit hole in about 3-4weeks,   dark red cherries litter the beach,  i urge all to witness this abortion and let them know these fish bite, especially the 12 ft leader/3 ouncers.  Youll recognize some of these people as there perennials

I wish they would just close this area all together. This is the last possible area where they fish are able to stage before heading into the hatchery or further up river. During low water they get trapped until the next rain fall and the idiots take advantage of this and snag away. Was there watching once and it made me sick. The CO's should just park their butts there and they would make alot of money. In fact if they put one there and one at Keith wilson bridge they could make enough money to fund more officers to cover the rest of the river.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

nosey

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2008, 08:22:44 AM »

C'mon I did check this thread to see if the Chilliwack system was fishable yet (fishable as in the fish can see the bait well enough to make a conscious decision and proceed to take it in their mouth as if to feed). Let's just start a no holds barred snagging thread somewhere else in the forum and leave this one to water conditions.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2008, 10:55:11 AM »

C'mon I did check this thread to see if the Chilliwack system was fishable yet (fishable as in the fish can see the bait well enough to make a conscious decision and proceed to take it in their mouth as if to feed). Let's just start a no holds barred snagging thread somewhere else in the forum and leave this one to water conditions.
Yes I aggree and visibility is about 12 inches this morning, spotted some nice water too with the dropping river levels. I am not sure if the hot weather coming again it will rise once again

In all respect I think the flossing issue as been discussed so much in the last few years and I was one of the main contributors in the discussion. I now feel it could be left alone here as FOC and MOE is well aware of the problems through a series of meetings and discussions. It is now in their court to deal with it but of course only my thoughts but please, if some wish to discuss it do it on another thread. I may annoy a few with this comment but I guess I can live with it. Anyway I am going fishing and to get on topic there is some nice water starting to shape up 5 minutes from my house. ;D ;D ;D

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2008, 12:05:16 PM »

Yes I aggree and visibility is about 12 inches this morning, spotted some nice water too with the dropping river levels. I am not sure if the hot weather coming again it will rise once again

In all respect I think the flossing issue as been discussed so much in the last few years and I was one of the main contributors in the discussion. I now feel it could be left alone here as FOC and MOE is well aware of the problems through a series of meetings and discussions. It is now in their court to deal with it but of course only my thoughts but please, if some wish to discuss it do it on another thread. I may annoy a few with this comment but I guess I can live with it. Anyway I am going fishing and to get on topic there is some nice water starting to shape up 5 minutes from my house. ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Chris. I am hoping that the water levels do not rise as I want to take my almost 7 year old out with his fly rod. He has tied up some nice flies that he wants to try out. In fact he ties pretty well and I hope he gets one or 2.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2008, 03:50:59 PM »

Maybe I better trade in the Leaf Mobile and grow a beard. ;D ;D ;D

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2008, 04:17:20 PM »

Get a Hippie van :) Flowing robes, incense, fish chant in the lotus position. Might start a whole new movement.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2008, 04:40:01 PM »

We can still find you with that Leaf hat.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2008, 05:28:41 PM »

Get a Hippie van :) Flowing robes, incense, fish chant in the lotus position. Might start a whole new movement.
;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2008, 05:30:23 PM »

We can still find you with that Leaf hat.
What if I wore it backwards as it would sort of fit in with trouthbreath's idea. ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2008, 10:28:29 PM »

River looking good. About 1-2 feet of visibility at Peach/Lickman Road. Holes starting to appear but many are unreachable because water is still slightly too high. Should be good sometime next week, but worth a shot if your really itching to get out. Also has come down around a foot since last Friday. Whole river has changed, Peach road had the main flowing on pretty much the opposite side of the river now, and about half way to Lickman the river splits forming 2 big and deep main channels. So make an intersting year as far as finding new spots  ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2008, 09:52:15 AM »

Visibility improving in the Lower river but needs to get better for my liking. No reports of chinooks to my knowledge, none in the hatchery.

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2008, 10:35:41 AM »

The Master got one yesterday, on roe. No love for me.
The mid-river looked pretty good, with 3ft. of vis. Lots of sockeye surfacing. Lots of smolts.
Please ensure that you do not target sockeye.

fish_on

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2008, 02:57:29 PM »

So not to target the sockeye...what terminal gears work for the red meat springs?

Tx.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2008, 04:52:52 PM »

I hooked 2 yesterday and missed on one more... Snapped both off, both jumped, one was about 15 pnds, other was about 20. Also had one attack my float. Heard of around 4 other fish in last 3 days. Saw 6 Big boys surface and around 15 sockeye, found the holding water  ;D ;D  Water is perfect for me... some nice holes starting to show  ;)

Tight Lines  ;)
Dan

PS. 1st spring was hooked on prawn (so was the missed one), 2nd Spring was reb/balc wool combo. Good luck!