Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Sockeye  (Read 7463 times)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Vedder Sockeye
« on: July 21, 2008, 10:33:06 AM »

Went out to Chilliwack this weekend and saw fish jumping everywhere. Too bad I didn't have a frying pan, just holding it over the river would have caught me some. I used roe to try and catch a spring but no go. For some reason I swithed to spinners and hooked a sockeye believe it or not. After 10 seconds he jumped and spit the hook..
I've been reading on how to catch a sockeye and it seems to me flossing is the only way and every site I read recommends that technique as the best way to catch them.
Now my question is there any other method to catch sockeye other than flossing?
Fly, spoon, spinner, roe, yarn, jumping from helicopters, whatever, anything??

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder Sockeye
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 02:28:58 PM »

As long as there is good visibility, sockeye will take just about everything.
They are aggressive fish.
They will also take the fly.

Flossing is not a sportfishing method, it is a harvesting method, and it can be used for any species.
Catching any fish using the flossing method requires no skill - only a determined number of fish per cubic metre of water.

It's a pity that so many people choose to floss on small systems such as the Vedder/Chilliwack, as it ruins the true fishing experience for everybody around.

bateman

• paintings of fish and nature
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 03:01:26 PM »

i was up there last week and everyone were catching sockeye. i only saw one spring caught.  the river is very beautiful now but there just arent many springs in the water and way too many sockeye.
paintings of fish and nature:
http://www.folkart-levin.com

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 03:46:44 PM »

i was up there last week and everyone were catching sockeye. i only saw one spring caught.  the river is very beautiful now but there just arent many springs in the water and way too many sockeye.

Too many sockeye? Their are never too many sockeye.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Sinaran

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 04:02:59 PM »

I am heading up there tomorrow.  Seems like i have to use heavier gear this time, just in case if i get a sockeye hooked i could land and release it in a quicker fashion.
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 04:13:28 PM »

Too many sockeye? Their are never too many sockeye.

So hard to please the sporties eh?.....no..tooo many fish!!...oh crap..where are the fishies?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 04:29:24 PM »

Shh not too loud. The next thing you know is that the First Nations will use this as proof that the sockeye runs are healthy and want another commercial opening. ;)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 06:30:26 PM »

They should be open to sport fishing. Maybe flyflossing only. :) One per year, just so we don't have to buy them from the FNs. ::)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 08:11:21 PM »

I laugh at all the long liners fishing the vedder.....they just dont understand! If they "short floated"...they would be into twice as many fish and save themselves 1000$ in gear! For example today I was fishing across from 3 or 4 "long liners"...My first cast short floating a gob of roe..bam spring on...killed..end of day ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 09:52:04 PM »

Yes I know what you mean.... was out for a couple hours and hooked a sockeye short floating with pink wool. There were people crowding around me in the bext 10 mins, all long lining with bouncing betties. They really pissed me off, shoulder to shoulder and not one hooked a fish. I was eventually ignoring all the sockeye hits I was getting, they are quite like trout hits just so every one knows, they are a bunch of little taps and sometimes a pull.

Back on topic, everyone says sockeye don't bite, its a joke, and an excuse for people to keep bottom bouncing alive and well. I have had these fish take blue flies off the top of the water, they love pro cured prawns and roe, and they will take almost every colour of wool ou can think of. Colours they like especially this year include pink and purple, and white sometimes. They will hit spoons too. Right now they seem to be sitting close to the top, hence why so many are jumping. With my polarized glasses, most of them I see are in the mid section of the water, so if you want some fun, put on some pink wool and shrimp sent, set float at 2 feet and cast away  ;)

blueback

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 10:35:52 AM »

Yep they bite all right. I've gotten them on crocs in the Harrison.

Murmillo

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 02:59:24 PM »

Yes, they bite.. I hook two of them with red wool, while short floating.. last Sunday.. I lost one chrome red spring.. just from the shore :(

Swanny

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 07:36:25 PM »

Every Day

Can you explain to me what short floating is and what long lining is? Is it as simple as short leaders vs long leaders??  ???
Thanks.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 07:39:53 PM »

Every Day

Can you explain to me what short floating is and what long lining is? Is it as simple as short leaders vs long leaders??  ???
Thanks.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=7906.msg73635#msg73635

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2003/1003_01.html

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 07:42:21 PM »

8)
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.