Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sechelt/Gibsons Aug. 3rd.  (Read 2029 times)

Sinaran

Sechelt/Gibsons Aug. 3rd.
« on: August 04, 2008, 02:53:17 PM »

Went up there for a day trip (motels were all full) with friend's family.  We went to Halfmoon Bay to pick a few oysters and dig some clams.  We drove by Trout Lake and saw it loaded with swimmers, no fishermen around (of course).  We arrived at this little bay in between private properties and found the abundance of oysters. :)  We picked like 5 each, took some pictures and left for Davis Bay.  The beach at Davis Bay was spectacular! The gorgeous weather is making it a must-visit for people planning for a short trip. 

The return tickets to Horseshoe bay were reserved for 9:40pm. After dinner at a Thai Restaurant in Gibsons, we had two hours to spare, so we decided to do a little fishing at the pier near Langdale terminal.  That was a nice pier that extended near 80m out, and the water was about 40m deep at the pier at high tide.  We fished bottom with sliced of Anchovies ;) , and right after the bait hit the bottom, the line got tightened up and the rod tip of my ultra light spinmatic was showing true Samba like in the summer Carnival.  :o :o   I pulled it back in (not really a fight) and found an English sole of about 1 1/2 lbs at the end of my line.  Three more casts later we pulled another 3 more of those in decent size.  We stopped fishing only afte a group of elementry school student along with their summer school teachers, started diving and swimming at the pier where the sign of no diving and swimming was shown (good example, teachers  :-\) .  In an hour of fishing we landed a total of 8 Soles (4 released), 2 bullheads (all released) and 2 burbots (released).   Also saw some coho jumping there and we casted spoons to the school but no taker. Heard the return to the Hatchery has been great in recent years.

Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Sinaran

Re: Sechelt/Gibsons Aug. 3rd.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 02:58:37 PM »

continues...   

first photo here was the location where we found abundant of shellfish (oyster, crabs and clams).
the last one was the pier we spent a good 2 hours of fishing at.
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Sinaran

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 03:01:19 PM »

oh, and this one too. it frustrated me a bit to realised that this destination wasn't accessible at the time we were there. 
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 05:41:10 PM »

Burbot or greenling? Burbot are freshwater only

Zach

• Fishing Photo's
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 07:28:34 PM »

Sounds like a fun time! I'm heading up there in a few weeks and looking forward to it! ;D

Sinaran

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 09:40:12 PM »

Burbot or greenling? Burbot are freshwater only
too bad we didn't take pics of the fish.  It has long body like eel and long dorsal fin .  I've caught quite a number of this species up at ambleside pier too.
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Sinaran

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 01:24:38 PM »

I am a local here on the coast and the dock you are talking about is called Hopkins Landing..
 Hope you checked with DFO prior to harvesting shellfish in that area.
 Most of the coastline is closed to harvesting, and within the last few weeks there has been an abundance of pickers enjoying closed areas.
 Not only for conservations sake but for the sake of your own health I advise anyone wanting to pick, to make sure prior to your trip that it is in fact open.

Nice Pics, and a good report! 

Symon
thanks for the head-up, buddy.  We in fact didn't take home any of the shellfish we digged that day, as the only place i would harvest shellfish for consumption is north of vancouver island.  yes i know we shouldn't have digged it anyways, i am feeling bad now.  :-\     
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!