Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Chilliwack Vedder Update  (Read 28268 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: New Chilliwack Vedder Update
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2008, 10:26:27 PM »

3 feet in lower, didnt fish upper. A friend landed a big sockeye on roe and I lost a fish on wool. All in 2 hours, also saw ALOT of springs jump today, probably around 10 in the time we were out. Still a lot of sockeye around too.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2008, 11:25:53 PM »

Whats the retention on the reds in the vedder? Obviously no retention on the sockeye.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2008, 11:08:53 AM »

what is the clarity on the upper, have any moved in up top?
Fish killer 101

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2008, 11:15:05 AM »

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Freshwater/region2_e.htm

So if i'm reading this correctly, assuming there are no in season changes (which i couldn't find), then the retention is

4 per day, only 1 can be over 62cm.

correct?

the reason i ask is it just seems a lot to me... especially since there's a size restriction, lower limit on the fraser.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2008, 11:43:43 AM »

That's my interpretation as well.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2008, 12:18:01 PM »

Wow....4 per day....very optimistic on the part of DFO.  It is a 10 fish yearly limit though, that hasn't changed so whether you limit out in 3 days or 5 days out, you still have the 10 fish total.  To that end it doesn't matter so much.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2008, 12:33:21 PM »

So I take it Jacks count as well toward the 10?And Is that 10 in one area then you can go to another area and get another 10? Just curious would never do it ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2008, 12:40:11 PM »

Jacks donnot count towards you 10 fish on the back of your liscence, if its under 62 cm it is fine. Anything over 62 cm has to be recorded. As far as DFO giving a 4 fish limit on the Vedder, it is because this is a strictly kill fishery that was implanted to give a good eating fish on the Vedder. There is no wild run, or at least there isnt suppose to be.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2008, 11:20:48 PM »

Quick new update......

Went out tonight for around 3 hours. Hooked 1 Spring in 15-20 pnd range and 2 sockeye. Was in one spot for an hour and in that time I saw 3 Springs hooked (none landed) and 7 sockeye hooked and 5 landed. Weapon of choice for me was roe (pro-cured red). Others were hooking the sockeye on pink/white wool with a red bead above it. Heard of 6 other springers landed today and another 4 (on top of that) lost. Others were also hooked on roe and silver spoons. Water clarity is really nice in lower, between 3 and 4 feet. Water is dropping fast with lost of slots and pools appearing. Good time to get out. Once again TONS of sockeye rolling and I'de say another 5 Springs for sure, and some others I thought were springs, but not too sure.

Good luck , Tight Lines   ;)
Dan

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2008, 07:27:16 AM »

Wow....4 per day....very optimistic on the part of DFO.  It is a 10 fish yearly limit though, that hasn't changed so whether you limit out in 3 days or 5 days out, you still have the 10 fish total.  To that end it doesn't matter so much.

You can only retain one adult per day on the vedder. An adult chinook on the vedder is one the measures 62cm or bigger. Only adults get recorded on the back of your license and any chinook on the vedder that measures under 62cm is considered a jack and it does not need to be recorded. You can only keep 10 adults per year combined from all fresh water systems.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2008, 11:34:35 AM »

AHh right thanks for correcting.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2008, 08:40:17 PM »

Conditions looked good today when I checked, a few anglers out. I made a few casts at the Boulder Hole before I got restless and moved on. The first week that I have not had fresh fish since the chinooks opened a few weeks ago. Saw a fellow snag a sockeye below the Vedder Bridge. Saw two chinooks that had been taken at the Limit Hole, most people long lining in the fast water there.

Stopped for a visit with the hatchery staff, actually wanted a coffee, no Tims up that way. ;D

Around a dozen chinooks in the channel and 2 to 3 sockeye. One chinook was sporting a red wool tie in its dorsal fin. ::)

Picked a few wild blackberries and saw a bear enjoying the same, I moved on. Got a nice picture of a Junco (snow bird I call them) nest with 4 eggs in it, will check back for another picture, hopefully to catch the little ones after they hatch.

I saw them cutting the brush alone the RW of the Chilliwack River Valley lower down, should they be doing that when birds are still nesting?

Water conditions should remain good this weekend in the Chilliwack Vedder River with the dropping water levels, maybe I can get a fresh fish for the table too. ;D Maybe I should write The Journal too, lots of stories the last month but hard to find the time when doing so much fishing and I said to myself, I need to figure out how to post the pictures first that should help make The Journal more interesting so The Journal may be a little ways away yet. ::) ???

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2008, 08:43:08 PM »

hey chris

i only want to know when was the last time you went to chilliwack lake ?

got some questions :

1. is it a good picnic place ? and is there lots of picnic tables
2. is it busy on the weekend or so so ?

thanks

wenas
hardware == fish

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2008, 09:32:01 PM »

so The Journal may be a little ways away yet. ::) ???

:(

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day