Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lake Fishing  (Read 4712 times)

DAWGMAN

Lake Fishing
« on: September 10, 2008, 05:59:58 AM »

Hi , going to Lac Le Juene in a week and was wondering what would be the fly of choice. I've been told to try waterboatmen, but i  have never fished with them. How would you fish them? In the deep water or the shallow waters. Any info would great , thanks ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: Lake Fishing
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 05:14:54 PM »

My understanding on how to fish waterboatmen is to use a full sinking line.  Give the line quick jerks and pause for a few seconds and continue to do that. I have also been told that if you add some floatant to the flies that it makes them look more realistic.

I would assume that you would fish these flies in typical areas like drop offs or shallow water. The fish are going to start fattening up for the winter months right now so you should be able to get into a few. I would also think that trolling leaches would be affective. Im just starting myself, maybe someone can add something to this  ;)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 07:35:23 PM »

Scuds and Dragon Nymphs.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

DAWGMAN

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 08:05:39 PM »

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me what scuds are and how to fish them. Or maybe a website the can tell some info on them . Thanks again for all your help.

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 08:11:28 PM »

Scuds are freshwater shrimp and one of my favourite ways to fish. Sink tip, full sink, whatever you prefer, I fish mine in 20ft or less usually I'm sight fishing so 10ft or less. I've let them sit in the marl, bounced them off weeds, you can have fun with them. To see how they act next time you go to a lake turn over a few rocks and watch them scatter. Pregnent ones do seem to outfish normal ones, but that may just be my confidence in them.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 04:03:22 PM »

Hi , going to Lac Le Juene in a week and was wondering what would be the fly of choice. I've been told to try waterboatmen, but i  have never fished with them. How would you fish them? In the deep water or the shallow waters. Any info would great , thanks ;D

The most effective way to fish corixia (water boatman) is with a intermediate sink line.  Put a floatant on the leader (9' should be adequate) and even on the fly if it hasn't been tied with a foam body.  When corixia come back to lay their eggs in the fall they land on the water, grab an air bubble, and swim down into the water column.  Floating your leader and the fly mimics this action when using subsurface lines like intermediate or sink tips.  When you retrieve the line with short quick pulls with pauses in between your submerged line pulls the floating fly under the water.  Takes are very aggressive so be careful when setting the hook.  I've fished them in water anywhere from 8-25'.

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 09:43:45 PM »

This has been a strange year, I have not heard much on Boatmen as of yet, but in a normal year this is the best time. I have tried MANY different ways of using boatmen, Floating line, Type I (Slime Line) Type III and Type IV. The most effective method for me has been with a Type I slime line.

The biggest thing I can say is, if you think your retrieve is slow enough, slow it down some more.

Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

e36blue

• It's a dog's life...
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 12:13:43 AM »

I was suggested (and did try) last year to fish with boatmen under an indicator - like a chronie... and sure enough... I had very aggressive takes... to the point that the legs on the fly were destroyed. Give it a try 7 good luck... I'll be heading up to do some lake fishing myself this weekend!

drivel

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 02:14:10 PM »

Brian Jenning's (Little Fort Fly Shop) created an awesome floating Waterboatman pattern.  It's effective, durable and easy to find in most flyshops.

d.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 05:21:03 PM »

Fish the staple food items, as most hatches are done for the year.

>> leeches, scuds, boatmen,...

UFC

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 08:47:22 PM »

Leeches can be very effective at this lake. Small/medium black leeches will do the trick.

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 03:18:13 PM »

Brian Jenning's (Little Fort Fly Shop) created an awesome floating Waterboatman pattern.  It's effective, durable and easy to find in most flyshops.

d.
I second the recommendation on Little Fort's Boatman pattern. It has served me well and is a very effective fly for Lac LeJeune. I would also suggest a shrimp worked on an intermediate sinking line on the shoals and weedbeds...
>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...