Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Chilliwack Vedder Update  (Read 28295 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: New Chilliwack Vedder Update
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2008, 09:32:18 AM »

Visibility about 5 inches in the Lower today.

Morty

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2008, 10:09:41 AM »

I appreciate your heart for sharing Chris.

With the big change in the waters this year God seems to be up to something new in protecting His rivers and fish.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2008, 11:14:44 AM »

I thought that was DFO's job?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2008, 12:44:59 PM »

I thought that was DFO's job?

God got tired of DFO's ineptitude at managing and protecting our fisheries, so He took the matter in His own hands.  ;)

This extremely high water levels in most rivers should be good news for the salmon. May many of trhem get thorugh, spawn and prosper. :)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2008, 01:10:16 PM »

Actually have been giving it a little more thought and the high waters are more likely related to leprechauns trying to increase rainbow production.  More rain = more rainbows....the higher water levels are just a byproduct.

Morty

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2008, 08:02:06 PM »

Then it's a good thing God made those leprechauns.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2008, 08:06:02 PM »

LOL  :D  good one !!!!

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2008, 10:17:57 PM »

every day  ::)targeting springs on the fly rod with 4 pound test? sound like another tale to me. the river is far to high to fly fish or gear fish no matter where you were! if you want a steelhead smolt thread just start it already!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2008, 12:27:58 AM »

every day  ::)targeting springs on the fly rod with 4 pound test? sound like another tale to me. the river is far to high to fly fish or gear fish no matter where you were! if you want a steelhead smolt thread just start it already!

First of all I wasnt fishing the 4 pound test (that would be why I put the rolling eyes after I said it snapped his test).... my friend was and yes he wanted to catch some smolts, he hooked the sockeye by accident. I was running 10 pound test and missed my only hit (and yes I was going for jacks). On July 4th (Friday) I went out again, same spot, and missed another hit on the fly rod, this time with a black streamer patter (And yes I have a spot that is very fishable, because I live on the river and can find fishable spots). I wouldnt reccomend giving advice (to me) when I fished the Ved 3 days in a row, and saw a lot jumping (sockeye, some spring jacks) where I was, and even had some success (sockeye probably). I've been camping at Cultus Lake since last night and it was pouring down rain up there from 8 o clock on. I'de expect it to be coming down this way and if it does, the amount of rain that was coming down will probably boost the river at least another 2 inches. Was starting to look better on Friday but Im assuming it will be up again tomorrow.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2008, 06:54:42 AM »

Keep up the good work Everyday.Most of us appreciate good info.
Riverman

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2008, 07:12:23 AM »

Coming down through Hope last night never saw such heavy rain. not sure how it effected the Vedder.

As a side note I was told today a fellow was apprahended by DFO for killing a sockeye on the Vedder yesterday. Observe and Report was involved, so it does work. Remember if you see illegal activity report it and not just complain about it.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2008, 10:18:23 AM »

Coming down through Hope last night never saw such heavy rain. not sure how it effected the Vedder.

As a side note I was told today a fellow was apprahended by DFO for killing a sockeye on the Vedder yesterday. Observe and Report was involved, so it does work. Remember if you see illegal activity report it and not just complain about it.

I heard that too Chris.... I wish people would figure out which type of fish is which instead of just killing everything they catch. I'm pretty happy that guy got caught, but I dont think it will be the last in that area (lots of people are fishing it) as sockeye are jumping everywhere and me and my friend have already had hook-ups with 1. Just make sure you know what it is BEFORE you killl it.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2008, 02:21:46 PM »

Ok another report.....

Lower river is looking much better now with about a 10-12 inches visibility in the lower river. Didn't hit the upper today. It is still quite high but has dropped, River is also dropping now with a vengeance and is looking like it should be fishable very soon, if not already. Saw a bunch of guys targetting Springs already in the main channels today. Didnt see any jumps or rolls from anything today, but from what I understand they normally start becoming active later in the evening. Most people out there right now are using shrimp and roe. LOTS of people targetting the Steelhead smolts, and from what I understand, lots of people are killing them and throwing them in the bushes just as they are leaving, deciding after the fact they are not worth keeping. PLEASE do not do this, if you absolutely decide on killing one, at least keep it and eat it, don't throw it in the bushes......  >:(

On another note... talked to a friend on the river today who has been fishing since the river opened. Apparentally the Sockeye are keening in on shrimp later in the evening. If you are going to be using shrimp for Springs it might be a good idea to switch to a different bait, as these are Chilliwack Lake sockeye (Not Culuts Lake, like so many people think) and still need to travel a long ways. Hooking and playing them puts uneeded pressure on them, expecially if the temps get high again, not to mention there is no retention on them so why even bother.

Cheers, Good Luck  ;)
Dan

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2008, 04:23:39 PM »

not to mention there is no retention on them so why even bother.

for the thrill of a good fight? fishing has never been about retention for me personally. they fight extremely hard for there size and as long as they stay in the water they should be ok.

lots of jiggers out on the river... walked by 2 guys bouncing with 3 foot leaders... nice. no surprise though, red springs on the vedder can be picky and lining has become all to common.

Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

goodoldays

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2008, 10:28:33 PM »

on a side note, I have bottom bounced as you say for certain types of fish, and I see no negativity in it as long as it is done properly. Other places in the world call that method "drifting' if i'm not mistaken. 3 foot leaders I assume is okay depending on depth of water and clarity etc. Now I'm certainly not preaching what we do on the fraser is acceptable (10 feet leaders) on a river such as the vedder, but if done correctly can and is very effective. Just my two sense, not trying to start or imply anything  :) Will hit the river tomorrow and give you an update. Cheers to all