Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First cohos of 2008 - Vedder Sept 22  (Read 3586 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
First cohos of 2008 - Vedder Sept 22
« on: September 22, 2008, 11:39:57 PM »

Haven't been out fishing for a while.  Friend and I decided last nite to head out to Vedder firstlight today to try our luck for that first coho of the year.  We arrived at the river close to 6:30am in enticipation of REALLY coloured up water condition due to last nite's rainfall, however, it didn't materialize.  What a relief.  Water clarity wasn't super but at 2 ft it's okay.  We came to our first planned stop hiked in and hey, no one's around... nice, fresh run.  By the time we're all setup it's about 7am.  Buddy of my made his first cast, as he watched his float slowly drifting downstream, it made a couple dibs then WHAM...  a spring!!  Well it's the first fish can't leave a bad carma so he played it safe and takes his time (partly due to light weight gear - for coho) finally after numerous runs and a spetacular 3 feet vertical leap.. we landed the beast 20 min later.  We thought this could be a good start for the day/season.  Well our optimism was shutdown with the next 4 hours of NOTHING!! We worked that stretch so well if blind folded we probably won't trip!!!  By now it's noon time, we figure fish might have become tight liped due to the occational sunny breaks.  So instead of 'feeding' though fish in water, we fed ourselves.  Having ourselves recharged, we started working that run again.  Our lucky break came when the brief rainfall came in the early afternoon.  We started to see fish breaking water surface.  Wow this could be it, coho!!!  We made several drift through and YESS... FISH ONN... hey could it be another spring!!! Buddy's float's swimming upriver!!  :o  WOW could that fish jump!! After a short dash up river it leaped over a boulder and holy $*#& a nice sized coho!!!  Okay play it cool, take a deep breathe in... out... oooops... I meant take a deep breathe run with the fish!!!  Hey with that spring as a practice early in the day, my friend quickly had the coho under control.  Though with the early arobatic shows it came in relatively easy.. 1st coho of the day/season in the bag!!   8) :D  Okay back to fishing.  Well, can't let him have all the fun.. about 10~15 min later I finally got a solid hit......

Okay that was a boring fish, no leap no runs just acted dead.. a jacdult spring... Anyone got a pair of scissor it measured to 63cm!!!  What a rip off!!  For that extra 1 cm it took up 1 spot on the license   :-\  Oh heck at least didn't skunk on the first trip.   ::)  We didn't have another hit until after 4pm... buddy float went down and that fish went down stream, after a few runs, friend broght the fish close to shore and boy.. was it a nice size fish!!  I took a grab and  :'( :'( lost the fish for him..   :-[ SIGH...  Alright back to top of the run and next time don't loose the fish again, so I said to myself.  Not long after we reset he got another hit the fish went straight out across the river and started zigzagging back and forth.  Friend kept his cool let the fish tire itself right out.  This is the easiest landing all day long. What a relief..  :o  Decided this is as good as it would get on the first outing, we called it a day.  Weighted the bigger coho of the two at home, it's 12lb.

bravo252

Re: First cohos of 2008 - Vedder Sept 22
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 12:08:48 AM »

Nice!!! ;D

Good to see that they're there!!! :D

Bravo~

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 07:56:50 AM »

Great report BwiBwi. I am glad to here that the coho are starting to show up. Where you guys using roe?

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 08:00:42 AM »

Early in the day we were using roe, afternoon blades.

silverslab

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 08:23:10 AM »

I would give the big one 7-8 lbs maybe 9 at the most but it is definatley not 12 lbs. I recently got a small fish scale so I could weigh fish at the river and I was quite surprised at how far off most people are, most refer to a 5 lb coho as 8 or 9 and and 10 lb coho seems to inflate to about 15, but the scale doesn't lie!  A nice pair none the less.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 02:38:34 PM by silverslab »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 10:08:22 AM »

That is a 12lb coho or surely close to it. It is long and extra wide. What a fat fish. Congrats Chris & your friend. Now there will be a zoo in the river in search of the illusive coho comes weekend, hehe. Good luck to all.  ;D

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 02:09:51 PM »

Sounds like you had a good morning, the hoes are here.
The Bigger The Better!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 03:30:31 PM »

I would give the big one 7-8 lbs maybe 9 at the most but it is definatley not 12 lbs. I recently got a small fish scale so I could weigh fish at the river and I was quite surprised at how far off most people are, most refer to a 5 lb coho as 8 or 9 and and 10 lb coho seems to inflate to about 15, but the scale doesn't lie!

Ha,ha, fish are usually half the weight of what the fishermen claim.
I found this to be true even for me!
:D ;)

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 04:54:22 PM »

who cares how heavy it was..... it's still a beauty! :)

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 05:09:41 PM »

any coho over 8 is respectable. Nice fish, good to hear that they showed up
Fish killer 101

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 07:15:59 PM »

any coho over 8 is respectable. Nice fish, good to hear that they showed up

why 8???

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 08:05:18 PM »

I would give the big one 7-8 lbs maybe 9 at the most but it is definitely not 12 lbs.
Why would you say that ::)
How do you know it is definitely not 12lbs
bwibwi said he weighed it at home so why doubt him (if you want to question his post do it in a Pm and not on the site)
but the scale doesn't lie!
(your quote)
why not just say nice fish

congrats bwibwi on some nice fish and good report
hope you are not put off posting by doubters who have nothing better to do than accuse people of inflating fish weights

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 09:16:41 PM »

Silverslab think twice before you post stuff like that..... This is the main reason why many people don't post anymore, you say 1 thing wrong and people will jump all over you. If you want reports int he future, just keep it to yourself (applies for everyone!) no-one wants to hear some comptuer jockey harassing a guy that caught fish.

Yes the ho's are in. Lost 2 tonight, great job on landing them, they sure are acrobatic  ;D  I would agree with you on 12 pnds too, that thing is CRAZY fat.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »

Nice fish.  Glad to see some nice ho's being landed.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 11:48:24 PM »

Ya, we definitely need to show some respect to our fellow fishers who, after a tired day, still want to spend the time  to report and to entertain us with their fishing story. We should not have a blood hound mentality trying to jump any posters who are just trying to share their excitement. It is better to build fisherman brotherhood than to tear it apart.