Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sasamat Lake  (Read 10455 times)

ikan boleh

Sasamat Lake
« on: July 03, 2008, 10:14:14 PM »

Has anyone fished Sasamat Lake lately?

cheers.

salmonegg

Re: Sasamat Lake
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 12:24:56 AM »

I just did today. Productivity was 0. I don't know where all the fishes go. It is a big lake. I even hooked up my portable fish radar. Nothing showing up in the bottom. Is there a better period of time in the year to fish in Sasamat lake?

doja

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 07:34:07 AM »

I just did today. Productivity was 0. I don't know where all the fishes go. It is a big lake. I even hooked up my portable fish radar. Nothing showing up in the bottom. Is there a better period of time in the year to fish in Sasamat lake?

After its been stocked, the lower main land lakes get fished out pretty quick.

Try buntzen lake, cooler and more fish.

jimmywits

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 10:52:27 AM »

They stop stocking the Urban lakes in early July, as the water temperature becomes too warm to provide a good environment for releasing fish. Any lake with as much fishing pressure as Sasamat lake will get very depleted in fish stocks in a fairly short amount of time. This period is called the ''summer doldrums'' and the stocking will resume usually in the latter half of September,when water temperatures drop down.The best way to deal with this period is to switch to rivers and streams or go for high elevation lakes as they stay cooler longer. If this is not an option for you, then fish the urban lakes early in the morning and or later in the evening. Also, as the recent cooler temperatures continue this bodes well for the lakes with fish left.
good luck    tight lines!

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 12:37:15 PM »

Try Rice Lake, still lots of huge trout there. It is pretty high in evevation and I have always caught my limit there. Caught one not to long ago and it was about 2.5 pounds. Try a fly, spoon of power bait. Try not to fish off the dock, there is a small island to the right of the dock which you can just walk to (a little wooden walk way connecting to the island). Once you get on the small island, just walk straight until there is a small clearing that can fit about 3 people. Try fishing from that spot with a fly or a spoon.
Good luck.

jon5hill

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 03:40:08 PM »

I went 2 nights ago and caught my limit from the dock in 2 hours. There are some fish around still!

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 04:28:09 PM »

I have never tried sasamat in the evening , is it better deep or near the surface ? Are you using spinners or bait and float ?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 07:57:28 PM »

It's better deep when fish are in the deep. It's better near the surface when fish are near the surface.

Sinaran

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 09:55:53 PM »

almost fished out i would say.  the action was slowing down since June, deep fishing/float fishing, didn't matter, the fish just wouldn't bite.

ikan boleh: anak malaysia
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

jon5hill

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 10:42:40 PM »

Go in the evening from 5pm onwards till you can't see your float.

Use 4-6 lb mainline, and fish 13 feet down with a 3 gram float via float stopper, single 5 or 6 split shot, and about a meter of 3-4 lb leader line. I got 27 fish in June one day this year. It's not so much what you have on your hook, but rather where you put it. Cast on rings, look for swallows that swoop around for insects, the swallows and the trout are in the same trophic level and feed on the same insects. If you see lots of surface activity, fish around 7 feet down. I often catch fish inbetween the 2 floating docks on the bridge casting towards the beach only a few meters in front of me.

see you out there,

jon

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 01:41:16 PM »

Another lake you should also give a try is Lafarge. Not to many trout left but it is just stacked with carp. Three days ago I caught one on my 5wt fly rod which was about 8 pounds on a size 8 black micro leach and another one on a bread fly which was about 5 pounds. They fight so hard, the both took me well into my backing and took me about 20 minutes to land. Alot of fun. :)
Try to throw in bread or corn so you attract them, but usually when you get there there are about 25-30 carp already in-front of you. Start fishing when you see them feeding aggressively. They are mostly on the bottom left hand side of the lake.

Have fun. ;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 01:44:15 PM by BCfisherman97 »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 01:46:19 PM »

Try to throw in bread or corn so you attract them, but usually when you get there there are about 25-30 carp already in-front of you. Start fishing when you see them feeding aggressively.

This practice (chumming) is illegal in BC so please don't do this in the future.

i don't believe any lake can be fished out only if ecologists or biologists told me so, not just couple occasional anglers can't get fish

That is correct. Although heavily used, lakes around here do not get fished out. Fish simply become inactive in the summer therefore fishing is slower. Stock sampling has been done in the past prior to and after fall stockings, they have found a good number of fish stocked in the spring survive through the summer.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 02:12:23 PM »

Sorry Rodney, I was not aware that chumming is illegal. Thanks for letting me know. I won't do this in the future.

Sinaran

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 06:18:05 PM »

i don't believe any lake can be fished out only if ecologists or biologists told me so, not just couple occasional anglers can't get fish
when i mentioned "fished out", i actually meant the stock was very low.  Why would i think every fish in the lake was caught anyways  ;)
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 06:45:46 PM »

For carp you can make a homemade bait just mix some flour and water and add a few drops of vanilla and mix till you can roll balls big enough for your hook.
Take the T out of Morton.