Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question for Rodney and/or other experts in fishy matters / Vedder sockeye  (Read 2650 times)

milo

• Old Timer

I was of the belief that all sockeye in the Vedder were of the famous, native and endangered Cultus Run.
This year, however, I have seen and caught a number of healthy looking, aggressive sockeye as far upstream as the Limit Hole.

Are those also Cultus Lake fish - or are we dealing with a new, hatchery introduced strain?

It's nice to see sockeye salmon in good numbers in the Vedder, but I am afraid that they may attract more of the wrong crowd to our pretty mountain jewel.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.

Those fish you seeing now are Chwk. Lake sockeye which are a native stock. Cultus are fall fish and are in trouble.The sockeye in the river now generally migrate thru the Fraser at the same time as the early Stuart sockeye and as such get caught in all the fisheries that are directed at them ( when allowed). This year no or few fisheries todate so more Chilliwack Lake sockeye.

armytruck

• Old Timer

I was on a hike to Greendrop Lake about 16 years ago and at Post Creek the Sockeye were loaded in that stream there It was quite the site to see . I don't know if its the same anymore but it was pretty cool .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....

Those fish you seeing now are Chwk. Lake sockeye which are a native stock. Cultus are fall fish and are in trouble.The sockeye in the river now generally migrate thru the Fraser at the same time as the early Stuart sockeye and as such get caught in all the fisheries that are directed at them ( when allowed). This year no or few fisheries todate so more Chilliwack Lake sockeye.

What he says is what it is. You are seeing the Chilliwack Lake sockeye right now which is a bigger run than the Cultas Lake run.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy

I was on a hike to Greendrop Lake about 16 years ago and at Post Creek the Sockeye were loaded in that stream there It was quite the site to see . I don't know if its the same anymore but it was pretty cool .

Seen the same thing a few times there. Also caught one trolling a tomic plug in Chillwack lake, that was weird.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer

Cultus sockeye are actually already on their way.  They are an "odd" race of salmon in that they will start their migration Julyish and continue to run until November and even later.  They spawn Nov/Dec/Jan on the lake shore in Cultus in areas where groundwater wells up.  They just trickle in with some what of a peak in October.  This is another reason why there are no commercial openings, or at least limited opportunities because the fish have such a long travel window unlike other runs of fish.  Some Cultus fish stray above the entrance of Sweltzer creek and most likely are just following other fish or maybe get lost.