Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, September 25th 2008  (Read 3020 times)

lucky

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, September 25th 2008
« on: September 25, 2008, 02:53:42 PM »

After reading some of the good reports lately Ive found myself daydreaming of fish on the line. Today I hoped to turn my dreams into reality as I headed east for the first time in a couple weeks.

Arrived at my spot on the lower shortly after sunrise, in no time five other anglers would join me, this was no big deal as it meant I just might get to see some fish! We flogged the waters for an hour with nothing to show for anyone, at this time I bid my farewell and decided to break from the group in search of some solitude.

Working my way up river I saw a couple big chinook surface which brought my attention back to the river. In the first two runs I passed all I could catch were a couple steelhead smolt that attacked my roe. The third pool would be my last as I finally hooked into a chinook, the fish made a couple of mad runs across the river before I was able to pull her into a side channel and apply the rock shampoo. She was dime bright with sealice on her and weighed in at 16lbs, a nice manageable size for the long hike back to the truck.

When I left at noon the water was in perfect shape, and if gas wasn't soooo expensive I'd probably be back out there tomorrow!

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: Chilliwack River, September 25th 2008
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 03:03:22 PM »

gorgeous!

fishbuster

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 03:15:16 PM »

Nice fish Lucky.  I to was out this morning bright and early.  Fishing was slow, I also was fishing the lower.  With nobody in sight I continued to work the run and move around a little.  With no takers and no fish showing I walked down river to some faster water, threw on a new roe bag and into the water it goes and bam, a quick fight and it's over, back in it goes and bam, fish on, fish off.  Time for a new roe bag and back in it goes, nothing, then again I try, and it goes down again, this time I bring in a scrappy hatchery coho jack.  That's it for that run.  I move down river once again and I'm into another fish, feels like another jack, but it to gets off.  Not batting to good today but was able to find some fish.  Had to really hunt for them today.  Saw no other fish out there.  River was in good shape.  

one more cast

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 03:26:04 PM »

That's a nice bright fish, you ARE Lucky :D...congrates.

-Steve

yakideath12

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 06:41:05 PM »

damn! im going tomorrow!!!! cant wait till tomo!!!!! ;D

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 07:22:42 PM »

as an added bonus the fish was a red spring!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 07:27:28 PM »

Now that's what I call Lucky

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 08:20:44 PM »

as an added bonus the fish was a red spring!

That is a bonus.  Lucky indeed... ;D ;D ;D  Actually, it could be a marble with mostly red meat.  But who cares?  I bet it'll bbq up real nice!

bushmaster

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 08:49:07 PM »

lucky i keep gettting chrome whites...what  i would for a nice red

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 10:58:22 PM »

You lucky guy indeed.  ;D What a chromer. Congrats.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 12:01:42 AM »

Very nice. :)

blueline

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 08:45:01 AM »

with all the good reports - I took the day off and went out to the Vedder too
boy is the water was clear
tried the lower part with no results - then went to the top end in the afternoon
saw several coho break the surface - but they were very selective - so with no success for me
didn't see any other fisherman getting any action
but it is still great to be on the river

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 06:36:51 PM »

Some how I wound up on the river armed with tackleshop roe and some blades.  It was about 8:30 or so already so I tried to avoid the crowdds and sneak past them to a nice little run that never seems to see much of any people.  A couple casts in my roe gets hit and the short but spirited battle is one with a nice little hatchery coho.  After no other signs of life out of this run for the next little while, I head on up river for what turned out to be about an hr walk before I found a nice deserted stretch of river.  Bait up with some roe again, toss it on out there and a good hit and float down.  The fight is on.  This was a much longer hard pulling fight with a bar chrome spring.  After a while the fish come to hand and receives a rock shower.  Yeah no more tackle shop roe for another year.... hopefully.  Ok so my day is going well, to runs 2 fish.  I start to wander a bit, finding noting really worth casting to, so I head back down to go past where I was when I see some fish starting to rise.  Might as well not leave fish to find fish, now let's see if they'll hit.  Put the roe back on and have at it.  After a while, finally the float rockets back under and the fight is on.  Nice flash's of chrome and some real nice headshakes and I can see the fish rolling to the surface... still can't tell what it is just yet though.  After some real good runs I finally get it close.   A bar chrome really nice sized doe chum....wow.  Never seen one like this on the Vedder before.    After that, was into probably 7 or so more fish, a couple springs which I lost and a couple more buck chum that were in really nice shape, I mean really nice shape.  The last one hammering my blade as I was now out of roe.
That was my day.
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

__hooked__

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 07:55:39 PM »

Sounds like a pretty good day. would you happen to have any pick of that chum?

Thanks for the report ;)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 08:10:22 PM »

Tried but my all my batteries were dead, both sets. :'(  But thanks for reminding me, I'll recharge them right now for tomorrow. ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!