Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, September 22nd 2008  (Read 2888 times)

bluenoser

Chilliwack River, September 22nd 2008
« on: September 22, 2008, 06:11:50 PM »

Hit the Vedder today and caught a 14lb Spring...was the only fish I saw hooked out of several guys fishing in the Wilson Rd area.

Anyway it had a mark on it's back but nothing too noticeable. When I got it home and cleaned it the mark turned out to be a deep puncture wound that nearly went clean through it, caused abit of damage to the meat on the inside. I'd say most likely a talon but who knows.

I've caught salmon before with bite marks from seals but never this type of wound.

Two years ago saw a guy catch a 4ft sturgeon that was missing it's tail which was probably the weirdest thing I've seen.

What's the worst battle scar you've seen on one of your catches?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 06:13:28 PM by bluenoser »

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, September 22nd 2008
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 06:26:08 PM »

caught a deformed trout with it's tail right behind the dorsal. the section of body from the dorsal to tail was missing. also as symon stated, i caught a jack spring with half of its lower jaw missing

silverslab

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 07:10:14 PM »

Not really a battlescar, but a feww years back I did a report on the bell Irving Hatchery on Kanaka creek and while we were there in one of the swirl tanks they use to seperate the week fry I saw a 2 headed one tailed trout. The guy said it probably would live long and definatley wouldnt survive long in the wild, so it was a bit of a rare find. I guess they are prone to birth defects same as other species.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 07:26:34 PM »

A one eyed spring

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 07:27:19 PM »

caught a coho with the front half of his nose cut off
Fish killer 101

jeff

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 08:05:16 PM »

Just got back from wilson road went right from for 2 hours hooked into two fish...................... landed o water looked good saw a few other guys hook fish and not land them as well
Enjoying the water..........

UFC

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 08:11:10 PM »

Jeff.
Was it springs you hooked? The others hook springs as well, or were there any coho in there?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 08:14:18 PM »

A one eyed spring

I guess it is better then a one eyed, one horned giant purple people eater  ;D

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

kodiak

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 08:20:32 PM »

I caught a walleye with a section of gill net that had grown into it's body. Also a few fish with only one eye.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 08:27:29 PM »

What are those goldfish that have there eyes poping out, well I saw a big chinook with the same eyes the size of baseballs.
The Bigger The Better!

Verdi

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 08:43:22 PM »

Two years ago saw a guy catch a 4ft sturgeon that was missing it's tail which was probably the weirdest thing I've seen.

Most likely got caught in a net an instead of taking the time to untangle the fish they just cut the tail off and pull it through the net.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 08:47:24 PM »

I caught a rock cod waring a ling cod jacket ;D

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 08:47:40 PM »

Went out to the vedder after work today with a buddy, he had never fish for salmon before. We'll right away I tell him the fishing should be good after the rainfall we had, just to get his hopes up. He looks around and tells me theres alot of people fishing, and I told him this is quite normal for salmon season. Well we head off to an area that a friend had recommended, and I spent the next 10 mins gearing up his rod, and giving him alittle adive on how to cast, and when to cast while fishing with others. Well I got him all setup, and tell him to just cast out and let it free drift. While im still in the process of setting my rod up, my buddy yells, " I think I got something". I turn around and his rod is bouncing, and I am quite surprised he managed to hook something so fast. As he battles it, I asked him, how he managed to hook the fish so fast, on his first trip to the vedder. He turns and tells me, "I was picking out a rats nest and then a fish grabbed my bait". With alot of guiding he was able to bring the fish in, and just happened to be a 8lb hatchery coho. ;D As beginner luck goes he manages to hook and land another jack. All within an hour and a half period, he said hes coming back wednesday. ;D
The Bigger The Better!

jeff

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 09:38:59 PM »

Pretty sure they were springs i saw fish jumping and they looked lie springs and i one i had one got to the bottom fast and held in the fast water
Enjoying the water..........

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 10:39:37 PM »

Most likely got caught in a net an instead of taking the time to untangle the fish they just cut the tail off and pull it through the net.

Makes sense  ::)
The Bigger The Better!