Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, September 13th 2008  (Read 2262 times)

jeff

Chilliwack River, September 13th 2008
« on: September 13, 2008, 11:53:07 AM »

was just below the vedder bridge this morning saw some big clean springs jumping one guy landed one but across from me these guys were full blown bottom bouncing and hooking a fish every 5 min but they never landed one they were all snags and this guys kid fell in the water trying to net a fish which he missed the kid was able to swim to shore 10 Min's later the dad was sending the kid back down the rocks with the net again........ bottom bouncing on the vedder come on!!
Enjoying the water..........

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, September 13th 2008
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 03:26:34 PM »

I arrived at one of the spots as usual 15 minutes before dawn.
It was still a bit dark so I took my time.
I head out for this short walk only to find out there are people already there.
We chat for a bit and I move to a different spot.
Visibility was only about 1 foot. (Perfect)
I changed my approach slightly.
From 6-9 I had only one hookup and it was brief.
Then these guys left when the sun hit the river and I moved in.
First 15 minutes nothing. Then the fun started. Sun was already warming me up.
My float was going down almost every cast into this one spot and I couldn't feel the bottom so I was curious to see what it was. Kept casting into the same spot.
Then a good strong hookup and I was glad I put a 15 lb leader on.
I knew it was a fish and it went for a ride down stream. I was confident of my new leader so I didn't give much slack.
After a few minutes I landed this 12 lb, what I thought was a doe. I was really happy thinking I am going to have some new roe. Turned out to be a male  :(
Ok, I write him down and continue.
10 minutes later and have one again. I bring him in, quick measure, gotta go, 67cm.
A bit later again, boom and I am wondering if this is ever going to stop  :) .
Measure and release, again over 62.
Half an hour later I've had enough and I'm sweating in my waders.
The best thing to me was that these 3 fish were all taken on different bait recipes I was experimenting with.

Tight twines!

Sabre

• Bite Me
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 03:30:59 PM »

thanks for the report, nice fish too. what were you using roe?

Thanks

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 04:15:51 PM »

was just below the vedder bridge this morning saw some big clean springs jumping one guy landed one but across from me these guys were full blown bottom bouncing and hooking a fish every 5 min but they never landed one they were all snags and this guys kid fell in the water trying to net a fish which he missed the kid was able to swim to shore 10 Min's later the dad was sending the kid back down the rocks with the net again........ bottom bouncing on the vedder come on!!

Surprised you did'nt switch with them having that much luck  ;D ;D

jeff

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 04:32:51 PM »

ya don't know about it being luck the fish were right against the rocks in the fast water they were just bouncing right through the fish
Enjoying the water..........

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 08:35:26 PM »

Well got my first Coho this season, first trip and first cast ...almost. Had to release it because it was wild. Their there and I was using lures casting from the old birchbark painted Sportspal canoe. Had three more on the line which got off Also caught about 10 pikeminnow :-\ which seem to have infested the area I was fishing. On a bright note and pretty well the highlight of the day was a Seagull took one of the Pikeminnow I carefully released and two other sh*&hawks battled above my head for the trophy. No Seagull dung on me and no skunk stripe down my back. Good luck and hopefully we are going into a great fall season of non stop action. Unfortunately I'm going to Ontario on Tuesday, but that should be killer fishing where I'll be there. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 09:31:59 PM »

Glad you had a good day, Adriaticum.

For me, it was essentially a 240 KM scenic drive from Vancouver to the Vedder and back.
I was hoping to find some fairly clear frog water for coho on the fly, but my favourite haunts are still unfishable due to the clay slide.

I switched to gear hoping that it would change my luck, but it didn't make much of a difference. I had briefly one spring on at a spot I never thought would hold springs. It didn't stay on the hook for too long.

The water conditions are far from what I call decent. The low visibility makes wading treacherous, which I experienced firsthand as I misstepped and went for a little refreshing dunk. ::) The well-fastened wading belt saved me from ruining my day. (plus the day was very warm  ;D).

I had originally planned to fish tomorrow with a good friend of mine, but after thinking about it a little more, we decided to save ourselves 40 bucks in gas and just enjoy a nice Sunday in the city.

I did see a few fish taken in the mid river (one coho and a few springs) - they are there - but frankly, it's not worth another drive to me. I think that the Vedder needs at least another week to turn into my kind of water.

To those who head out tomorrow, good luck, and keep those wading belts tight. The visibility for safe wading is simply not there yet.

Cheers,

Milo

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 09:45:28 PM »

I told every one vis was'nt worth the drive out..... I love the water the way it is right now though, fish are not spooky and just enough vis for them to see it  ;)  By the way water has been like this pretty much all week, the slide is huge, vis wont get too much better than this I am thinking  ::)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 10:00:03 PM »

Yes, you did warn us about poor vis, and I thank you for that, but I just HAD to see it myself.  :D

And I truly hope you are wrong about visibility not getting better, as that would pretty much ruin any serious coho flyfishing opportunities.  :o

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 11:51:22 AM »

Hey Spring, I truly hope that this year the spot produces some coho on the fly.
If you get to see me there, by all means introduce yourself.
It's always nice to put a face to a forum handle. :)

Tight lines,

Milo

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 07:25:37 PM »

Low visibility is exactly the time you want to fish if you are using roe or even yarn.
Fish are not spooked by the sights around them because they can't see far out or up so it gives them comfort and they bite.
Also when something is passing by them they can't see it clearly and they often make a quick decision to take it.
Of course if the passing object smells like roe, they will take it more often than not.
Salmon are guided by scent, especially chinook.

I had a blast again today.
There was a point around 8:30 am when we were cathing one spring after another, all probably over 10 lbs.
No coho though.

The only bad thing about low visibility is exactly what milo pointed out. You can't see the bottom and wading around is risky.
Unless you know the spot and even then one has to remember that the river changes all the time.
I had cold dunk last winter and I learned my lesson ;)